Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853155 times)

Alfred R Jones

Thankyou for raising this important issue.
Portugese people can easily donate directly to Projecto Justiça Gonçalo Amaral
http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/
I'm not sure how many Portuguese people read this forum but I suppose every little helps *pats bum*

Offline Carana

Thankyou for raising this important issue.
Portugese people can easily donate directly to Projecto Justiça Gonçalo Amaral
http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/

As neither fund is a registered charity, I don't see why anyone of any nationality can't or shouldn't donate to either if they feel so inclined.... But why create a second one? 

Offline pegasus

As neither fund is a registered charity, I don't see why anyone of any nationality can't or shouldn't donate to either if they feel so inclined.... But why create a second one?
There is only one fund for Mr Amaral's legal defence it is Projecto Justiça Gonçalo Amaral.
All donations to the UK gofundme appeal are transferred directly into that fund's bank account.
Totally transparent.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 04:46:07 PM by pegasus »

Alfred R Jones

There is only one fund for Mr Amaral's legal defence it is Projecto Justiça Gonçalo Amaral.
All donations to the UK gofundme appeal are transferred directly into that fund's bank account.
Totally transparent.
Have those funds already been transferred and what funds from the PJGA fund have been withdrawn?

Offline Carana

Totally transparent.

So why start a new fund?

Offline Carana

I have some evidence of high respect for him at the top level of a national political party.
And locally by real people in Olhão.
His selection as their candidate by the Partido Social Democrata indicated great respect by them for him.
And his amazing 53% in the pre-election poll shows the huge local public respect for him.
I would like to see him on the UK £1 stamp.

Hmmm. Would you care to elaborate on those points, Pegasus?

Offline G-Unit

The files don't draw the conclusions Amaral draws in his book do they?  The right to the presumption of innocence applies to everyone, but I don't see what difference that makes in this case, and yes, I  believe ex-policemen are expected to uphold this principle, why wouldn't they be?

Amaral takes one of the possibilities from the files as his thesis and attempts to prove that it is the correct thesis. The judge didn't rule on the correctness or otherwise of his conclusion, she just said it upset the McCanns. The presumption of innocence was ruled upon, so it's very important. I don't know if an ex policeman has to uphold the presumption of innocence of everyone or just of suspects.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Alfred R Jones

Amaral takes one of the possibilities from the files as his thesis and attempts to prove that it is the correct thesis. The judge didn't rule on the correctness or otherwise of his conclusion, she just said it upset the McCanns. The presumption of innocence was ruled upon, so it's very important. I don't know if an ex policeman has to uphold the presumption of innocence of everyone or just of suspects.
Well if an ex-policeman doesn't have to uphold the presumption of innocence of everyone then that means he is able to accuse everyone EXCEPT actual suspects of criminal acts, is that just and fair?

Offline G-Unit

Well if an ex-policeman doesn't have to uphold the presumption of innocence of everyone then that means he is able to accuse everyone EXCEPT actual suspects of criminal acts, is that just and fair?

Justice and fairness don't come into it really. It's what the law says which counts and the law isn't always about justice and fairness. I assume he would be sued, which seems to be the only recourse if someone says you did bad things, unless someone knows better?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline pegasus

Have those funds already been transferred and what funds from the PJGA fund have been withdrawn?
Up to 31 May £23910 had been paid from gofundme's bank to the BPI PJGA account.
What is the corresponding figure for whatever fund pays the legal expenses of those who oppose Mr Amaral ?

Alfred R Jones

Up to 31 May £23910 had been paid from gofundme's bank to the BPI PJGA account.
What is the corresponding figure for whatever fund pays the legal expenses of those who oppose Mr Amaral ?
I have no idea - you claimed that the Gonc Fund was completely transparent so that's why I asked the question, I assumed the answer would be readily forthcoming.

Offline pegasus

Hmmm. Would you care to elaborate on those points, Pegasus?
His selection as mayoral candidate shows high regard by a major national political party.
And 53% in pre-election poll shows the high regard of him by people of Olhão.
(I got some dates wrong but the high regard stands)
ETA he was selected in 2008 and the prelections poll was about 23 Jan 2009.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 05:24:58 PM by pegasus »

Offline Carana

I can see your question... but it's not just that he's any old ex-cop, he was the coordinator and therefore could be assumed to know what he was talking about.

There must be all kinds of permutations... What would be the situation if he accused Mr Joe Blow? If Mr Blow had made an innocuous statement, but which appeared to Amaral as highly suspicious due to gut feeling... should those suspicions be made public? What if Mr Blow had never even been officially interviewed? Does that change anything?

Loads of people can become "persons of interest" at some point during a major investigation... It doesn't mean that they dunnit, though, does it? Nor that their names should be dragged through the mud as if they had done. And in particularly emotive cases such as the disappearance of a child, or even the suspected rape / murder of an adult... you and / or members of your family can be exposed to misguided vigilante action.

How on earth is that considered "normal" in a civilised society?

Offline Carana

His selection as mayoral candidate shows high regard by a major national political party.
And 53% in pre-election poll in shows the high regard of him by people of Olhão.
(I got some dates wrong but the high regard stands)

Where does the idea that he was considered in high regard by a major national political party come from and which party was it? Which pre-election poll? Who conducted it?

Offline pegasus

I explain by saying that the Conservative party had and still has very high regard for their Brighton candidate. The proof is that they selected him over all others. It is the same that the Partido Social Democrata had and still has high regard for Mr G Amaral. The proof is that they selected him as mayoral candidate over all others. I don't know who conducted the opinion poll but someone at the top of the national party talked of it so I am sure it is legit.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 05:51:45 PM by pegasus »