Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853085 times)

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3420 on: November 17, 2015, 08:16:00 PM »
what truth do you expect this trial to reveal...

I have no idea.
I merely said that as both sides proclaim it is not about money but truth, they will be positively ecstatic if they wind up skint as long as the truth is revealed.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3421 on: November 17, 2015, 08:17:12 PM »
they were suspects

Not when the book was published.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3422 on: November 17, 2015, 08:19:09 PM »
I have no idea.
I merely said that as both sides proclaim it is not about money but truth, they will be positively ecstatic if they wind up skint as long as the truth is revealed.

I have never heard the McCanns say the trial is about truth...they have said it is about the search

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3423 on: November 18, 2015, 01:12:36 AM »
It's remarkable that a few people have exerted so much effort so pointlessly in a desperate attempt to discredit a fund that is totally honest, has only one object, which is clearly stated, and reserves 100% of donors' money exclusively for that object.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 01:14:40 AM by pegasus »

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3424 on: November 18, 2015, 01:41:34 AM »
PJGA has only one object. It never creatively interprets that one object to spend money on other things. And it never pays PR companies.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 05:29:12 PM by John »

Offline misty

« Reply #3425 on: November 18, 2015, 01:56:30 AM »
PJGA has only one object. It never creatively interprets that one object to spend money on other things. And it never pays PR companies.

We have no idea what it pays for, merely what it states on a blogspot run by anonymous people.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3426 on: November 18, 2015, 03:53:07 AM »
We have no idea what it pays for, merely what it states on a blogspot run by anonymous people.
Sargento doesn't sound very anonymous IMO
And PJGA state clearly exactly what their single object is.
BTW can you even tell me how many "objects" that other fund based in the UK has?
Is it 2 or 3 ?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3427 on: November 18, 2015, 07:35:41 AM »
Sargento doesn't sound very anonymous IMO
And PJGA state clearly exactly what their single object is.
BTW can you even tell me how many "objects" that other fund based in the UK has?
Is it 2 or 3 ?

what was it you said.....a few exerting so much effort to discredit a fund...absolutely pointless

Offline Benice

« Reply #3428 on: November 18, 2015, 08:12:45 AM »
It's remarkable that a few people have exerted so much effort so pointlessly in a desperate attempt to discredit a fund that is totally honest, has only one object, which is clearly stated, and reserves 100% of donors' money exclusively for that object.

How can it be described as 'totally honest' when it allowed a false claim regarding the no. of people who had donated to the fund to remain in full view of the public on it's site - with no attempts made to correct it or explain it.

IMO If the McCanns had done that  - sceptics would be down on them like a ton of bricks to point out how dishonest they were and claiming they were deliberately conning the public into thinking they had far more supporters than they actually did.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3429 on: November 18, 2015, 10:46:16 AM »
There are no checks and balances on any fund set up to assist Mr Amaral in his endeavours for the simple reason any appeals for financial assistance were not set up to be accountable to the general public.

Madeleine's Fund is fully accountable.

If you think otherwise ... I am sure you can take legal steps to remedy the situation ...
Surprising that those whose annual calendar tends to ignore Christmas and New Year in preference to salivating over the release date of the Madeleine Fund accounts haven't already done so.

Wonder why that may be?

Anyway I look forward with anticipation to the day when the promised transparency of Mr Amaral's fund becomes apparent ... or is it already so transparent some of us can see right through it?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 05:24:36 PM by John »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3430 on: November 18, 2015, 02:01:36 PM »

what was it you said.....a few exerting so much effort to discredit a fund...absolutely pointless
On the MFLNSUL official website does it or does it not state that the fund provides financial support to the family?

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #3431 on: November 18, 2015, 03:03:31 PM »

Last time we discussed that 'issue' I made a reply to you, you did not respond.

It is still there.

Have a look.

Please accept my humble apologies Stephen.

many posts under the bridge since then. 

