Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853172 times)

Offline Angelo222

Nope.

Right on every count.

Except that I never claimed the Portuguese prosecutors "cleared" the parents.

They didn't need to.

The McCanns were never charged with anything.

Until such time as Maddie's fate has been determined they will always remain suspect.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

Because he was wrong.  How can he have caused unnecessary suffering if he was right?

Whether Amaral was correct in his thesis is as yet undetermined.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Carana

I thought he was shafted because he used privileged information ?
Rather for how he obtained information not for what he said?

From what I gather from the a quo judge, it was primarily the use / abuse of his former position that seems to have been the issue.

As a former officer he had certain duties, including to shut up about a case he was involved in: the McCanns have the right to the presumption of innocence (which they have always had) and even if a case had come to court, his spoutings could have prejudiced the right to a fair trial.

His argument is that he was technically a "free citizen" three days after the AG report and even if it transgressed police regulations, the transgression was a minor matter compared to his constitutional right to freedom of expression.

PT law seems to be changing all the time... They seem to be moving towards greater freedom of the press to expose corruption / greater accountability in the public sphere in practice, yet accusations made by simple citizens is still a bit of a foggy area.

Offline Benice

Until such time as Maddie's fate has been determined they will always remain suspect.

But they are not suspects Angelo.  The police forces of two countries have ruled them out of the investigation.  They do not believe Amaral's 'thesis' because there is no evidence to support it - and the wishful thinking of a small group of people in a little corner of the internet will not change that fact.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

stephen25000

But they are not suspects Angelo.  The police forces of two countries have ruled them out of the investigation.  They do not believe Amaral's 'thesis' because there is no evidence to support it - and the wishful thinking of a small group of people in a little corner of the internet will not change that fact.

Yet they pick abduction and nothing else with no evidence that would stand up in court.

Very clever.

Offline Angelo222

I said they will remain suspect, not suspects ie until such time as Maddie's fate is known they will always be surrounded by suspicion.

There isn't an iota of evidence to support an abduction either.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 10:27:05 PM by Angelo222 »

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline John

I said they will remain suspect, not suspects ie until such time as Maddie's fate is known they will always be surrounded by suspicion.

There isn't an iota of evidence to support an abduction either.

I don't know what is worse for them, the mystery of their daughters disappearance or the realisation that so many people view them as culpable.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline jassi

That would depend on how much of a mystery her disappearance is to them.

I'm sure that they had no inkling of how their actions would result in such public vilification.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

That would depend on how much of a mystery her disappearance is to them.

I'm sure that they had no inkling of how their actions would result in such public vilification.

Vilification by some...and an incredible amount of support from others

stephen25000

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #2829 on: September 03, 2015, 04:05:03 PM »
More grinding of teeth about to begin.

'Confirmation that the appeal has been accepted by the Appellate Court has been received today from the lawyer. Once again, thank you so very much to everyone who has made a contribution. We will keep you informed.'

http://pjga.blogspot.nl/2015/09/confirmation.html?m=1

So the case goes on and on..............

Offline pegasus

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #2830 on: September 04, 2015, 03:15:24 AM »
The appeal court has agreed to hear Mr Amaral's appeal
http://pjga.blogspot.com/

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2831 on: September 04, 2015, 07:20:38 AM »
The appeal court has agreed to hear Mr Amaral's appeal
http://pjga.blogspot.com/
So again he talks of appeal against the sentence rather than the judgement

stephen25000

« Reply #2832 on: September 04, 2015, 07:35:35 AM »
So again he talks of appeal against the sentence rather than the judgement

Where does it say sentence ?

ferryman

« Reply #2833 on: September 04, 2015, 07:44:11 AM »
Most odd that there is no announcement of the joyous news on the gofundme blog.

One contributor has made reference to it, but that's it ....

Ms Baulch, these days, seems to be writing blogs .....

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #2834 on: September 04, 2015, 07:47:42 AM »
Most odd that there is no announcement of the joyous news on the gofundme blog.

One contributor has made reference to it, but that's it ....

Ms Baulch, these days, seems to be writing blogs .....

He obviously needs a PR person for quantity and timing of news and stories.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.