Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853464 times)

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3900 on: December 06, 2015, 12:14:20 AM »
Why should the Drs McCann fear the law.  Any legal action they have been forced to take has been justified by a successful track record of favourable judgements.

Mr Amaral on the other hand has an abysmal record in the Portuguese law courts.  He has a criminal conviction.  He has lost civil cases some of which were brought against him and some of which he pursued which is perhaps part and parcel of his parlous financial state when costs awarded against him are considered.

Worth pointing out that it is the McCann success in a Portuguese court which is the subject of his appeal ... which is the subject of this thread.

You mean having 58% of the claim booted out was successful?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline mercury

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3901 on: December 06, 2015, 12:24:51 AM »
Why should the Drs McCann fear the law.

Err

My post  was concerning about talking about the case in general and certain people bringing in the

LAW

If they were not worried about it they  wouldnt have done so!!

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3902 on: December 06, 2015, 01:07:08 AM »
Err

My post  was concerning about talking about the case in general and certain people bringing in the

LAW

If they were not worried about it they  wouldnt have done so!!

Oh ... I didn't realise you were speaking about the time they were bound by the Portuguese official secrecy law the breaking of which has a two year jail sentence as a consequence.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3903 on: December 06, 2015, 01:12:45 AM »

Successful enough to be recognised worldwide as a victory in the Drs McCann libel action and successful enough to force Mr Amaral to appeal it if he wishes to keep hold of the money he made out of writing about the case of a missing child which was botched from start to finish on his watch.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline mercury

« Reply #3904 on: December 06, 2015, 01:15:07 AM »
Oh ... I didn't realise you were speaking about the time they were bound by the Portuguese official secrecy law the breaking of which has a two year jail sentence as a consequence.

You have lost the plot.......do read back and find it

The law seems to be a thorn in their  THEIR side,and from the start,  no one on the internet discussing a child missing  mystery had that on their minds, hmmmm...interesting isnt it
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:46:03 AM by mercury »

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #3905 on: December 06, 2015, 12:01:30 PM »
Successful enough to be recognised worldwide as a victory in the Drs McCann libel action and successful enough to force Mr Amaral to appeal it if he wishes to keep hold of the money he made out of writing about the case of a missing child which was botched from start to finish on his watch.

Maybe you had better let us know the definition of "worldwide" upon which you rely in this instance.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3906 on: December 06, 2015, 02:01:05 PM »
Maybe you had better let us know the definition of "worldwide" upon which you rely in this instance.

It certainly does appear that not only do you have a particular difficulty with 'worldwide' you are unfamiliar with 'difamação' which translates as libel and features in the Portuguese press discussing the judgement against Mr Amaral and his subsequent appeal against it.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #3907 on: December 06, 2015, 02:05:14 PM »
If having 58% of the claim booted out resulting in record damages of nearly £400k is not deemed a success in your book, it doesn't follow that everyone else (including the McCanns) would view this result as anything less than a positive result.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #3908 on: December 06, 2015, 02:39:52 PM »

It certainly does appear that not only do you have a particular difficulty with 'worldwide' you are unfamiliar with 'difamação' which translates as libel and features in the Portuguese press discussing the judgement against Mr Amaral and his subsequent appeal against it.

So you believe that the populations of China and the Indian subcontinent have an active interest in this case and  report upon it assiduously in their media?

Wasn't "difamação" a jazz number written and played by Horace Silver and his quintet ?

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #3909 on: December 06, 2015, 02:46:45 PM »
So you believe that the populations of China and the Indian subcontinent have an active interest in this case and  report upon it assiduously in their media?

Wasn't "difamação" a jazz number written and played by Horace Silver and his quintet ?
Worldwide doesn't mean the entire world's population last time I looked.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #3910 on: December 06, 2015, 02:49:58 PM »
If having 58% of the claim booted out resulting in record damages of nearly £400k is not deemed a success in your book, it doesn't follow that everyone else (including the McCanns) would view this result as anything less than a positive result.

Were it my claim, which it isn't of course, my view would be so far so good. Given that the potential return will exceed my outlay if the appeal court do not uphold the appeal. But then I am just a mercenary old git who believes claims like this are mostly about money. One can measure it up the totem pole as it were.
The record damages are a function of the sales of Sr Amaral's book. If you read the judgement it was about restoring equity.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3911 on: December 06, 2015, 02:52:50 PM »
Were it my claim, which it isn't of course, my view would be so far so good. Given that the potential return will exceed my outlay if the appeal court do not uphold the appeal. But then I am just a mercenary old git who believes claims like this are mostly about money. One can measure it up the totem pole as it were.
The record damages are a function of the sales of Sr Amaral's book. If you read the judgement it was about restoring equity.

were it my claim I would be more than happy with the result....the judge also highlighted the McCanns right to be declared innocent

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #3912 on: December 06, 2015, 02:58:22 PM »
were it my claim I would be more than happy with the result....the judge also highlighted the McCanns right to be declared innocent

Were you working for me and submitted a claim for £1.2MM and came back with 400k telling me it was a brilliant result you would be looking for a new job.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #3913 on: December 06, 2015, 03:00:35 PM »
Were you working for me and submitted a claim for £1.2MM and came back with 400k telling me it was a brilliant result you would be looking for a new job.
It's all about the money, money, money for you though, innit bruv?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #3914 on: December 06, 2015, 03:27:27 PM »
It's all about the money, money, money for you though, innit bruv?

You said it buster !
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?