Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853036 times)

ferryman

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #4155 on: December 13, 2015, 12:14:55 PM »
I don't think libelling the children was part of the claim.....much as you don't want to accept it...the verdict was a resounding victory for the McCanns and a disaster for amaral

Amaral's book will never see light of day (at least in any retail shop, perhaps, free on the internet).  Neither his video.

He would be a brave (foolhardy) man to continue appearances on television to talk about it.

Since Amaral's assets are frozen, he may not have too many options about delaying payment of damages to the McCanns.

It's difficult to see what consolation Amaral can take from the fallout of events in May.

His appeal (if such he has) is against the damages award.

Offline faithlilly

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #4156 on: December 13, 2015, 12:21:47 PM »
Amaral's book will never see light of day (at least in any retail shop, perhaps, free on the internet).  Neither his video.

He would be a brave (foolhardy) man to continue appearances on television to talk about it.

Since Amaral's assets are frozen, he may not have too many options about delaying payment of damages to the McCanns.

It's difficult to see what consolation Amaral can take from the fallout of events in May.

If Amaral loses the McCanns will still have to pay over 50% of the costs which could possibly, I assume, erode significantly the damages awarded to them.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

stephen25000

« Reply #4157 on: December 13, 2015, 12:24:39 PM »

It has already seen the light of day, and both are freely available.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:58:30 PM by Eleanor »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4158 on: December 13, 2015, 12:26:33 PM »
If Amaral loses the McCanns will still have to pay over 50% of the costs which could possibly, I assume, erode significantly the damages awarded to them.

early damage limitation

stephen25000

ferryman

« Reply #4160 on: December 13, 2015, 12:41:21 PM »
Amaral has been punished for writing a book of lies that will never see light of day again.

stephen25000

« Reply #4161 on: December 13, 2015, 12:43:23 PM »
Amaral has been punished for writing a book of lies that will never see light of day again.

It is available, FREELY , on the net.

Yet you know that already. 8**8:/:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:59:07 PM by Eleanor »

ferryman

« Reply #4162 on: December 13, 2015, 01:10:11 PM »
See my post 4218 (above) ....

Offline John

« Reply #4163 on: December 13, 2015, 01:59:27 PM »
I am told Gonçalo is currently writing another book about his experiences post coordinator.  Should be an interesting read.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #4164 on: December 13, 2015, 02:20:34 PM »
I never said that the verdict was a car crash for the McCanns. I was referring to the fact that they didn't challenge the McCann's 'spinned' version of their win. Not one reported the truth of the verdict; that the McCann's won damages for themselves, but not for their children or for the 'harm to the search'. Team McCann may have been telling the truth as they saw it when they said the case was about the harm caused to the search and the libeling of the children, but that's not why they won a pay out.
I believe the past tense of spin is spun, but that's by the by.  The papers reported the truth in as much as the verdict was a resounding success for the McCanns and that Amaral was ordered to make the largest ever payout in PT legal history for a case of this kind.  The detail that you are harping on is of little interest or consequence to the average punter, much as you would wish it to be otherwise.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #4165 on: December 13, 2015, 02:33:45 PM »

That is correct provided he loses his appeal.
Mind you if he loses it only cuts off a source income for Sr Amaral which was the objective of the ruling. The offending work is splattered all over the net and 250,000 copies are in circulation somewhere so his word is about for anyone who wishes to read it.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4166 on: December 13, 2015, 02:38:24 PM »
That is correct provided he loses his appeal.
Mind you if he loses it only cuts off a source income for Sr Amaral which was the objective of the ruling. The offending work is splattered all over the net and 250,000 copies are in circulation somewhere so his word is about for anyone who wishes to read it.

I think the important words are...for anyone who wishes to read it

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #4167 on: December 13, 2015, 03:41:05 PM »
I think the important words are...for anyone who wishes to read it

Probably, but the net result of the trial,so far, is that Sr Amaral may not profit from the book and video but the thesis is at large and quoted by the press which provides a larger circulation than the book sales.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4168 on: December 13, 2015, 04:44:30 PM »
Probably, but the net result of the trial,so far, is that Sr Amaral may not profit from the book and video but the thesis is at large and quoted by the press which provides a larger circulation than the book sales.

I would say he and his thesis has been fairly well discredited outside of Portugal

Offline Brietta

« Reply #4169 on: December 13, 2015, 05:09:23 PM »
I would say he and his thesis has been fairly well discredited outside of Portugal

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating ... it will be interesting to see if after the dust settles on the appeal ... Mr Amaral's presence as a pundit on Portuguese television holds the same sway.

Could be a nice little earner down the drain ... having Google read (LOL) some of the comments in the Portuguese press after the announcement of the judgement ... there are a lot of people in Portugal none too impressed by him.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....