Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853477 times)

Offline Eleanor

I explain by saying that the Conservative party had and still has very high regard for their Brighton candidate. The proof is that they selected him over all others. It is the same that the Partido Social Democrata had and still has high regard for Mr G Amaral. The proof is that they selected him as mayoral candidate over all others. I don't know who conducted the opinion poll but someone at the top of the national party talked of it so I am sure it is legit.

So what happened?  Why did they drop him if he was such a favourite?

Alfred R Jones

David Cameron had a quiet word...

Offline Eleanor

David Cameron had a quiet word...

Are you sure it wasn't Boris.  I could see the sense to that.

Offline G-Unit

I can see your question... but it's not just that he's any old ex-cop, he was the coordinator and therefore could be assumed to know what he was talking about.

There must be all kinds of permutations... What would be the situation if he accused Mr Joe Blow? If Mr Blow had made an innocuous statement, but which appeared to Amaral as highly suspicious due to gut feeling... should those suspicions be made public? What if Mr Blow had never even been officially interviewed? Does that change anything?

Loads of people can become "persons of interest" at some point during a major investigation... It doesn't mean that they dunnit, though, does it? Nor that their names should be dragged through the mud as if they had done. And in particularly emotive cases such as the disappearance of a child, or even the suspected rape / murder of an adult... you and / or members of your family can be exposed to misguided vigilante action.

How on earth is that considered "normal" in a civilised society?

I suppose he may have seen himself as being in the same position as a whistle blower. He thought there was unprecedented support for the Tapas 9 from the UK. He thought the secret services were present. He decided at some point that UK police were only there to protect the McCanns. He believed there was political pressure on the PJ. When he voiced his concerns he was removed from the investigation. He became upset because the PJ didn't support him. That seems to be why he decided to write his book.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline pegasus

Hypothetically imagine how annoyed you are if you are highly regarded candidate in any UK local election and predicted to win then suddenly whoosh sorry you are being replaced for no reason bye.
ETA Mr Amaral has stated what he believes happened in Jan 2009.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 06:58:46 PM by pegasus »

Offline Brietta

I suppose he may have seen himself as being in the same position as a whistle blower. He thought there was unprecedented support for the Tapas 9 from the UK. He thought the secret services were present. He decided at some point that UK police were only there to protect the McCanns. He believed there was political pressure on the PJ. When he voiced his concerns he was removed from the investigation. He became upset because the PJ didn't support him. That seems to be why he decided to write his book.

That all sounds as if he was not only delusional but in complete denial about how much his own actions had contributed to the mess his life had been in for some time.

Nothing seems to have changed for him really ... it will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings with it, although I doubt very much if we will find out anything about the grounds he may be presenting for his appeal to be considered.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

Hypothetically imagine how annoyed you are if you are highly regarded candidate in any UK local election and predicted to win then suddenly whoosh sorry you are being replaced for no reason bye.

£5%4%                 Why would Gerry McCann even know or care that Mr Amaral had political ambitions?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Eleanor

Mr Amaral has stated what he says happened.

He has got a Criminal Record you know.

Offline Eleanor

Paranoid you mean.  And a touch delusional.

stephen25000

Paranoid you mean.  And a touch delusional.

That would be the view of some, others might say he was right.

His removal followed accusations of UK interference in the case.

Offline Eleanor

That would be the view of some, others might say he was right.

His removal followed accusations of UK interference in the case.

Others might say he was responsible for the leaks.  Although his Editor thinks he made it all up.

Which ever which way, he has to file an Appeal by tomorrow.

Alfred R Jones

if that is all true then he sounds like a paranoid [ censored word ].  No wonder he's so popular with the "sceptic" community.

stephen25000

Others might say he was responsible for the leaks.  Although his Editor thinks he made it all up.

Which ever which way, he has to file an Appeal by tomorrow.

There were leaks on all sides.

Something tells me this case is far from over.

