Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853037 times)

Offline pegasus

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3930 on: December 06, 2015, 10:37:24 PM »
They haven't received a penny.
Merely escalating legal bills. ...
Yes legal costs since early 2008 IMO and not a cent to show for it.

Offline mercury

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3931 on: December 06, 2015, 10:50:12 PM »
Yes legal costs since early 2008 IMO and not a cent to show for it.

They must know dirt cheap lawyers then as Geryy tells us the vast majority of the fund has gone directly on search fees...exact words

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #3932 on: December 06, 2015, 10:56:03 PM »
No because it was not a resounding failure either.
Well from now on I'm going to adopt the position that it was a resounding failure just for the joy of having you contradict me. 8)--))

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3933 on: December 06, 2015, 10:59:59 PM »
They must know dirt cheap lawyers then as Geryy tells us the vast majority of the fund has gone directly on search fees...exact words
IMO the preparations (with associated legal costs) to take civil action against Mr Amaral were possibly already being made in the first quarter of 2008.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 11:04:23 PM by pegasus »

Offline mercury

« Reply #3934 on: December 06, 2015, 11:05:14 PM »
IMO the preperations (with associated legal costs) to take civil action against Mr Amaral were possibly already being made in the first quarter of 2008.

No doubt for vexatious litigants or people who threaten to sue at every opportunity

Offline misty

« Reply #3935 on: December 06, 2015, 11:22:19 PM »
IMO the preparations (with associated legal costs) to take civil action against Mr Amaral were possibly already being made in the first quarter of 2008.

You think someone from the publishers had leaked details of Amaral's draft manuscript at that stage? I'm shocked.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #3936 on: December 06, 2015, 11:36:51 PM »
Well from now on I'm going to adopt the position that it was a resounding failure just for the joy of having you contradict me. 8)--))

Why not just adopt a position which reflects what it [the judgement] really is ?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3937 on: December 07, 2015, 12:25:12 AM »
You think someone from the publishers had leaked details of Amaral's draft manuscript at that stage? I'm shocked.
No, just interpreting legalese in accounts Misty.

Offline misty

« Reply #3938 on: December 07, 2015, 01:47:50 AM »
No, just interpreting legalese in accounts Misty.

How can you make that interpretation from the accounts? Amaral was still a serving officer in the first half of 2008. On what basis would they have been preparing to sue him?

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #3939 on: December 07, 2015, 08:08:41 AM »
Why not just adopt a position which reflects what it [the judgement] really is ?
Because you will argue that white is black and it gets very tedious.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #3940 on: December 07, 2015, 09:32:43 AM »
Because you will argue that white is black and it gets very tedious.

I think the whole deal is pretty straightforward.
Try this angle:
In no country can a lower court overturn the ruling of a higher court. Once that is accepted things start to drop into place.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #3941 on: December 07, 2015, 09:37:25 AM »
Try this angle:
In no country can a lower court overturn the ruling of a higher court. Once that is accepted things start to drop into place.
Yeah, whatever you say - you're absolutely right, totally agree 100%. 8@??)(

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #3942 on: December 07, 2015, 11:10:59 AM »
Try this angle:

And that is clearly not happening in this case, is it?

So I cannot see why you even bothered to mention it. 

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #3943 on: December 07, 2015, 11:53:57 AM »
And that is clearly not happening in this case, is it?

So I cannot see why you even bothered to mention it.

Fair enough, if you can't see why.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #3944 on: December 07, 2015, 12:09:11 PM »
Fair enough, if you can't see why.

I assume you are not conflating two different cases.

The ex parte injunction was, and subsequent appeals, was one case.  The supreme court simply overturned the ex parte injunction and restored the status quo. 

The libel trial over Amaral's book, documentary etc was a completely separate case, and the outcome (damages of E 500k, interest no further sales of the book, video etc).   

So there is no question of any ruling being "overturned".

Sorry to burst your bubble.