Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853509 times)

Offline Brietta

If it goes through (which I expect it will), it will be nit-picking over one or more points of fact presented in court or law, IMO. E.g., the judge hadn't fully considered x, y or z and that a different interpretation could be made.

I think that is why the judge made her ruling so brutally short and to the point.  I think the intention was to make sure her decision would stand with no leeway for appeal.

What is to appeal?  He did breach confidentiality and he did deny the McCanns' their right to innocence.  As far as the amount concerned ... he probably made more from the book and documentary.

The longer it drags on without news of the lodgement of an appeal ... the more I think the judge may have made it impossible.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Alice Purjorick

It is.

He seemed to have got suckered in by poor on-line advice about the McCanns' legitimacy in bringing legal action in Madeleine's name.

In the long run it made no difference as the judge deffed out claims for the children.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

stephen25000

I think that is why the judge made her ruling so brutally short and to the point.  I think the intention was to make sure her decision would stand with no leeway for appeal.

What is to appeal?  He did breach confidentiality and he did deny the McCanns' their right to innocence.  As far as the amount concerned ... he probably made more from the book and documentary.

The longer it drags on without news of the lodgement of an appeal ... the more I think the judge may have made it impossible.

Here we go again.

Offline pegasus

£33K raised.
The UK press is silenced - it's almost as if one side has some kind of power over them.
And the desperate childish attempts to discredit the gofundme appeal have started.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:47:17 PM by pegasus »

Offline misty

£33K raised.
The UK press is silenced - it's almost as if one side has some kind of power over them.
And the desperate childish attempts to discredit the gofundme appeal have started.

Is there any press coverage anywhere?
Where is all the vocal support for a "wronged SIO" in Portugal? Unless they know something we don't.........

Alfred R Jones

£33K raised.
The UK Press is not silenced, it is indifferent, apart from the Star which will publish any old crap if it thinks it will sell a newspaper.

stephen25000

The UK Press is not silenced, it is indifferent, apart from the Star which will publish any old crap if it thinks it will sell a newspaper.

Yet the UK press will print stories supporting the McCanns claim of abduction, despite their being not one iota of evidence supporting that.

&%+(
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 08:44:24 PM by Eleanor »

Offline Carana

£33K raised.

What's newsworthy about the fact that he's likely to appeal?

The UK media haven't been silenced: there was an article in the Star when the new fund hit £25k. Plus one by Natasha Donn, evidently.

If ever the ruling eventually got overturned (which I doubt) or reduced to a nominal sum, that might spark a bit of interest due to the broader issues involved.

Offline Carana

LOL I hadn't seen your comment before posting.

Alfred R Jones

£33K raised.
According to some here Amaral is a national hero.  This being the case, perhaps you can supply links to the numerous PT press articles about this fundraising endeavour?  After all, I understand that despite his huge popularity in Portugal his own countrymen have been a little stingy on the donations front but I'm sure funds are flooding in now from the Portuguese following the huge media interest there...

ferryman

What's newsworthy about the fact that he's likely to appeal?

The UK media haven't been silenced: there was an article in the Star when the new fund hit £25k. Plus one by Natasha Donn, evidently.

If ever the ruling eventually got overturned (which I doubt) or reduced to a nominal sum, that might spark a bit of interest due to the broader issues involved.

Likely to appeal?

The date for appeals is passed and there is no confirmation that he has ...

stephen25000

Likely to appeal?

The date for appeals is passed and there is no confirmation that he has ...

Wait and see. 8((()*/

Offline pegasus

....I understand that despite his huge popularity in Portugal his own countrymen have been a little stingy on the donations front...
Possibly because the gofundme page is aimed at english speakers?
Portuguese people have donated directly to PJGA.

Alfred R Jones

Possibly because the gofundme page is aimed at english speakers?
Portuguese people have donated directly to PJGA.
I got severely reprimanded once for selective quoting someone else's post.  Perhaps you could now address the whole of my post?

Offline Alice Purjorick

Correct.
Being an old cynic one could say "Corpulent balding middle aged ex maybe bent copper appealing court judgement" don't sell copy.
"Cute little blonde girl with tennis balls"....kerching. But one would guess that particular kerching sells less copy than it used to so will wind down until something truly eye catching happens.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey