Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853447 times)

Offline Brietta

They didn't do that so we are having this conversation. Or rather I was with another poster.
Why do you have difficulty in accepting that "The Fund" can only do what the company's articles of association allow it to do? Do you have this same problem with all limited companies or just the one ?

Sorry, I didn't realise your conversation was intended to be exclusive.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Alice Purjorick

I don't know if it is stipulated in the companies articles of association Alice,   maybe you could write to them and find out.     I would imagine it would come into discussion if and when Madeleine is found.

All the relevant documentation is available from Companies House.
The section relevant to our discussion reads:
Objects
2B. The objects of the Foundation are:
2B.1.1 To secure the safe return to her family of Madeleine McCann who was abducted in Praia da Luz, Portugal on Thursday 3rd May 2007; and
2B.1.2 To procure that Madeleine's abduction is thoroughly investigated and that her abductors, as well as those who played or play any part in assisting them, are identified and brought to Justice.
2B.2 If the above objects are fulfilled then the objects of the Foundation shall be to pursue such purposes in similar cases arising in the United Kingdom, Portugal or elsewhere.

Winding up
2F. If any property remains after the Foundation has been wound up or dissolved and the debts and liabilities have been satisfied it may not be paid to or distributed among the members of the Foundation, but must be given to some other institution or institutions with similar objects. The institution or institutions to benefit shall be chosen by the Directors at or before the time of winding up or dissolution.

That seems perfectly reasonable to me but it does not say surplus funds will be given to Missing Children.
The caveat of if on 2B.2 and 2F should be noted.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline jassi

As 2B1.1  might never be fulfilled, it is  possible that no charity will benefit.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Montclair

So, if someone wrote a book accusing you of drugging your child,   disposing of her body and lying to the police you would be quite happy to let that book containing all of that circulate all around the world,   really?

Well according to the judge's decision, anyone else could have written the same book and there would have been no problem.  She decided that Gonçalo Amaral was not allowed to do so because he was a retired policeman.

Offline Carana

Well according to the judge's decision, anyone else could have written the same book and there would have been no problem.  She decided that Gonçalo Amaral was not allowed to do so because he was a retired policeman.

Not even ANY retired policeman, but one who had kudos by virtue of having been its coordinator for the first few months and who used that former status to boost his credibility and thus better sell his theory.

His pal Cristovão did the same after he'd "resigned" from active PJ service... but the Ciprianos had been convicted, were dirt poor, and were unlikely to have been able to contest the contents of that book, even if they'd been aware of its existence.

To this day, some people believe that the police hadn't been contacted until two days after her disappearance. That's untrue. But then, according to the summary in English of his book, her well-known beating took place in prison. If that had been the case, why invent the slippery staircase saga?

A fact that has not certainly not often been publicised is that he was subject to PJ disciplinary action way before the torture case came to trial. No one mentions that... why not?

Offline Carana

I'm not sure whether a journalist / media editor would have had the case dismissed, either. PT media law does have points on limits.

ferryman

If the judiciary of your country would allow most people to write an account of distortion, disinformation and lies (as Amaral did!) and get away with it that reflects extreme discredit on the judiciary of your country.

Offline jassi

Or simply a different view on law
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Carana

Or simply a different view on law

Well, arguments did appear to arrive at a stalemate until towards the end of the arguments.

What's not clear is whether other arguments / legislation may have been used had the case been different.

Perhaps, in general terms, it's perfectly ok for your neighbour to accuse you of stealing and microwaving your neighbours' babies for breakfast in Portugal. With the fear of potential vigilante action in the middle of the night for those who assumed that it was true.

You wouldn't mind, would you?

Offline Alice Purjorick

Well, arguments did appear to arrive at a stalemate until towards the end of the arguments.

What's not clear is whether other arguments / legislation may have been used had the case been different.

Perhaps, in general terms, it's perfectly ok for your neighbour to accuse you of stealing and microwaving your neighbours' babies for breakfast in Portugal. With the fear of potential vigilante action in the middle of the night for those who assumed that it was true.

You wouldn't mind, would you?

Whilst maybe not at the scale of the larger than life image you paint it happened in Bristol.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline mercury

So, if someone wrote a book accusing you of drugging your child,   disposing of her body and lying to the police you would be quite happy to let that book containing all of that circulate all around the world,   really?

The Mccanns left it doing exactly that for almost a year before they launched their very expensive lawsuit. By then sales had dried up.

&%+((£

Offline mercury

For Ferryman

http://portugalresident.com/maddie-cop-launches-appeal-against-mccann’s-record-damages-‘win’-of-€500000

independent enough for you?

&%54%

PS You will need to highlight the whole link and then paste in your browser. For some reason it is not c & p'ing in full here
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 09:17:46 PM by mercury »

ferryman

For Ferryman

http://portugalresident.com/maddie-cop-launches-appeal-against-mccann’s-record-damages-‘win’-of-€500000

independent enough for you?

&%54%

PS You will need to highlight the whole link and then paste in your browser. For some reason it is not c & p'ing in full here

Natasha Donn?

Offline mercury

Natasha Donn?

What?

You have been given three pieces of evidence now that an appeal has been lodged, about tme you apologised and accepted the fact that yes, it has been,then we can all move on

ferryman

What?

You have been given three pieces of evidence now that an appeal has been lodged, about tme you apologised and accepted the fact that yes, it has been,then we can all move on

I repeat

Natasha Donn???  !

I want proper evidence Amaral has been granted leave to appeal.

To put flesh on my objection, Natasha Donn lends credence to the work of phoney criminal "profiler" Pat Brown:

http://www.jornal123.com/en/Articles/2-1520/American_Criminal_Profiler_probes_McCann_mystery
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 02:52:33 PM by ferryman »