Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853033 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3015 on: September 09, 2015, 10:44:19 AM »
For what its worth, my thoughts on the news of Amaral's appeal are as follows:

Under Portuguese law, Amaral has a right to appeal the decision of the court, as is right and proper.

There are three possibilities:

• That the appeal count will agree the original verdict in which case no further appeals will be allowed

That the appeal court modify the verdict, in which either party can appeal.

That the appeal count overturn the original verdict, in which either party can appeal (probably the McCanns)

The wording of the court documents that the appeal does not stay the decision. To understand this one need to consider the differences between English civil law and European civil law.

In simple terms:

In England, one must seek permission to appeal. If granted, then execution of the decision of the lower count is suspended until the appeal is heard.

In Europe, including Portugal, the right to appeal is automatic. But execution of the decision is not suspended.

There is a logic in this if you look for it.

In England, one must demonstrate pretty sound grounds for an appeal, and it is therefore logical that the judgement is suspended until the appeal is heard.

In Europe, the right to appeal is automatic (although one must show the grounds upon which the appeal is based - not a very high hurdle). But judgement is not suspended - this is to prevent a losing party using the appeals process to "kick the can down the road" for a few months.
_________

What does it mean for this case? Under English law Amaral would have had to show specific grounds for his appeal. And if granted the court decision to ban the book and DVD may have been suspended.

Under Portuguese law, the appeal is in effect a matter of course, and in the meantime the decision to ban book and DVD sales holds.

Hope this helps!

I have a doubt about something though.

The terms of reparation aren't enforceable until the final ruling is pronounced (trânsito em julgado), are they?

I confess I'm having trouble deciphering the details of Art. 647 below, but the gist seems to be along the lines of something you'd originally found that I didn't understand at the time either:

The general rule is that the appeal does not suspend the proceedings unless the appealing party pays a deposit or presents a bank guarantee.'

FWIW, my understanding at the moment is that there could be confusion: what could be suspended in some circumstances is the decision to grant the appeal request.

The bank guarantee is to make sure that the appellant isn't mucking about, but has a genuine cause for concern that needs time to be validated prior to appeal referral.

If that's correct, the "execution of the judgement" doesn't refer to the execution of the terms of reparation, but to the a quo court's ruling to refer the case upwards.

In Amaral's appeal, nothing new of earth-shattering importance had suddenly come to light, and the a quo court hadn't summarily dismissed his request... so there was no reason to suspend the decision to pass it up.

Artigo 647.º (art.º 692.º CPC 1961)
Efeito da apelação
1 - A apelação tem efeito meramente devolutivo, exceto nos casos previstos nos números seguintes.
2 - A apelação tem efeito suspensivo do processo nos casos previstos na lei.
3 - Tem efeito suspensivo da decisão a apelação:
a) Da decisão que ponha termo ao processo em ações sobre o estado das pessoas;
b) Da decisão que ponha termo ao processo nas ações referidas nas alíneas a) e b) do n.º 3 do artigo 629.º e nas que respeitem à posse ou à propriedade de casa de habitação;
c) Do despacho de indeferimento do incidente processado por apenso;
d) Do despacho que indefira liminarmente ou não ordene a providência cautelar;
e) Das decisões previstas nas alíneas e) e f) do n.º 2 do artigo 644.º;
f) Nos demais casos previstos por lei.
4 - Fora dos casos previstos no número anterior, o recorrente pode requerer, ao interpor o recurso, que a apelação tenha efeito suspensivo quando a execução da decisão lhe cause prejuízo considerável e se ofereça para prestar caução, ficando a atribuição desse efeito condicionada à efetiva prestação da caução no prazo fixado pelo tribunal.

Offline Jean-Pierre

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3016 on: September 09, 2015, 11:49:03 AM »
I have a doubt about something though.

The terms of reparation aren't enforceable until the final ruling is pronounced (trânsito em julgado), are they?

I confess I'm having trouble deciphering the details of Art. 647 below, but the gist seems to be along the lines of something you'd originally found that I didn't understand at the time either:

The general rule is that the appeal does not suspend the proceedings unless the appealing party pays a deposit or presents a bank guarantee.'

FWIW, my understanding at the moment is that there could be confusion: what could be suspended in some circumstances is the decision to grant the appeal request.

The bank guarantee is to make sure that the appellant isn't mucking about, but has a genuine cause for concern that needs time to be validated prior to appeal referral.

If that's correct, the "execution of the judgement" doesn't refer to the execution of the terms of reparation, but to the a quo court's ruling to refer the case upwards.

In Amaral's appeal, nothing new of earth-shattering importance had suddenly come to light, and the a quo court hadn't summarily dismissed his request... so there was no reason to suspend the decision to pass it up.