Offline Carana

I explain by saying that the Conservative party had and still has very high regard for their Brighton candidate. The proof is that they selected him over all others. It is the same that the Partido Social Democrata had and still has high regard for Mr G Amaral. The proof is that they selected him as mayoral candidate over all others. I don't know who conducted the opinion poll but someone at the top of the national party talked of it so I am sure it is legit.

So you haven't found anything to substantiate that?

I had a look as well.

Setting aside blog entries from his fan club, about all I can find is from Portugal News:
Ex-Maddie cop runs for mayor
in News · 17-01-2009 00:00:00 · 0 Comments

Gonçalo Amaralo, former detective in the Madeleine McCann disappearance case and author of the controversial book ‘Maddie: The Truth about the Lie’ has confirmed he is set to run for Mayor of Olhão, representing social-democratic party PSD/Algarve.

(...)

Better known for his roles in the ‘Madeline McCann’ and ‘Joana’ cases – two children, one British, one Portuguese, both of whom disappeared in separate incidents in the Algarve – ex-police officer Gonçalo Amaralo said his most recent challenge is the “result of my availability and an invitation that was made by PSD/Algarve and the local municipality”.

(...)

Tavira Mayor of twelve years Macário Correia has voiced his approval of Sr. Amaral’s nomination, considering it “positive”, that the PSD party has found a candidate that has “a strong civic participation and who has fought for justice”.

Hmmm.

I'd never heard of this chap, but I found this:
O Supremo Tribunal Administrativo determinou "a perda do actual mandato" de Macário Correira, presidente da Câmara de Faro, por violação do Plano Regional do Ordenamento do Território do Algarve e Plano Diretor Municipal em 2006.

http://www.dn.pt/inicio/portugal/interior.aspx?content_id=2646210

It seems that he's another one whose found himself in a bit of legal bother... and he's not even the deputy mayor who literally munched up documents during a police raid.

Never a dull moment down there...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:38:31 PM by Carana »

Offline Brietta

So you haven't found anything to substantiate that?

I had a look as well.

Setting aside blog entries from his fan club, about all I can find is from Portugal News:
Ex-Maddie cop runs for mayor
in News · 17-01-2009 00:00:00 · 0 Comments

Gonçalo Amaralo, former detective in the Madeleine McCann disappearance case and author of the controversial book ‘Maddie: The Truth about the Lie’ has confirmed he is set to run for Mayor of Olhão, representing social-democratic party PSD/Algarve.

(...)

Better known for his roles in the ‘Madeline McCann’ and ‘Joana’ cases – two children, one British, one Portuguese, both of whom disappeared in separate incidents in the Algarve – ex-police officer Gonçalo Amaralo said his most recent challenge is the “result of my availability and an invitation that was made by PSD/Algarve and the local municipality”.

(...)

Tavira Mayor of twelve years Macário Correia has voiced his approval of Sr. Amaral’s nomination, considering it “positive”, that the PSD party has found a candidate that has “a strong civic participation and who has fought for justice”.

Hmmm.

I'd never heard of this chap, but I found this:
O Supremo Tribunal Administrativo determinou "a perda do actual mandato" de Macário Correira, presidente da Câmara de Faro, por violação do Plano Regional do Ordenamento do Território do Algarve e Plano Diretor Municipal em 2006.

http://www.dn.pt/inicio/portugal/interior.aspx?content_id=2646210

It seems that he's another one whose found himself in a bit of legal bother... and he's not even the deputy mayor who literally munched up documents during a police raid.

Never a dull moment down there...

Part of the problem we have is that we have access only to translations we are given, few of us speak, read or write Portuguese ... with the result that the information we have to hand is filtered and we see those parts we are allowed to see and those parts which are spun for one individual and against others.

I think Portugal is no longer going to tolerate corruption at any level and have been proactive for the past few years in rooting out the dinosaurs.

I think Mr Amaral's time has come and gone in Portugal where it really matters to him ... perhaps tomorrow will find us one step further forward in the saga and we may be able to judge where it all goes from here.