Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853223 times)

Offline Mr Gray

As  yet we don't know whether he is appealing against the verdict or the sentence.....his statement in Portuguese did not make it clear...that's the problem with translations

Offline Brietta

As  yet we don't know whether he is appealing against the verdict or the sentence.....his statement in Portuguese did not make it clear...that's the problem with translations

If only the Portuguese press in general would break their extraordinary silence on giving out information on a personage who we are told is loved to bits ... seems he may have lost his newsworthiness or we might have a clearer picture of what was happening.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

stephen25000

So we await for the appeal.

Offline Brietta

So we await for the appeal.

I think we may be almost exactly where we were at the start of the thread.

• Mr Amaral lost his case against Dr McCann and Dr Healey ~ who will in future be referred to by me as Drs McCann
  • It is expected that Mr Amaral will appeal
  • We know nothing about the appeal ... whether it is against the judgement ... or whether it is the amount of the award
  • The Portuguese press do not appear to be interested in the slightest ... whatever.  With the exception of one English language daily
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

ferryman

So the appeal fund stands on the cusp of 36 grand.

How much will he actually need, and for what?

Offline John

That's the $50m question ferryman.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline mercury

For what ?
Lawyers' fees for appeal process, and if that fails, more lawyer fees to take it higher, one would  presume.(I would guess there might be other various expenses involved)
How much?
No idea what they charge.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 08:35:33 PM by mercury »

Online Eleanor

That's the $50m question ferryman.

700,000 should cover it.

Offline mercury

Everyne knows you hate Amaral but there is no way any appeal for legal help will attract supporters to donate that much, they are not as stupid to go fund the Mccanns are they? even IF this was Amarals evil cunning plan

@)(++(*

Offline John

700,000 should cover it.

I think the award will be reduced substantially on appeal since such an award was unprecedented in Portugal but as they say, time will tell.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:24:59 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

ferryman

I think the award will be reduced substantially on appeal since such an award was unprecedented in Portugal but as they say, time will tell.

Not true.

The position is that far the most common libel actions in Portuguese law are criminal libel actions where damage awards are nominal.

In Portuguese civil libel actions (much rarer in Portugal) there is no limit to the size of the award, save for any limit that might be determined by the nature of the claim.

Here, we are talking about a book that raised substantial sums in sales (in vast numbers) across countries of Europe.

stephen25000

Not true.

The position is that far the most common libel actions in Portuguese law are criminal libel actions where damage awards are nominal.

In Portuguese civil libel actions (much rarer in Portugal) there is no limit to the size of the award, save for any limit that might be determined by the nature of the claim.

Here, we are talking about a book that raised substantial sums in sales (in vast numbers) across countries of Europe.

What are these vast numbers then ?

Is that more than the Summers and Swan 'effort' ?

Offline mercury

Not true.

and which the Mccanns said to, we'll have that, though they were devastated by it, and which caused them so suffer from depression and anxiety

How do you square that circle?

Offline sadie

and which the Mccanns said to, we'll have that, though they were devastated by it, and which caused them so suffer from depression and anxiety

How do you square that circle?
They stopped him

Offline mercury

That was not an answer to my question. As for stopping anything, that is debatable.