Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 852930 times)

Offline John

If he had any such information, he would have been obliged to hand it over to the PJ... if that's the case, what did Paiva do with it? Paiva was, after all, one of his witnesses...

The PJ is an organisation which still works on the basis of secrecy and the need to know and I cannot see that changing any time soon.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Brietta

The PJ is an organisation which still works on the basis of secrecy and the need to know and I cannot see that changing any time soon.

Going by the number of recent 'busts' concerning members of all branches of law enforcement, it seems the Portuguese authorities are making great efforts to get rid of the merest sniff of corruption.

I'm not sure that they would look kindly on an "Ace" being kept hidden for years to be produced at a time of Mr Amaral's choosing if it involves evidence in a case such as Madeleine McCann's.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Mr Gray

The idea that amaral has any useful information is simply ridiculous...IMO

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
I hadn't noticed this before. Quite poignant, IMO. Moreover, it helps to clarify the point that just because something appears in the police files doesn't make it true.

Art 27 and 28. The decision concerning this issue faces, firstly, the problem of the dichotomy between "facts ascertained during the investigating process" and "facts that also are part of the investigating process". If “acts ascertained in the investigation" refers to those which, with rigour and according to the procedural-penal dogma, are the result of the investigation that was achieved, then only one deserves this qualification – the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.
(P.10)
http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/v02.htm

That's some report, Carana. Have you done the actual income sums?  £5%4%
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

Offline misty

Going by the number of recent 'busts' concerning members of all branches of law enforcement, it seems the Portuguese authorities are making great efforts to get rid of the merest sniff of corruption.

I'm not sure that they would look kindly on an "Ace" being kept hidden for years to be produced at a time of Mr Amaral's choosing if it involves evidence in a case such as Madeleine McCann's.

It may be that the "ace" is nothing to do with the McCanns & everything to do with the powers-that-be in Portugal. Maybe he has to wait for the right time to play it.

Offline misty

Is anyone else slightly concerned that GA has not directly thanked the UK public for the massive donations to his fund, either on PJGA or his own Facebook page?

Offline pegasus

Is this just another way of saying "tick-tock, softly, softly catchee monkey" by any chance?
No, based on research

ferryman

Is anyone else slightly concerned that GA has not directly thanked the UK public for the massive donations to his fund, either on PJGA or his own Facebook page?

Not concerned, no.

But I think you do raise a very good point.

Perhaps he's not grateful.

I can think of (legitimate!) reasons why that might be ....

Offline Carana

As far as I can work out, he played his aces years ago... Including getting his lawyer to introduce an out-of-context- snippet from a restricted NPIA report.

I don't quite see how that got introduced into the proceedings, but he managed it. And the anticipated fireworks went down like a lead balloon.

Offline Carana

No, I haven't, DCI, as I don't know where to find what the estimated income was based on.

Offline Brietta

I didn't bother making the calculation DCI ... but quite an eye watering difference.  Wonder where it all went, more than a swanky car and a diamond earring's worth there?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

The people running the fund have. I imagine he is keeping his distance in case people accuse him of collecting the money himself.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

ferryman

The people running the fund have. I imagine he is keeping his distance in case people accuse him of collecting the money himself.

If he is denied leave to appeal, that would scarcely be an accusation.

The money is in the form of a gift and can be used for any purpose (apparently!)

If it can't be used to fund his appeal (because he is not allowed to appeal) the next logical (and obvious) use for the money would be to defray his liability to the McCanns and other expenses (legal and court fees) with (I suppose) anything left over going to Amaral.

Offline Carana

@ DCI

I have no problem with subtracting VAT... but even so these figures must have come from somewhere and I can't find that document.

Something that I've found curious for quite some time concerns the supposed non-existent sales in Brazil, in theory a country with a massive potential market and in which the addiction to telenovelas appears to be second only to football.

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
No, I haven't, DCI, as I don't know where to find what the estimated income was based on.

These are without his interview fees.

1. Gonçalo Amaral made the statements that are attributed to him under the Correio da Manhã.Proved.

2. Proved that the defendant Guerra&Paz fixed the cover price of the book Maddie - A Verdade da Mentira in Portugal is € 13,33.

According to the affirmation 2 : 13,80, VAT included (6%).
3. and 4. Proved that the defendant Gonçalo Amaral earned from the sales of the book “Maddie, A Verdade da Mentira” in 2008 and 2009 an amount of € 342.111,86.

According to the affirmation 3 : GA earned from the sales in Portugal € 621.000.
According to the affirmation 4, GA has earned from the sale of editions in foreign languages of the book not less than € 498.750.

5. The book was sold in Brazil by the defendant Guerra e Paz, Editores SA.
Not proved.

6. Proved that the DVD was sold for € 6,95 byPresselivre Imprensa SA together with the newspaper Correio da Manhã, owned by this company.
According to the affirmation 6 : cover price of € 6.

7. Proved that the defendant Gonçalo Amaral earned € 40.000 from DVD sales in 2008.
According to the affirmation 7, he earned from the sale of the DVD € 112.500.

Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/