Artigo 647.º (art.º 692.º CPC 1961)
Efeito da apelação
1 - A apelação tem efeito meramente devolutivo, exceto nos casos previstos nos números seguintes.
2 - A apelação tem efeito suspensivo do processo nos casos previstos na lei.
3 - Tem efeito suspensivo da decisão a apelação:
a) Da decisão que ponha termo ao processo em ações sobre o estado das pessoas;
b) Da decisão que ponha termo ao processo nas ações referidas nas alíneas a) e b) do n.º 3 do artigo 629.º e nas que respeitem à posse ou à propriedade de casa de habitação;
c) Do despacho de indeferimento do incidente processado por apenso;
d) Do despacho que indefira liminarmente ou não ordene a providência cautelar;
e) Das decisões previstas nas alíneas e) e f) do n.º 2 do artigo 644.º;
f) Nos demais casos previstos por lei.
4 - Fora dos casos previstos no número anterior, o recorrente pode requerer, ao interpor o recurso, que a apelação tenha efeito suspensivo quando a execução da decisão lhe cause prejuízo considerável e se ofereça para prestar caução, ficando a atribuição desse efeito condicionada à efetiva prestação da caução no prazo fixado pelo tribunal.

A fair point Carana.  However, the proceedings in question are the decision by the lower court.

In practice, the ban on the Book and DVD hold, and the court are already holding more than enough money to pay the damages and court fees owing. 

So these will remain in place until the appeal is heard. 

Offline Carana

« Reply #3017 on: September 09, 2015, 01:24:34 PM »
A fair point Carana.  However, the proceedings in question are the decision by the lower court.

In practice, the ban on the Book and DVD hold, and the court are already holding more than enough money to pay the damages and court fees owing. 

So these will remain in place until the appeal is heard.

LOL I'm still confused.

Yes, the proceedings concern the decision by the lower court - it's the lower court that has to stamp the referral. The question is which decision is referred to in Art. 647 et al.

The book / DVD / derivative products saga seems to be history. Amaral doesn't hold the copyright licence anyway.

If the decision referred to the execution of the first instance judgement concerning terms of reparation, Amaral's frozen assets would have had to have been handed over to the McCanns... which doesn't make sense until the appeals process has come to its final conclusion.

Maybe I'm missing something...

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #3018 on: September 09, 2015, 03:11:19 PM »

LOL I'm still confused.

Yes, the proceedings concern the decision by the lower court - it's the lower court that has to stamp the referral. The question is which decision is referred to in Art. 647 et al.

The book / DVD / derivative products saga seems to be history. Amaral doesn't hold the copyright licence anyway.

If the decision referred to the execution of the first instance judgement concerning terms of reparation, Amaral's frozen assets would have had to have been handed over to the McCanns... which doesn't make sense until the appeals process has come to its final conclusion.

Maybe I'm missing something...

No wonder you are confused!

Right, lets try.

Article 647.

Paragraph 1 applies - no suspensive effect.

Unless

Paragraph two applies - to suspend the judgement (you need to refer to paragraph 4 for this).

Or paragraph three applies - to suspend the judgement due to one or more of specific provisions-

Probably section (d) The order dismissing outright or not to order the injunction;

This needs consideration of paragraph 4 - Where the provisions state that if the judgement is not suspended pending the appeal "would cause considerable damage and offer to provide a guarantee and the granting of this conditional effect to the effective deposit the bond within the time allowed".

In other words the appeal does not have a suspensive effect unless not to suspend it would cause considerable damage, in which case the applicant may offer to lodge a guarantee (i.e. hard cash) with the court in lieu.  As you said earlier - to make sure they are not mucking about. 

For this to apply, Amaral's lawyer would have needed to ask the court to suspend the judgement.  It does look from the wordings as though he did not make such a request.  Hmmm.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3019 on: September 09, 2015, 03:23:57 PM »

Right, lets try.

Article 647.

Unless

Paragraph two applies - to suspend the judgement (you need to refer to paragraph 4 for this).

Or paragraph three applies - to suspend the judgement due to one or more of specific provisions-

Probably section (d) The order dismissing outright or not to order the injunction;

This needs consideration of paragraph 4 - Where the provisions state that if the judgement is not suspended pending the appeal "would cause considerable damage and offer to provide a guarantee and the granting of this conditional effect to the effective deposit the bond within the time allowed".

In other words the appeal does not have a suspensive effect unless not to suspend it would cause considerable damage, in which case the applicant may offer to lodge a guarantee (i.e. hard cash) with the court in lieu.  As you said earlier - to make sure they are not mucking about. 

For this to apply, Amaral's lawyer would have needed to ask the court to suspend the judgement.  It does look from the wordings as though he did not make such a request.  Hmmm.

The only part of that which has penetrated (I think) is that apparently the Judgement has not been appealed ... which leaves only the amount of the award to be argued about.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #3020 on: September 09, 2015, 03:36:20 PM »
The only part of that which has penetrated (I think) is that apparently the Judgement has not been appealed ... which leaves only the amount of the award to be argued about.

Sorry - no.  The nature of the appeal is unknown.

It appears that the judgement has not been suspended while the appeal is in process.

In practice this means that Amaral cannot publish or sell his book or DVD.  The court is already holding the dosh.

Offline Carana

« Reply #3021 on: September 09, 2015, 03:38:08 PM »

Right, lets try.

Article 647.

Unless

I find this funny. I think we've got wires crossed at the moment on this.

