Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853033 times)

stephen25000

I think the McCanns were absolutely right to sue amaral and have lost no sympathy

You are in dreamland if you believe the mccanns have widespread support.

With the mccanns, it has become all about the money.

Offline Mr Gray

If this is true...

Dear friends,

Today, the 15th of June, my appeal against the sentence that has recently been produced in the trial concerning my book, "Maddie, A Verdade da Mentira", was filed at the Civil Court of Lisbon.

Then amaral has accepted the verdict and is only appealing against the level of damages...how is this going to achieve "Justice for Maddie" which is why many people are contributing to his fund

Offline Angelo222

You are in dreamland if you believe the mccanns have widespread support.

With the mccanns, it has become all about the money.

That was very evident when an embarrassed Kate McCann had to make the statement that it wasn't about the money.  If that was true she could end these proceedings immediately.  Truth is that they have run up substantial legal expenses now and someone has to pay for them.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

stephen25000

That was very evident when an embarrassed Kate McCann had to make the statement that it wasn't about the money.  If that was true she could end these proceedings immediately.

Precisely Angelo.

Her and her husbands quietness speaks volumes.

According to  sources of course.  8(0(*

stephen25000

If this is true...

Dear friends,

Today, the 15th of June, my appeal against the sentence that has recently been produced in the trial concerning my book, "Maddie, A Verdade da Mentira", was filed at the Civil Court of Lisbon.

Then amaral has accepted the verdict and is only appealing against the level of damages...how is this going to achieve "Justice for Maddie" which is why many people are contributing to his fund

Are you doing a ferryman ?

Misinterpretation abounds.

Alfred R Jones

You are wrong, they are now being seen as grubby money grabbers and have lost much support evidenced by the dwindling donations to the fund whereas Amaral has never seen so much tangible support previously.

Has the tide turned??
No.  Are the McCanns actively campaigning for contributions to The Fund?  Have they any need to whilst Op Grange is happening?  You haven't the faintest idea of the level of their support, and whether or not it has gone up or down and don't think that the Amaral Fund is an indication of anything more than the level of his fanatical support ie: tiny.

Offline Carana

If this is true...

Dear friends,

Not sure about that, Davel.

If it is a translation of "sentença", there are a lot of meanings: award, verdict, sentence, judgement...

Offline G-Unit

IMO no because at the time they were not involved, nor AFAIK are they involved in the current case.
There must be a fund hidden away somewhere IMO which pays the legal costs of the foreign tourists who initiated the current legal attack on Mr Amaral.

When the McCanns acted against Amaral's book the legal costs were met by the Madeleine Fund according to the 2009 and 2010 Director's reports. I would imagine therefore that the legal costs of the defamation trial were also paid by the fund.
http://madeleinemccann.org/blog/2014/04/20/madeleines-fund-review-investigation-of-accounts/
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Brietta

Is there anything in the Portuguese press about Mr Amaral's appeal ... or in any press (Natasha doesn't really count)?  I've seen nothing,which means just that, nothing, but one would have thought that Mr Amaral would be front page headlines on his home turf at least.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

stephen25000

Is there anything in the Portuguese press about Mr Amaral's appeal ... or in any press (Natasha doesn't really count)?  I've seen nothing,which means just that, nothing, but one would have thought that Mr Amaral would be front page headlines on his home turf at least.

Like the appeal, all good things..................

Offline Brietta

Like the appeal, all good things..................

Sometimes you should be careful what you wish for as J P warned yesterday ... and I think the result of the appeal may turn out not to be quite as you hope.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

stephen25000

Sometimes you should be careful what you wish for as J P warned yesterday ... and I think the result of the appeal may turn out not to be quite as you hope.

That Brietta works both ways.

Offline Carana

What are the possible outcomes?

Offline Montclair

Not appealing wouldn't be a good idea either. After all € 500.000,00 plus interest are at stake as well as freedom of expression and book banning.

Offline Brietta

That Brietta works both ways.

The Drs McCann do not appear to be appealing the judge's decision or the level of the award made in their favour.  Mr Amaral appears to be the one pursuing that particular course of action.

As it stands at the moment Madeleine's parents have won both the legal and the moral argument.  The reopening of Madeleine's case and the realisation of the sheer amount of evidence which had not been properly investigated went a long way to cementing the moral victory.
That Madeleine's mother was able to claim progress in the ongoing case is also a step in the right direction.

I see the next step in Mr Amaral's saga as the European Court (ain't that something lol) and no doubt there will be a rump eager to finance that too.  C'est la vie.