Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853074 times)

Offline Jean-Pierre

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3555 on: November 24, 2015, 04:19:07 PM »
The other party has the real hefty bill.

That goes without saying of course.  Never one to miss an opportunity, eh, Stephen. 

Its sad though that the Ex Cop chose to compound the parents anguish by writing his libelous book. 

stephen25000

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3556 on: November 24, 2015, 04:21:21 PM »
That goes without saying of course.  Never one to miss an opportunity, eh, Stephen. 

Its sad though that the Ex Cop chose to compound the parents anguish by writing his libelous book.

Nope, anymore than you.

As to the parents anguish,  crime remains unknown.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #3557 on: November 24, 2015, 04:28:54 PM »
Nope, anymore than you.

As to the parents anguish,  crime remains unknown.

Well given that over the past 7 years, and Portugal's finest doing their damdest to pin something on Madeleines parents (not to mention a veritable host of the most highly qualified internet investigators) and failing, I suggest whoever did the crime it aint them. 

stephen25000

« Reply #3558 on: November 24, 2015, 04:37:53 PM »
Well given that over the past 7 years, and Portugal's finest doing their damdest to pin something on Madeleines parents (not to mention a veritable host of the most highly qualified internet investigators) and failing, I suggest whoever did the crime it aint them.

You don't know that.

Besides, no else is in the frame.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #3559 on: November 24, 2015, 04:38:17 PM »
More pertinent, Alice, would be to change the names to Detective Inspector Joe Bloggs, and Mr and Mrs Jim Crudd whose case his he has been investigating.  He uses a report as part of his book accusing them of criminal activity even though the case hasnot resulted in an arrest, let alone a conviction. 

It comes to light that the report only covers a very specific scenario yet he has based most of his "case" against Mr and Mrs Crudd on the conclusions reached in that report - Both ploce case and his book. 

Ex Detective Inspector Joe Bloggs is left with egg on face and a hefty bill. 

Liberally seasoned with words like hypothesis and plausible scenario.
Maybe he will get the shaft who knows. My point remains, do you seriously expect either book to be anything other than an exercise to show the author in the best light and the opposing party in the worst light?
I don't, and would take the contents of either book with bushels of salt on that basis.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3560 on: November 24, 2015, 04:44:22 PM »
Liberally seasoned with words like hypothesis and plausible scenario.
Maybe he will get the shaft who knows. My point remains, do you seriously expect either book to be anything other than an exercise to show the author in the best light and the opposing party in the worst light?
I don't, and would take the contents of either book with bushels of salt on that basis.

amaral does not talk about hyoptheses...he says Maddie died in the apartment.....ne says maddie's body was in the hire car...he states these things as facts

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #3561 on: November 24, 2015, 04:56:26 PM »
amaral does not talk about hyoptheses...he says Maddie died in the apartment.....ne says maddie's body was in the hire car...he states these things as facts

Not according to the link J-P posted.
Either you are wrong and the link is hookey or vicky verky.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #3562 on: November 24, 2015, 05:27:02 PM »

He says that too.  Full of theories he is.  The Harrison episode is a good example of his hopelessly muddled thinking.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #3563 on: November 24, 2015, 05:40:52 PM »
Chapter 22:

The conclusions my team and I have arrived at are the following:

1. The minor, Madeleine McCann died inside apartment 5A of the Ocean Club in Vila da Luz, on the night of May 3rd 2007;

No hypothesis mentioned.

Offline mercury

« Reply #3564 on: November 24, 2015, 09:40:59 PM »
He says that too.  Full of theories he is.  The Harrison episode is a good example of his hopelessly muddled thinking.

The appellate court decided his conclusions / interpretations were logically and solidly built based on the evidence, so whats your problem? Do you know better than the judges?

They also said the archiving report by the public prosecutor was not written in stone.

There is such a thing in this world called having a different opinion.....the alternative is fascism, despotism and the rest.....

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3565 on: November 24, 2015, 09:47:18 PM »
The appellate court decided his conclusions / interpretations were logically and solidly built based on the evidence, so whats your problem? Do you know better than the judges?

They also said the archiving report by the public prosecutor was not written in stone.

There is such a thing in this world called having a different opinion.....the alternative is fascism, despotism and the rest.....
  there's also something called libel

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #3566 on: November 24, 2015, 10:18:13 PM »

It is not unusual for detectives to have various theories, it is part of the job piecing things together. Motive, means and opportunity. Basic but brilliant.

Amarals book was not declared libelous. And one can only wonder why  'grieving parents' who's daughter could have been suffering unspeakable torture/abuse ( mental, physical, sexual) had the time and foresight to put so much energy into this case. The money they spent/the travel from the 'fund'  TO look for their daughter.
 Apart from their apparent love of fame and fortune of which they had in abundance. Which is evidenced in their behaviour.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #3567 on: November 24, 2015, 10:41:15 PM »
Chapter 22:

No hypothesis mentioned.

Try reading the whole book Alf, it is strewn with caveats. Which was the point of my post.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #3568 on: November 24, 2015, 10:50:44 PM »
Try reading the whole book Alf, it is strewn with caveats. Which was the point of my post.
So I can disregard the conclusion then (which is unequivocal), is that what you're telling me?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #3569 on: November 24, 2015, 11:12:39 PM »
So I can disregard the conclusion then (which is unequivocal), is that what you're telling me?

The part of the "conclusion" you quote was actually postulated by DCI Andy in his usual all round The Wrekin syntax.
There are ten points to the summary and conclusion in Sr Amarals book why skint yourself on just one bit?. I guess counting is not your long suit.