It's academic anyway, as it's gone the "meramente devolutivo" route - i.e. para 1.

I was trying to work out why some people are wondering why he didn't apply for a suspension - and I can't find anything to support why he would have wanted to.

They may have assumed that applying for a suspension might have meant that he didn't need to hand over his gains.... but a) that doesn't appear to be what a potential suspension concerns, and b) even the complex PT system isn't going to make compensation change hands every time one party lodges an appeal.

One possibility might have been if the accruing interest could have have benefited from a moratorium via a "suspension"... but that wouldn't apply as the suspension concept simply appears to concern staying the referral pending clarification of issues, which doesn't appear to be the case in this instance.

Offline Carana

« Reply #3022 on: September 09, 2015, 03:43:34 PM »

Don't think so, Brietta.

You have to have some grounds in order to dispute the amount. How do you do that without disputing either points of fact or law on which the ruling is based?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:46:09 PM by Carana »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3023 on: September 09, 2015, 03:44:51 PM »
Sorry - no.  The nature of the appeal is unknown.

It appears that the judgement has not been suspended while the appeal is in process.

In practice this means that Amaral cannot publish or sell his book or DVD.  The court is already holding the dosh.

Thanks JP.  I've got it now. 
Will just have to be patient ... look forward to you keeping us up to speed when you do know what is happening in court ... very simple language please with me in mind though.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3024 on: September 09, 2015, 03:53:05 PM »
Don't think so, Brietta.

You have to have some grounds in order to dispute the amount. How do you do that without disputing either points of fact or law on which the ruling is based?

It is going to be a lot messier than I had thought, Carana, and more time consuming which is a great pity.

I'm just going to watch you and JP discuss what happens when it happens and pick up what is going on from there.

Expect to be asked for clarifications of what is happening because quite simply I haven't a clue about the law.  It may be Just but imo it isn't logical.

Offline Carana

« Reply #3025 on: September 09, 2015, 04:15:58 PM »
It is going to be a lot messier than I had thought, Carana, and more time consuming which is a great pity.

I'm just going to watch you and JP discuss what happens when it happens and pick up what is going on from there.

Expect to be asked for clarifications of what is happening because quite simply I haven't a clue about the law.  It may be Just but imo it isn't logical.

I'm not a lawyer, btw. I'm just trying to peer into the mysteries of PT law out of curiosity.

There is a logic, but not as we know it.

(Cue Twilight Zone).

Here's a puzzle that took me a while to work out: you could be convicted of murder and be serving a life sentence, yet still be an arguido.

There's a logic.... Seriously.

What's the answer to the puzzle?

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #3026 on: September 09, 2015, 04:27:58 PM »

I am going to make a prediction here - a veritable hostage to fortune.

I think it will be quite straightforward and not very messy.  I predict that the appeal will agree with the original verdict.

My reasoning? The appeal can only overturn the verdict on the grounds of proven facts or points of law.  Assuming that the proven facts are not in dispute (having been covered during the trial) so that leaves points of law.  The verdict turned on Amarals requirement to keep his trap shut about cases he was involved in, and in particular not to make accusations about named people involved.  And this is pretty much a universal feature of police and judicial services. 

The verdict was actually quite balanced - something to the McCanns and bit left over for Amaral's creditiors.   

I expect this aspect to be wrapped up by Christmas, and then he can whine about taking the case to the ECHR......     

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3027 on: September 09, 2015, 04:28:09 PM »
I'm not a lawyer, btw. I'm just trying to peer into the mysteries of PT law out of curiosity.

There is a logic, but not as we know it.

(Cue Twilight Zone).

Here's a puzzle that took me a while to work out: you could be convicted of murder and be serving a life sentence, yet still be an arguido.

There's a logic.... Seriously.

What's the answer to the puzzle?

An arguido in another unrelated case?

That won't be correct ... it is Anna and Pegasus who solve the puzzles, I'm rubbish at it.

Offline Carana

« Reply #3028 on: September 09, 2015, 04:35:46 PM »
An arguido in another unrelated case?

That won't be correct ... it is Anna and Pegasus who solve the puzzles, I'm rubbish at it.

Nope. Same case. Someone is in jail serving life (or rather the maximum sentence), yet that person can still be an arguido.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3029 on: September 09, 2015, 04:36:36 PM »
I am going to make a prediction here - a veritable hostage to fortune.

I think it will be quite straightforward and not very messy.  I predict that the appeal will agree with the original verdict.

My reasoning? The appeal can only overturn the verdict on the grounds of proven facts or points of law.  Assuming that the proven facts are not in dispute (having been covered during the trial) so that leaves points of law.  The verdict turned on Amarals requirement to keep his trap shut about cases he was involved in, and in particular not to make accusations about named people involved.  And this is pretty much a universal feature of police and judicial services. 

The verdict was actually quite balanced - something to the McCanns and bit left over for Amaral's creditiors.   

I expect this aspect to be wrapped up by Christmas, and then he can whine about taking the case to the ECHR......   

I think that would be a fair result and one to be hoped for (remember the 14-18 war was to be over by Christmas too).  But fingers crossed.