Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 852930 times)

Alfred R Jones

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3195 on: September 22, 2015, 04:04:35 PM »
Is that why Isobel Duarte is acting in a pro bono capacity for the McCanns ?
I wasn't aware that she was - anyway, are you implying that (like Amaral) the McCanns are destitute?

Lyall

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3196 on: September 22, 2015, 04:10:40 PM »
Why would they do that?  They weren't abusive trolls as well were they?  Sky has shown no interest in Gonc's fund as far as I'm aware...

There's no doubt at least two of their TV faces are very much interested in all aspects of the case. Very wise to be anonymous imo.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #3197 on: September 22, 2015, 04:33:15 PM »
There's no doubt at least two of their TV faces are very much interested in all aspects of the case. Very wise to be anonymous imo.
That's just paranoid.  I haven't seen Sky doorsteppping any of the other fund donors who are not anonymous, have you?

Lyall

« Reply #3198 on: September 22, 2015, 04:39:57 PM »
That's just paranoid.  I haven't seen Sky doorsteppping any of the other fund donors who are not anonymous, have you?

You can never know what that organisation is planning, or what anyone else with a camera is planning too (e.g. Kleeman). This time last year who knew what they were about to do?

Offline Carana

« Reply #3199 on: September 22, 2015, 04:43:24 PM »

Lawyers in prestigious PT or other Eurozone firms could have a) donated it directly and b) written it off as PR expenses...

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3200 on: September 22, 2015, 04:48:47 PM »
If the donor has a euro bank account, then why use a site denominated in £ - with two sets of conversions costs.  And why use the GoFundMe site instead of just making a contribution to the Lisbon bank account? 

Unless they like the GoFundMe site so much they wanted to make a present of £400?
By donating £8000 to the Gofundme site instead of the PJGA site they have paid a 5% fee of about £400 but the added impact of their donation being publicised on Gofundme will within just a few days inspire extra donations from others which will total much more than £400. So it is a canny move.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #3201 on: September 22, 2015, 04:51:43 PM »
the McCanns have put a lot of money themselves into the fund...enough to cover the legal cost several times over. Wasn't their latest payment from the Times given straight to charity

Income of "The Fund Ltd" from inception to 31st March 2013 was £3.9MM. How much of this was donated Drs McCann and how much to date are their legal fees?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

ferryman

« Reply #3202 on: September 22, 2015, 04:52:18 PM »
By donating £8000 to the Gofundme site instead of the PJGA site they have paid a 5% fee of about £400 but the added impact of their donation being publicised on Gofundme will within just a few days inspire extra donations from others which will total much more than £400. So it is a canny move.

Has any attempt been made to calculate how much Amaral will need?

Offline misty

« Reply #3203 on: September 22, 2015, 04:52:37 PM »

Does GoFundMe publicise non-Facebook verified account appeals?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3204 on: September 22, 2015, 04:52:51 PM »
Because they don't fancy having Sky News camping on their doorstep?

why not...what a wonderful opportunity to tell the world the truth....masses of free publicity for amaral's cause...the donations would have rolled in...something very much not right here

Offline Carana

« Reply #3205 on: September 22, 2015, 05:00:28 PM »

I gathered that.

But why not promote his PJGA fund instead in the first place? How many of his PT fan club glued to Dear Julia's matinée TV show understand English? And what would be the point of getting them to go via a UK site to redirect their spare cash back to PT?

Offline misty

« Reply #3206 on: September 22, 2015, 05:04:34 PM »
I gathered that.

But why not promote his PJGA fund instead in the first place? How many of his PT fan club glued to Dear Julia's matinée TV show understand English? And what would be the point of getting them to go via a UK site to redirect their spare cash back to PT?

What makes you think they are going via a UK site?

Offline Carana

« Reply #3207 on: September 22, 2015, 05:12:02 PM »

We trust that Justice will be served.

Thank you.

Any money donated to this account, will be directly transferred to the PJGA account. Please help Goncalo.

https://www.gofundme.com/Legal-DefencePJGA

Well I suppose what's left will end up in the original fund, once the money has gone via the UK with a) a 5%+ fee, b) two FX transaction fees and c) if elderly PT supporters actually work out the English.

Offline Carana

« Reply #3208 on: September 22, 2015, 05:19:04 PM »
What makes you think they are going via a UK site?

The English girl set it up, didn't she? Could she have set it up via a different country?

I don't see PT listed.

And what's the point when there was already a fund set up?

Is my country supported?

Supported countries and currencies include: United States of America ($USD), United Kingdom (£GBP), Canada ($CAD), Australia ($AUD), and some European Union countries that use the Euro as their official currency (€EUR).

USA & CANADA
UK ONLY
AUSTRALIA ONLY
FRANCE ONLY
INTERNATIONAL
Ireland, United Kingdom, Belgium, Finland,
Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Austria
See Stripe for Ireland's Fees
CHARITIES ONLY

INTERNATIONAL
Ireland, United Kingdom, Belgium, Finland,
Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Austria

What about taxes and stuff?

Unfortunately, we're unable to provide specific tax advice since everyone's situation is different. While this is by no means a guarantee, most donations on GoFundMe are simply considered to be 'personal gifts' which are not taxed as income in the US. Additionally, only donations made to a legally registered non-profit or charity may be considered eligible for donors to claim as a tax deduction. Again, every situation is different so please consult with a tax professional in your area.

Does it cost anything?

While it's free to create and share your online fundraising campaign, GoFundMe will deduct a 5% fee from each donation that you receive. Since our fee is deducted automatically, you'll never need to worry about being billed or owing us any money. A small processing fee of about 3% will also be deducted from each donation. Please see Pricing & Fees for more info.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #3209 on: September 22, 2015, 05:20:41 PM »
Is she?

I very much doubt it or indeed CR for that matter.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?