Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853037 times)

ferryman

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3255 on: September 26, 2015, 02:50:20 PM »
Who knows?
He would be able to appeal against either and both as he never admitted guilt.
Whatever the court found it acceptable.

So what was the appeal by one of Amaral's sacked lawyers that proceedings be in camera to "protect Madeleine lest Madeleine be alive" if not an admission of guilt (of libel)?

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3256 on: September 26, 2015, 02:55:11 PM »
So what was the appeal by one of Amaral's sacked lawyers that proceedings be in camera to "protect Madeleine lest Madeleine be alive" if not an admission of guilt (of libel)?

If he admitted guilt as in "entered a plea of guilty" he can only appeal against the sentence.
As for your question you answered it yourself.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline mercury

« Reply #3257 on: September 26, 2015, 10:22:06 PM »
The fantastic things about the gfm appeal for pjga are:
1. Any organised attempts to post anti-Amaral comments there would face the interesting dilemma of having to donate at least five pounds per post towards Mr Amaral's legal expenses in order to do so.
2. Any organised attempts on other media to discredit that appeal (and there have been several before this childish money laundering allegation) simply result in a surge of donations to the appeal.

The irony is brilliant.

It is, it's all rather very silly, IMO, people so inclined  don't put themselves into the danger of getting severe sentences for getting caught for circa 40,000 euros which you can probably easily get by asking for a home improvement loan, get a great new kitchen and bathroom , maybe add nice new wooden floors throughout the house as well and  be inside the law

@)(++(*

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3258 on: September 26, 2015, 10:26:57 PM »
It is, it's all rather very silly, IMO, people so inclined  don't put themselves into the danger of getting severe sentences for getting caught for circa 40,000 euros which you can probably easily get by asking for a home improvement loan, get a great new kitchen and bathroom , maybe add nice new wooden floors throughout the house as well and  be inside the law

@)(++(*

I'm just looking forward to amaral getting totally squashed...he's partially squashed now but the rest is on it's way...bless

stephen25000

« Reply #3259 on: September 26, 2015, 10:28:22 PM »
I'm just looking forward to amaral getting totally squashed...he's partially squashed now but the rest is on it's way...bless

Ah, excellent christian values on display. 8**8:/:

Offline mercury

« Reply #3260 on: September 26, 2015, 11:00:31 PM »

Amaral presented a hypothesis/theory....he never said he had found this child's  body...a police theory is not libellous as confirmed by the appellant higher court when his book got unbanned a few years back

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3261 on: September 26, 2015, 11:23:47 PM »
Amaral presented a hypothesis/theory....he never said he had found this child's  body...a police theory is not libellous as confirmed by the appellant higher court when his book got unbanned a few years back

I don't think the learned lady judge quite saw it that way ... hence the appeals for monetary gifts to fund Mr Amaral's appeal against her sentence.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #3262 on: September 26, 2015, 11:38:32 PM »
I don't think the learned lady judge quite saw it that way ... hence the appeals for monetary gifts to fund Mr Amaral's appeal against her sentence.

Don't you think she set the damages so high as to almost guarantee an appeal.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3263 on: September 26, 2015, 11:53:46 PM »
Don't you think she set the damages so high as to almost guarantee an appeal.

I read somewhere that the sum of the damages awarded are not as extraordinarily high in a civil case as we were led to believe.

I think whoever had lost the case there would have been an appeal. 

I do think there is a lot less pressure on the Drs McCann than there is on Mr Amaral.  They have achieved their aim ~ Madeleine's case has been reopened ~ and they have won their case for libel despite claims to the contrary.

They are still the losers insofar as they do not yet know what became of their little girl ~ but the least that can be hoped for there, is a positive outcome.
This appeal can't even be a minor irritant for them ~ far more important things going on for them at the moment.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline mercury

« Reply #3264 on: September 27, 2015, 12:19:45 AM »

Did the learned judge state Amaral had committed libel?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3265 on: September 27, 2015, 01:20:40 AM »
Did the learned judge state Amaral had committed libel?

We have gone through this so often before.  Mr Amaral was the defendant in a libel trial which he lost and damages were awarded against him to the pursuers.
What does that tell you?

He is now appealing against the judgement of the court.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3266 on: September 27, 2015, 02:40:30 AM »
We have gone through this so often before.  Mr Amaral was the defendant in a libel trial which he lost and damages were awarded against him to the pursuers.
What does that tell you?

According to someone called Anônimo Anônimo:
"... perderam 5 das suas 7 pretensões .... Têm de pagar 60% das custas ..."
which means something like lost 5 of the 7 points, have to pay 60% of costs
That can't be true can it?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 02:44:21 AM by pegasus »

Offline mercury

« Reply #3267 on: September 27, 2015, 03:31:52 AM »
What does that tell you?

You didn't answer my question

ferryman

« Reply #3268 on: September 27, 2015, 09:14:49 AM »

That needs to be set in proper context.

If Amaral had confined his thoughts and theories to the process, the McCanns would not have been able to touch him, just as they can't touch Almeida for his interim report, because Almeida has never (so far as I am aware) discussed the content of that report outside the process.

ferryman

« Reply #3269 on: September 27, 2015, 09:16:05 AM »
You didn't answer my question

The answer to your question is that there were various proven facts under this, generic, heading:

McCanns v. Gonçalo Amaral: Libel Trial - Judge's Ruling