Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853195 times)

Lyall

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3285 on: September 27, 2015, 05:09:18 PM »
If Amaral had not previously been a serving police officer and written the book with knowledge gleaned from that role then the judgement would not have gone against him. The judgement was not about the truth of his thesis but that his former role precluded him from writing the book at all.

%£&)**# That seems to be the situation, Faith.

Offline G-Unit

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3286 on: September 27, 2015, 05:19:56 PM »
The lawyers and other legal costs of the libel case against Mr Amaral are presumably currently being paid by someone (unless the lawyers happy to do probono for their foreign clients for 6+ yrs?)

The MF paid for witnesses to travel to Portugal to give evidence. The Board seems to be in agreement that suing Amaral was the right thing to do because it harmed the search. Although this wasn't proven I don't suppose they have changed their minds. Account statement 2012-203;

'The Fund has covered expenses for witnesses giving evidence in a libel trial in Lisbon against Goncalo Amaral (former coordinator of the Portuguese investigator to find Madeleine). Mr Amaral published a book in 2008 and produced a documentary and DVD in 2009 which claimed Madeleine was dead and that her parents faked an abduction and concealed her body. This has caused vast damage to the search for Madeleine in Portugal (where it is most likely that information relating to Madeleine’s abduction and whereabouts will come from.) The Board felt that an attempt to halt this damage was vital in order to further the search for Madeleine hence taking this course of action.'
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3287 on: September 27, 2015, 06:28:47 PM »
The MF paid for witnesses to travel to Portugal to give evidence. The Board seems to be in agreement that suing Amaral was the right thing to do because it harmed the search. Although this wasn't proven I don't suppose they have changed their minds. Account statement 2012-203;

'The Fund has covered expenses for witnesses giving evidence in a libel trial in Lisbon against Goncalo Amaral (former coordinator of the Portuguese investigator to find Madeleine). Mr Amaral published a book in 2008 and produced a documentary and DVD in 2009 which claimed Madeleine was dead and that her parents faked an abduction and concealed her body. This has caused vast damage to the search for Madeleine in Portugal (where it is most likely that information relating to Madeleine’s abduction and whereabouts will come from.) The Board felt that an attempt to halt this damage was vital in order to further the search for Madeleine hence taking this course of action.'
To be fair that is indeed transparency - the directors said what they were doing and the reasoning behind it.

Offline mercury

« Reply #3288 on: October 03, 2015, 10:02:23 PM »
Is 7 October the date set for the appeal hearing?  I've seen it banded around.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #3289 on: October 03, 2015, 10:08:15 PM »

That's what I've heard too Mercury.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3290 on: October 03, 2015, 10:36:28 PM »
Yes Oct 7, but is that when the decision is made, or just the start of a long process?

Offline mercury

« Reply #3291 on: October 03, 2015, 10:41:09 PM »
Thanks FL

Pegasus, someone knowledgable will hopefully come and tell us, but in this case the appeal hearings/decisions thereafter haven't taken that long have they?, it's the tme in between appeal and hearing that can do

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3292 on: October 03, 2015, 10:56:27 PM »
Thanks FL

Pegasus, someone knowledgable will hopefully come and tell us, but in this case the appeal hearings/decisions thereafter haven't taken that long have they?, it's the tme in between appeal and hearing that can do
If so then I expect a stock of pink articles is at the ready, just in case.

Offline mercury

« Reply #3293 on: October 03, 2015, 11:00:04 PM »
If so then I expect a stock of pink articles is at the ready, just in case.

Pinky himself is probably fed up by now, as he has been for a few years, don't expect him going in blustering his guts  away to sky to demanding that the PJs heads are knocked together!! It's obvious he wants a quiet life, he's not been on telly for ages and ages, thank god lol

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3294 on: October 03, 2015, 11:09:40 PM »
Pinky himself is probably fed up by now, as he has been for a few years, don't expect him going in blustering his guts  away to sky to demanding that the PJs heads are knocked together!!
Previously prepared press prose appeared on the day it became known the appeal would be heard.

Offline Montclair

« Reply #3295 on: October 03, 2015, 11:11:44 PM »
The judge from the civil court will be sending all of the paperwork to the appeals court on 7 October. There will be no public hearing and no witnesses will be heard by the 3 judges of the appeals court. They will study the appeals, the counter appeals and the judge's verdict and then they will announce their decision. When? No one knows.

Offline Montclair

« Reply #3296 on: October 03, 2015, 11:13:25 PM »
Previously prepared press prose appeared on the day it became known the appeal would be heard.

According to Portuguese law, the right to appeal is always guaranteed.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #3297 on: October 03, 2015, 11:14:52 PM »
The judge from the civil court will be sending all of the paperwork to the appeals court on 7 October. There will be no public hearing and no witnesses will be heard by the 3 judges of the appeals court. They will study the appeals, the counter appeals and the judge's verdict and then they will announce their decision. When? No one knows.

Thanks Montclair.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3298 on: October 03, 2015, 11:50:07 PM »
According to Portuguese law, the right to appeal is always guaranteed.
Yes you are right Montclair, my apologies, and I see you did point this out long ago. However I was just noting the coincidence between the day that the Oct 7 date became known, and the day when the "setting aside money for the search" article appeared.

Offline mercury

« Reply #3299 on: October 03, 2015, 11:52:38 PM »
Yes you are right Montclair, my apologies, and I see you did point this out long ago. However I was just noting the coincidence between the day that the Oct 7 date became known, and the day when the "setting aside money for the search" article appeared.

Why would the Mccanns say in public when their accounts are not in public what they are doing with their money..

Thank you Montclair for the explanation, so basically does that mean it will take as long as the judges take in discussing it? Rather than long other procedures?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 12:07:34 AM by mercury »