Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853037 times)

ferryman

I don't see how witterings about anything would affect the issues under consideration.

Probably not, to Amaral's advantage.

Which would make the McCanns outright winners at first instance ....

Offline Carana

Probably not, to Amaral's advantage.

Which would make the McCanns outright winners at first instance ....

How so?

ferryman

How so?

Because Amaral has no basis of appeal.

He has written a book stating theMcCannsdunitandcovereditup, when no serious follower of events (including two national police forces and the Portuguese prosecutors) concur with that view.

So that just leaves the size of the award to challenge, which doesn't seem excessive compared to money made from sales, interviews (etc.)

Offline Carana

He has written a book stating theMcCannsdunitandcovereditup, when no serious follower of events (including two national police forces and the Portuguese prosecutors) concur with that view.

So that just leaves the size of the award to challenge, which doesn't seem excessive compared to money made from sales, interviews (etc.)

The judge only took into account the public prosecutors' ruling. The fact that the case has since been reopened or that he has continued to spout his theory since doesn't appear to have been raised, possibly because these events took place after the timeframe in question. Don't forget how long this has been going on for.

Offline Benice

Has the timeline for an appeal expired?  Or is there a facility for requesting an extension?  plz

(If there has been any news on this - I must have missed it.)

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

ferryman

Has the timeline for an appeal expired?  Or is there a facility for requesting an extension?  plz

(If there has been any news on this - I must have missed it.)

There were 40 calendar days from a point towards the end of April.

There are 31 days in May and it's now 11 June

stephen25000

Wrong again.

Offline Benice

There were 40 calendar days from a point towards the end of April.

There are 31 days in May and it's now 11 June

Thanks Ferryman.   So even without counting any days in April  - at least 42 days have already passed. 

Maybe he's been given an extension.
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.

Offline Eleanor

Maybe he has lodged an Appeal, and is now waiting to see if it will be accepted, since his reasons will have to be considered.

I have no idea how long this could take.  Any ideas, anyone?

Offline pegasus

I thought £25k was supposed to be the trigger point for mass media interest...?
Yes there was an indication that reaching the £25K target would be the trigger point, at least for one major newspaper, when they would report on it. But still silence, even though it is now approaching £30K. IMO the articles are queued up at editor's desk but get no further. There's a journo who donated ages ago who said just that - 2 articles queued. Maybe something will be published when there is tangible proof the appeal has been both filed and accepted?

Offline Benice

Maybe he has lodged an Appeal, and is now waiting to see if it will be accepted, since his reasons will have to be considered.

I have no idea how long this could take.  Any ideas, anyone?

Yes that could be the case.    Perhaps an explanatory statement is on its way to his supporters.  They must be wondering too.

ferryman

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/

Projecto Justiça Gonçalo Amaral's Legal Defence account has received since April 28, 2015

- through Paypal:

€ 5643.62 (five thousand six hundred forty three euro and sixty two cents)
and
$ 90.57 (ninety dollars and fifty seven cents)

- through the GoFundMe page created by Leanne Baulch:

£ 23,910 (twenty three thousand nine hundred and ten pounds)

These amounts will be applied to cover expenses with the defence of Gonçalo Amaral, in the civil suit brought against him by the McCann family.

The appeal is being prepared by Mr Amaral's lawyers and will be filed in due time.

Once the appeal is filed, PJGA will publish a statement.

At this point, we would like to, once again, thank you for your immense support - and patience.

Our trust in Portuguese justice remains firmly in place.

Thank you.

Has there been an announcement?

Offline Carana

All im-modesty to the fore, I've yet to hear a more plausible explanation than mine of why Santos began proceedings with a plea that proceedings be in camera to protect Madeleine lest Madeleine be alive.

Libel was admitted, making sense of pronouncements about later proceedings that they were damages proceedings.

Indeed, proceedings to establish damage arising from proven and admitted libel ...

That's the lawyer who was dismissed by SMS, isn't it?

Gonçalo Amaral despede advogado por SMS

17.06.2014 9h01

Às dez da noite de sexta-feira o advogado Santos de Oliveira recebeu um SMS de Gonçalo Amaral a dispensar os seus serviços.

http://expresso.sapo.pt/sociedade/goncalo-amaral-despede-advogado-por-sms=f876140

ferryman

That's the lawyer who was dismissed by SMS, isn't it?

Gonçalo Amaral despede advogado por SMS

17.06.2014 9h01

Às dez da noite de sexta-feira o advogado Santos de Oliveira recebeu um SMS de Gonçalo Amaral a dispensar os seus serviços.

http://expresso.sapo.pt/sociedade/goncalo-amaral-despede-advogado-por-sms=f876140

It is.

He seemed to have got suckered in by poor on-line advice about the McCanns' legitimacy in bringing legal action in Madeleine's name.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:45:44 PM by ferryman »

Offline Angelo222

It is.

He seemed to have got suckered in by poor on-line advice about the McCanns' legitimacy in bringing legal action in Madeleine's name.

You just can't get a decent lawyer these days. 8(8-))
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!