Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 852983 times)

Online Eleanor

Any further Insults will be deleted.

Offline Brietta

So ~ we have Mr Amaral asserting he will appeal the Court's decision.

As far as we know, the date for lodging an appeal was last Monday, and nothing from Mr Amaral saying he has done so.

Why the silence since the first interviews?

"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Mr Gray

We do know that amaral has form for making statements that are complete BS.....

MAY 2009....

Gonçalo Amaral: We are also going to court in another way, I'm going to proceed legally against the McCanns for defamation, and also for slanderous denunciations and false statements.

His silence now could well be a sign he has no grounds to appeal

Offline misty

If the donations made to GoFundMe are being paid directly into the BPI account, why is the PJGA page showing the total in £££s rather than Euros?

Offline pegasus

If the donations made to GoFundMe are being paid directly into the BPI account, why is the PJGA page showing the total in £££s rather than Euros?
Probably because transfers from GFM to that account are in GBP, which are converted to Euros by the recipient bank.

BTW can you tell me (1) who is paying for the legal expenditure of Mr Amaral's opponents? and (2) what currency they do accounting in?

Offline misty

Probably because transfers from GFM to that account are in GBP, which are converted to Euros by the recipient bank.

BTW can you tell me (1) who is paying for the legal expenditure of Mr Amaral's opponents? and (2) what currency they do accounting in?

The donations to GFM are also in dollars & Euros. GFM cannot pay funds directly into a Portuguese bank account. They are paid into a Stripe account which then transfers funds to PJGA. GFM deduct a fee, the owner of the Stripe account can stipulate a fee. Why isn't the net amount shown in Euros?

I'm not interested in who is funding the McCanns legal costs. I'm just interested in the set-up of PJGA & the silence from Amaral.

Offline pegasus

The donations to GFM are also in dollars & Euros. GFM cannot pay funds directly into a Portuguese bank account. They are paid into a Stripe account which then transfers funds to PJGA. GFM deduct a fee, the owner of the Stripe account can stipulate a fee. Why isn't the net amount shown in Euros?

I'm not interested in who is funding the McCanns legal costs. I'm just interested in the set-up of PJGA & the silence from Amaral.
They are a payment processor not an intermediate account Misty.
The money is transferred from GFM directly to the destination bank account in Portugal.

The GFM appeal honestly and transparently states that this appeal is to help pay Mr Amaral's legal costs.

Which fund on the other side has had the honesty and transparency to say - "we are helping pay the legal expenditure in this libel case against Mr Amaral"?

Offline Brietta

They are a payment processor not an intermediate account Misty.
The money is transferred from GFM directly to the destination bank account in Portugal.

The GFM appeal honestly and transparently states that this appeal is to help pay Mr Amaral's legal costs.

Which fund on the other side has had the honesty and transparency to say - "we are helping pay the legal expenditure in this libel case against Mr Amaral"?

About the Organizer
 Leanne Baulch
309 Facebook Friends | Verify Friendship
This person will receive your donation directly.
All payments are final and cannot be refunded.
Only give to people you know and trust.
https://www.gofundme.com/Legal-DefencePJGA/donate

GFM have no provision to collect or transfer funds ... the money goes into the bank account of the organiser of the appeal.

Money laundering legislation makes the sort of transfer envisaged a bit of a minefield, particularly between countries ... I hope Ms Baulch or her advisers have taken appropriate steps to minimise any risk to her arising from such considerations ... as of course, with possible tax issues.
While that money is under her name ... it is hers.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Jean-Pierre

About the Organizer
 Leanne Baulch
309 Facebook Friends | Verify Friendship
This person will receive your donation directly.
All payments are final and cannot be refunded.
Only give to people you know and trust.
https://www.gofundme.com/Legal-DefencePJGA/donate

GFM have no provision to collect or transfer funds ... the money goes into the bank account of the organiser of the appeal.

Money laundering legislation makes the sort of transfer envisaged a bit of a minefield, particularly between countries ... I hope Ms Baulch or her advisers have taken appropriate steps to minimise any risk to her arising from such considerations ... as of course, with possible tax issues.
While that money is under her name ... it is hers.

This is repeated over and over but without foundation. 

It will be a bank to bank transfer and the source of the money is traceable and has an audit trail via gofundme.  All payments are via credit or debit cards.

Tax?  The money is legally gifts. And not in return for any service.  Therefore it woukd not be taxable under any European or us legalisation.

Offline Brietta

This is repeated over and over but without foundation. 

It will be a bank to bank transfer and the source of the money is traceable and has an audit trail via gofundme.  All payments are via credit or debit cards.

Tax?  The money is legally gifts. And not in return for any service.  Therefore it woukd not be taxable under any European or us legalisation.

I am not impugning Ms Baulch's integrity ... nor am I questioning the traceability of the donations ... I have stated that according to the web-site the money is paid into her bank account and while there is technically hers.

If it is to be considered as a gift when transferred I think the necessary steps would have to have been taken beforehand to ensure there will be no liability, JP.

For example, the fundraiser in the USA who found herself liable for tax did not do this and was hit for a whopping great bill because it was classed as taxable income.

**snip
The good news for Kate is that I think I found a reasonable solution that she and others could use to minimize or eliminate their tax liability.

Until the IRS provides clear guidance on the tax liability for being a good samaritan and raising funds for someone in need using crowdfunding, the best thing for someone to do is not put the crowdfunding account in their name and instead register it in the name and tax identification number of the person receiving the funds.

Alternatively, you can try to say the funds raised fall under a gift exemption or try to subtract out the donations on your tax return like this. That's a tactic you'd have to see if the IRS would accept and you should absolutely discuss this with your qualified tax preparer.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-rhode/crowdfunding-to-help-a-sick-friend-can-lead-to-a-big-tax-bill-for-you_b_6615616.html

Offline pegasus

Does the Find Madeleine Fund pay the legal expenditure of the 5 opponents against Mr Amaral in this libel case?
It should be a simple YES or NO answer.

Offline G-Unit

Does the Find Madeleine Fund pay the legal expenditure of the 5 opponents against Mr Amaral in this libel case?

I don't know, but it's an interesting question.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline mercury

The only way anyone can know if its's a yes or no answer is by looking at their submitted accounts. The  2009 (when the action was started) and 2010 accounts confirm the Fund was used to sue Mr Amaral, after that, there is no mention. Which begs the question, if it was not coming out of the Fund, where was it coming from?

I wonder how much Duarte has charged them to date.

Offline G-Unit

Well, the fund continues to grow despite the efforts to have it stopped and the efforts to smear Leanne.

Legal Defence for Goncalo Amaral

£28,782 of £25k

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

Well, the fund continues to grow despite the efforts to have it stopped and the efforts to smear Leanne.

Legal Defence for Goncalo Amaral

£28,782 of £25k

more importantly...which you choose to ignore...still no news of an appeal