Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853037 times)

Offline Montclair

No. Two things only.

1. Did Amaral break the rules by using information gathered while case co-cordinator to write his book? The judge says he did because he published his book just three days after the release of the files.
2. Were the McCanns entitled  to the presumption of innocence? The judge said they were entitled to be presumed innocent by Amaral as he is a retired policeman and is as such still bound by the rules applied to those involved in the Judicial process.

1. As for breaking the secret of justice rules, was a formal complaint made? If so, did the Ministério Público follow it up? Was an investigation carried out? Was a formal accusation made? No! So, I can't see how the judge can decide that Gonçalo Amaral broke the secrecy of justice law when there was no accusation, no trial, he wasn't given an opportunity to defend himself, solely based on the three days. IMO, it was not in her remit to make this decision.
2. In the book and in interviews Gonçalo Amaral has never said outright that the McCanns were guilty, he only states that they were suspected of hiding their daughter's body and this is in accordance with the investigation of which he was a part.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 08:25:15 PM by Montclair »

Offline Carana

I just don't see how an arguido in a torture affair could be the best that the higher echelons of the PSD could find as a rising political star...

Moreover, even in the Algarve, his name appears to have been somewhat controversial:

Gonçalo Amaral splits PSD coordinating commitee for local elections Diário de Notícias

JOSÉ MANUEL OLIVEIRA & PAULA SÁ
Thanks to ‘Astro’ for translation

Candidacy. The former inspector’s name has caught the Algarvian mayors by surprise

The PSD Algarve district section votes on the name on Monday

The candidacy of Gonçalo Amaral to become Mayor of Olhão on behalf of PSD [Social Democratic Party] has been the cause of disruption within the party. And it even splits the social democrat coordinating committee for local elections. DN knows that at least one of its members, Miguel Macedo, has frontally manifested himself to his peers against the name of the former inspector, considering that he does not match the profile of mayor that PSD should defend.

But the tendency within the group that is presided over by Castro Almeida – which also includes Luís Marques Guedes and José Luís Arnaut – is to consider that Gonçalo is a good bet for one of the city halls that are most hard to conquer in the Algarve.

The former PJ coordinator’s candidacy has caught most of the party’s supporters and mayors of the Algarve by surprise. “For me, it’s a surprise. I only know the gentleman from the media, due to the media-exposed processes of the Maddie case in which he was involved until he left the PJ, and more recently for being on trial at the Court of Faro, with other colleagues, in a process of alleged aggressions against a lady who was condemned for killing her daughter”, said Fernando Viegas, a town councillor in Tavira and president of the Party Members’ Assembly of the party’s municipal section. For the president of the Municipality of Alcoutim, Francisco Amaral, the former PJ inspector represents “added value and a breath of fresh air in politics because this is a serious person who is free of other interests, who is used to deeply investigating the processes and who, above all, cares about justice”. Nuno Marques, a town councillor in Lagos and president of PSD’s municipal section, as well as member of the board of the district section, prefers to wait for this organ’s meeting, on Monday evening, in Faro, where Gonçalo Amaral’s candidacy will be subject to a vote, to pronounce himself.

- See more at: http://madeleinemccann.org/blog/2014/04/20/goncalo-amaral/#sthash.DqZEnfsg.dpuf

His name as a candidate was, however, apparently approved by a majority of the Faro PSD section, due to the "valuable and brilliant curriculum of the former inspector".

Who represented the Faro PSD section?

Social-democrat section of the district of Faro approve Gonçalo Amaral’s name, 20 January 2009

Social-democrat section of the district of Faro approve Gonçalo Amaral’s name TSF

Jan 20 2009 – 10:16
Thanks to Astro for translation

The Social-democrat section of the district of Faro has approved the name of Gonçalo Amaral as a candidate to the Municipality of Olhão by a large majority. Nevertheless, the name of the former Polícia Judiciária inspector does not earn approval from the leader of PSD, Manuela Ferreira Leite.

The name of Gonçalo Amaral has been approved by the vast majority of the members of the Social-democrat section of the district of Faro, as a candidate to become Mayor of Olhão, according to this entity’s political commission.

In a public note, the district section stressed that the former PJ inspector, who has investigated the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, possesses the political and personal profile that has been defined by the guidelines for local elections which have been approved by PSD.

Despite the fact that the Social-democrat leader does not see this candidacy in a positive manner, the Faro district section of PSD recalled that Gonçalo Amaral retired on the 30th of June and that if he steps into functions, this will occur one year and four months after he left the public service.

The district section’s political committee also noted the valuable and brilliant curriculum of the former inspector, who has been a member of the Party since May 2002, and which he didn’t desert despite the less positive moment of the Social Democrats.

One week ago, PSD’s president rejected the former inspector’s candidacy because he has recently left a post within Justice and that there could be no promiscuity between this sector of society and politics.

- See more at: http://madeleinemccann.org/blog/2014/04/20/goncalo-amaral/#sthash.DqZEnfsg.dpuf

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 08:32:09 PM by Carana »

Alfred R Jones

1. As for breaking the secret of justice rules, was a formal complaint made? If so, did the Ministério Público follow it up? Was an investigation carried out? Was a formal accusation made? No! So, I can't see how the judge can decide that Gonçalo Amaral broke the secrecy of justice law when there was no accusation, no trial, he wasn't given an opportunity to defend himself, solely based on the three days. IMO, it was not in her remit to make this decision.
2. In the book and in interviews Gonçalo Amaral has never said outright that the McCanns were guilty, he only states that they were suspected of hiding their daughter's body and this is in accordance with the investigation of which he was a part.

Does this passage not appear in the book's final chapter then?

The conclusions my team and I have arrived at are the following:

1. The minor, Madeleine McCann died inside apartment 5A of the Ocean Club in Vila da Luz, on the night of May 3rd 2007;

2. There was simulation of abduction.

3. Kate Healy and Gerald McCann were probably involved in the concealment of their daughter's body.

4. The death may have occurred as a result of a tragic accident;

5. The evidence proves the parents' negligence concerning the care and safety of the children.

The sun is going down over this beautiful countryside. Children are playing under the watchful gaze of their parents. I think about the enthusiasm that was characteristic of him when I met Tavares in November 1981, at the judiciary police school, and which still fires him. The past seems distant, but it's not forgotten. We gave the best of ourselves to resolve this case. Our conclusions rest on the proven facts and the evidence interpreted within the principles of the law. Our work was done in the cause of justice, based on the material truth, the only thing that must prevail in a universe where the lie is raised up as truth.

The End

Offline Mr Gray

It is amazing how little you understand about the case...amaral has stated as a fact Maddie died in the apartment

Offline Carana

Does this passage not appear in the book's final chapter then?

Not just the book.

What about in his docu drama?

My name is Goncalo Amaral and I was a police investigator for the Judiciary Police for 27 years. I co-ordinated the investigation of the disappearance of Madeleine McCann on the 3rd of May 2007. During the next 50 minutes I will PROVE that the child was not abducted and that she died in the holiday apartment in Praia da Luz. Discover all the truth about what happened that day. A death that many want to cover up.

Offline Eleanor

I don't suppose we could get back On Topic, could we?

Offline Montclair

It is amazing how little you understand about the case...amaral has stated as a fact Maddie died in the apartment

It's amazing how little you understand about the case. The quote came from the report dated 10 September 2007 signed by Tavares de Almeida and was a report of the conclusions of the investigation as of that date and is not presented as Gonçalo Amaral's personal opinion on the investigation. This information is in the police file.

Offline Mr Gray

It's amazing how little you understand about the case. The quote came from the report dated 10 September 2007 signed by Tavares de Almeida and was a report of the conclusions of the investigation as of that date and is not presented as Gonçalo Amaral's personal opinion on the investigation. This information is in the police file.

amaral stated he could prove Maddie died in the apartment...he was talking BS and he's been caught out

Offline faithlilly

I have no idea - you claimed that the Gonc Fund was completely transparent so that's why I asked the question, I assumed the answer would be readily forthcoming.

