Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 852930 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3090 on: September 12, 2015, 09:39:39 AM »
The same with  other people who are missing,but  presumed dead, I suppose.

In the meantime, the families are living in limbo, rollercoasting between accepting that their loved one may indeed be dead and that glimmer of hope in the absence of concrete evidence and the knowledge of cases in which someone else's loved one is found alive.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 09:42:44 AM by Carana »

Offline Carana

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3091 on: September 12, 2015, 09:48:21 AM »
his book was published after the files were released so how could he be responsible for disseminating confidentialinformation it's a an oxymoron at best and further confirmed by the vexatious complaint by the Duarte woman which got thrown out of court..nice try though

Erm... I think you'll find that the judge did note that there was a breach of judicial secrecy.

Offline Carana

« Reply #3092 on: September 12, 2015, 10:08:40 AM »
It does seem a fine line the judge is drawing here. Because the book was published just three days after the PJ Files were released, the judge decided the information was confidential when Amaral used it to write his book. Clearly that's true.

The question then is can a policeman use confidential information gained through his job to write something down which he keeps to himself? If no-one knows what he's written then I guess he can do that because no-one knows. If the PJ Files hadn't been released and Amaral as a result hadn't published his book no-one would have known what was in it.

So Amaral did use confidential information to write the book, but it wasn't confidential when he published the book. A fine line.

When he left, he must have taken documents with him, or arranged to get hold of a copy. While quite possibly against police rules, if he kept them under lock and key while he wrote his draft, then presumably that wouldn't be a breach of secrecy as such.

There was most definitely a breach of secrecy, however. It's impossible to have a book edited, proof-read, police photos photoshopped, the contents laid out, printed and on the shelves in three days.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3093 on: September 12, 2015, 10:54:42 AM »
When he left, he must have taken documents with him, or arranged to get hold of a copy. While quite possibly against police rules, if he kept them under lock and key while he wrote his draft, then presumably that wouldn't be a breach of secrecy as such.

There was most definitely a breach of secrecy, however. It's impossible to have a book edited, proof-read, police photos photoshopped, the contents laid out, printed and on the shelves in three days.

If I was given to speculation I might think the PJ, having taken so much flack from the media, co-operated with Amaral so he could write the book. Perhaps that would explain why no action was taken against Amaral by them. Are you suggesting that police photos used in the book were manipulated to show something they didn't show originally?

I don't know how long it takes for the steps you have outlined, but an author can get a contract with a publisher based on a proposal and a few sample pages for a work of non-fiction. A non-fiction book can be written after the contract is signed. The next step is copy-editing (finding and correcting typos, etc.) I suppose it's possible that could be done in a day if Amaral worked alongside the copy editor. Printing on the second day and delivery overnight to the bookshops. All ready for launch on third day. I'm not saying it happened like that, but can anyone prove it didn't?
http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2009/08/how-book-gets-published.html

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3094 on: September 12, 2015, 11:29:29 AM »
If I was given to speculation I might think the PJ, having taken so much flack from the media, co-operated with Amaral so he could write the book. Perhaps that would explain why no action was taken against Amaral by them. Are you suggesting that police photos used in the book were manipulated to show something they didn't show originally?

I don't know how long it takes for the steps you have outlined, but an author can get a contract with a publisher based on a proposal and a few sample pages for a work of non-fiction. A non-fiction book can be written after the contract is signed. The next step is copy-editing (finding and correcting typos, etc.) I suppose it's possible that could be done in a day if Amaral worked alongside the copy editor. Printing on the second day and delivery overnight to the bookshops. All ready for launch on third day. I'm not saying it happened like that, but can anyone prove it didn't?

Amaral does not seem to have supplied any defence to his breach of secrecy so the 3 day idea is a non starter
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 11:35:16 AM by Eleanor »

Offline Carana

« Reply #3095 on: September 12, 2015, 01:36:17 PM »

Erm, there is no way that a book can go from a vague draft to on the shelves in three days.

No, the illustrations of police file photos would have been rendered via the use of a photoshop filter to convey an "artist's impression", to avoid the "reproduction prohibited" issue.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3096 on: September 12, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »
Erm, there is no way that a book can go from a vague draft to on the shelves in three days.

No, the illustrations of police file photos would have been rendered via the use of a photoshop filter to convey an "artist's impression", to avoid the "reproduction prohibited" issue.

Either that or Mr Amaral has a photographic memory and is a remarkably good artist into the bargain ... maybe we will find out at his appeal.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

stephen25000

« Reply #3097 on: September 12, 2015, 04:02:45 PM »
Still waiting to hear some logical possibilities of Madeleine's whereabouts, if she was alive. &%+((£

P.S.  The mccanns and some of their supporters, keep stating she is a 'findable  living  child'.

Yet not one has come with a logical scenario as to where she would be.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 04:41:06 PM by stephen25000 »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3098 on: September 12, 2015, 04:10:52 PM »
Still waiting to hear some logical possibilities of Madeleine's whereabouts, if she was alive. &%+((£

why should anyone wish to play your game of speculation...totally pointless

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3099 on: September 12, 2015, 04:19:14 PM »
why should anyone wish to play your game of speculation...totally pointless
At least we don't need to speculate about whether Mr Amaral's supporters will provide sufficient funds to pay his lawyer.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3100 on: September 12, 2015, 04:32:31 PM »
At least we don't need to speculate about whether Mr Amaral's supporters will provide sufficient funds to pay his lawyer.

Which would that be, Pegasus, past or present ... even those who may be future and not out of law school yet.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

ferryman

« Reply #3101 on: September 12, 2015, 04:50:26 PM »
Which would that be, Pegasus, past or present ... even those who may be future and not out of law school yet.

@)(++(*

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3102 on: September 12, 2015, 04:53:01 PM »
Good point. And what about paying lawyers who are still in nappies.
I can't predict whether the current PJGA fundraising support for Mr Amaral will continue that long.
But also I can't imagine the directors of a fund, which nowhere in its two objects has any mention of fighting libel cases, paying for the multiple portuguese and brit lawyers on the other side.

stephen25000

« Reply #3103 on: September 12, 2015, 04:53:58 PM »
                                           @)(++(*

I feel sure the mcanns and their supporters could enjoy legal proceedings for years to come.  8)--))

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #3104 on: September 12, 2015, 06:11:11 PM »

I am intrigued as to why you seem to be so obsessed with commenting on his fund.  Yes he may have sufficient funds to pay his lawyer.

And your point is?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 02:09:17 AM by John »