Perhaps you would be kind enough to repost it?  or provide a link?

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3432 on: November 18, 2015, 03:07:07 PM »
How can it be described as 'totally honest' when it allowed a false claim regarding the no. of people who had donated to the fund to remain in full view of the public on it's site - with no attempts made to correct it or explain it.

IMO If the McCanns had done that  - sceptics would be down on them like a ton of bricks to point out how dishonest they were and claiming they were deliberately conning the public into thinking they had far more supporters than they actually did.
"allowed a false claim regarding the no, of people who had donated ..."
Let's look at your allegation in detail Benice.
Take a look at any other gfm uk appeal.
Can you show me a single appeal where the  "raised by xx people" figure is correct to your high standards?
Why have you criticised only Leanne's appeal for this feature and not criticised the thousands of others with the same feature?

Offline Benice

« Reply #3433 on: November 18, 2015, 05:11:41 PM »
"allowed a false claim regarding the no, of people who had donated ..."
Let's look at your allegation in detail Benice.
Take a look at any other gfm uk appeal.
Can you show me a single appeal where the  "raised by xx people" figure is correct to your high standards?
Why have you criticised only Leanne's appeal for this feature and not criticised the thousands of others with the same feature?

If the same thing is happening on other sites then they too are guilty of giving false information to the public,

It's not a matter of standards high or otherwise.   Either something is a true fact or it isn't.   AFAIK it's not common practise on such sites for such a large number of people to keep making multiple donations to the same fund.    In  my experience most people make one donation and that's that. 

The one and only purpose of that 'feature' is to show the public how many people have supported the fund.   I presume that is because people are interested in knowing the level of the support from the public for a particular person.       

In the case of Amaral's fund that is not what  has happened.     As a result  of the large amount of people constantly making repeat donations the total gave a completely erroneous impression of the level of support IMO.

If the 'feature' could have been changed from 'the number of people'  to 'the number of donations made' -  or failing that - a message stating the true facts about the total being shown on that page, then that would have been fine by me.   But IMO that was not done because the total shows more people donating than actually did.   A screenshot recently posted asking a person to split their one donation into several smaller donations would appear to support my opinion.

My main reason for pointing this out is because  - without a single shadow of a doubt imo  - if the McCanns had allowed the same situation to prevail on Kate's fund raising site -  they would have been accused of being dishonest and making false claims - faster than a speeding bullet. 

AIMHO

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3434 on: November 18, 2015, 05:27:11 PM »
If the same thing is happening on other sites then they too are guilty of giving false information to the public,

It's not a matter of standards high or otherwise.   Either something is a true fact or it isn't.   AFAIK it's not common practise on such sites for such a large number of people to keep making multiple donations to the same fund.    In  my experience most people make one donation and that's that. 

The one and only purpose of that 'feature' is to show the public how many people have supported the fund.   I presume that is because people are interested in knowing the level of the support from the public for a particular person.       

In the case of Amaral's fund that is not what  has happened.     As a result  of the large amount of people constantly making repeat donations the total gave a completely erroneous impression of the level of support IMO.

If the 'feature' could have been changed from 'the number of people'  to 'the number of donations made' -  or failing that - a message stating the true facts about the total being shown on that page, then that would have been fine by me.   But IMO that was not done because the total shows more people donating than actually did.   A screenshot recently posted asking a person to split their one donation into several smaller donations would appear to support my opinion.

My main reason for pointing this out is because  - without a single shadow of a doubt imo  - if the McCanns had allowed the same situation to prevail on Kate's fund raising site -  they would have been accused of being dishonest and making false claims - faster than a speeding bullet. 

AIMHO
The "raised by xxx people" counter is completely outside of the control of each appeal's organiser.
Do you realise that you seem to be accusing tens of thousands of honest gfmappeals of dishonesty by your standards? Every gfmappeal has the same counter Benice, please check for yourself.