That is a very good question though. How will the McCanns fund their legal representation in Portugal now if the only justification for using the fund, the damage to the search for Madeleine, has been dismissed by the judge ?

Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Alfred R Jones

That is a very good question though. How will the McCanns fund their legal representation in Portugal now if the only justification for using the fund, the damage to the search for Madeleine, has been dismissed by the judge ?
quick, start a fund for them Faithlilly, you wouldn't want Gonc to have an unfair advantage now, would you?

Offline misty

You presume the McCanns will require further legal representation in Portugal?
GA hasn't cleared the first hurdle yet.

Offline pegasus

Here is an spun-in-distorted-pink article from NOTW.
The original news was that a highly regarded man of integrity had been selected by the top level of a leading portuguese political party as candidate for mayor of a small town called Olhão. A big honour and well deserved, because of his excellent experience in the PJ and his high level of ethics.
Those plain facts must have been a major threat to some individual as is proved by the pathetic spin which perverted the true good news by inserting the words "shamed" "booted out" "outrage" " right-wing" and by putting "MAYOR" in capitals which implies disgust.
What was the next thing that happened, just a few days after 11th JAN 2009?

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:25:50 AM by pegasus »

Offline misty

Here is an spun-in-distorted-pink article from NOTW.
The original news was that a highly regarded man of integrity had been selected by the top level of a leading portuguese political party as candidate for mayor of a small town called Olhão. A big honour and well deserved, because of his excellent experience in the PJ and his high level of ethics.
Those plain facts must have been a major threat to some individual as is proved by the pathetic spin which perverted the true good news by inserting the words "shamed" "booted out" "outrage" " right-wing" and by putting "MAYOR" in capitals which implies disgust.
What was the next thing that happened, just a few days after 11th May 2009?

I take it you mean a few days after 11th Jan 2009, ie 13th Jan when Gerry made his surprise trip to Lisbon with Edward Smethurst?

Offline pegasus

Misty you are OTB and that's a compliment.

BTW what happened to Gonçalo 2nd Feb 2009 for no stated reason?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:40:37 AM by pegasus »

Offline misty

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/ex-maddie-cop-runs-for-mayor/25896

Ex-Maddie cop runs for mayor
IN NEWS · 17-01-2009 00:00:00 · 0 COMMENTS
Gonçalo Amaralo, former detective in the Madeleine McCann disappearance case and author of the controversial book ‘Maddie: The Truth about the Lie’ has confirmed he is set to run for Mayor of Olhão, representing social-democratic party PSD/Algarve.

The former Chief Inspector has also said he already has architectural projects in the pipeline, though his priority is to combat the “chronic unemployment” that is affecting the region.
Better known for his roles in the ‘Madeline McCann’ and ‘Joana’ cases – two children, one British, one Portuguese, both of whom disappeared in separate incidents in the Algarve – ex-police officer Gonçalo Amaralo said his most recent challenge is the “result of my availability and an invitation that was made by PSD/Algarve and the local municipality”.
He said “the time has come to offer support, to intervene and not stay sitting at home. I will once again be serving people, but this time with a different function”.
As Olhão is the country’s fourth city with the most unemployed citizens, the ex-cop has decided tackling unemployment would be his first mission.
Tavira Mayor of twelve years Macário Correia has voiced his approval of Sr. Amaral’s nomination, considering it “positive”, that the PSD party has found a candidate that has “a strong civic participation and who has fought for justice”.
Now 48 years old, Gonçalo Amaral joined the PJ police force in 1981, studying sociology, psychology, psychiatry and Criminal Investigation at the Lisbon police school.
This was followed by a course in law and a 17-year career with the PJ force culminating as chief inspector, in 1998, before controversially retiring under much speculation during the Madeleine McCann investigation, of which he was the original case coordinator.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to admire the man- is there no limit to all his skills? All those University qualifications & then becoming involved in architectural matters so soon after publishing 2 books.