Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853490 times)

Offline Jean-Pierre

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #4260 on: January 22, 2016, 09:58:59 PM »
Known in debate as a genetic fallacy.

It shows a rare talent.  8(0(*

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #4261 on: January 22, 2016, 10:03:37 PM »

You're not suggesting that the board of directors don't consider such questions, are you?

Getting an investigation reopened in Portugal seems to have required somewhat more effort than a "stamp on a letter" (as Amaral et al., asserted at one point).

Of course not!
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #4262 on: January 22, 2016, 10:24:30 PM »
The fund states that the money was to be used in the search for Madeleine and to help the parents.

If someone comes along and writes a book saying the child is dead and the parents are responsible for hiding her body.   Then the money [as it is there to help the family]   can use it in order to stop the accusations being made as the public will assume the child is dead and there is no need to continue to search for her or give any information regarding where she may be.

Then why not be transparent about the fact ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Carana

« Reply #4263 on: January 22, 2016, 10:39:36 PM »
Of course not!

I didn't think so, but it was worth clarifying just in case it gives someone the idea to start yet a new petition to launch yet another full public inquiry with powers to summon witnesses...

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #4264 on: January 22, 2016, 10:57:09 PM »
I didn't think so, but it was worth clarifying just in case it gives someone the idea to start yet a new petition to launch yet another full public inquiry with powers to summon witnesses...

I thought it might make a topic that didn't include a percentage and whether or not the "forensic accountant" was Boy George's mum  8(0(*. The latter could have a few legs in it I suppose.
At least we know the gross amount spent so there is no guesswork about it. Maybe that's why it will not take off ?{)(**
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #4265 on: January 22, 2016, 11:14:00 PM »
I thought it might make a topic that didn't include a percentage and whether or not the "forensic accountant" was Boy George's mum  8(0(*. The latter could have a few legs in it I suppose.
At least we know the gross amount spent so there is no guesswork about it. Maybe that's why it will not take off ?{)(**

The other problem is that it covers the period to 31st March 2008 - during which the pj were investigating, the mccanns were aguidos etc etc.  the Scope for private investigating was a bit limited.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #4266 on: January 23, 2016, 02:10:36 AM »
The fund states that the money was to be used in the search for Madeleine and to help the parents...(snip)
The aim "To provide support, including financial assistance, to Madeleine’s family" was removed by a special amendment many years ago, it is an ex-aim, it no longer exists.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #4267 on: January 23, 2016, 09:15:03 AM »
It shows a rare talent.  8(0(*

I was of course referring to your argument.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

stephen25000

« Reply #4268 on: January 23, 2016, 09:27:56 AM »
I was of course referring to your argument.

We can take no responsibility for Jean's genes. 8)--))

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #4269 on: January 23, 2016, 12:59:32 PM »
The other problem is that it covers the period to 31st March 2008 - during which the pj were investigating, the mccanns were aguidos etc etc.  the Scope for private investigating was a bit limited.

That is just delineation for the sake of it.
It has no impact on "the company" having been set up to investigate what befell Madeleine McCann and to bring those responsible to justice. Broadly speaking all company costs are to those ends. Who did what with which and to whom is interesting and has the potential to generate n to the power of lots in posts but it will not alter £3.3MM ish having been spent on the company's objectives.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #4270 on: January 23, 2016, 01:02:40 PM »
We can take no responsibility for Jean's genes. 8)--))

Haha - that's really rather good.   8(0(*

Offline pegasus

« Reply #4271 on: January 31, 2016, 10:42:56 PM »
So basically are we all agreed that from the completely legal but rather brief accounts at CH it is impossible for anyone but a psychic to get any idea of how much income was recieved or how much was spent?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #4272 on: February 01, 2016, 12:15:16 AM »
So basically are we all agreed that from the completely legal but rather brief accounts at CH it is impossible for anyone but a psychic to get any idea of how much income was recieved or how much was spent?

I wonder at your continued beating of this particular drum and your exoneration of the totally opaque Goncalo Amaral Fund.  The published accounts of Madeleine's Fund ... a fund which has enabled and sustained the search for a missing child over the years no-one else was looking for her ... provide a legal summation and provide an indication of exactly what remains in the kitty.

The unpublished accounts of Goncalo Amaral's Fund ... a fund which has sustained six years of litigation ... remains entirely secretive about "how much income was received or how much was spent" and how much remains in the kitty.

Extract from the PJGA Manifesto
published on 11.06.2009

“The book “Maddie: A Verdade da Mentira” was subject to an injunction that sought not only the suspension of sales of the book and the DVD that was based on it, but also of any and all divulgation of the thesis that is defended by Dr. Gonçalo Amaral, author of the book and former Judiciary Police coordinator, about the ‘Madeleine McCann’ case.

Through this action, a ban was imposed not merely on the written work, but on an entire line of thought: the expression of an opinion, based on the facts of a police investigation; a rational, responsible, mature decision.

Nonetheless, said injunction was merely the tip of an iceberg. In the main action that it refers to, Madeleine’s parents seek to extort the sum of 1.2 million Euros from Dr. Gonçalo Amaral – an astronomical amount that is out of any proportion, both legal, and ethical.

A second injunction succeeded in apprehending belongings and professional income from the defendant, stifling his capacity to respond in financial terms, given the fact that judicial and process costs are indexed to the value that is demanded through the main action. In this manner, stripped of his freedom of expression and economically asphyxiated, the siege on a Man who, at huge personal and family cost, seeks nothing more than the reopening of a judicial process, in order to conclude an investigation that so many consider has been cut off halfway through, closes in.”

The Legal Defence Fund/Solidarity Account was constituted to support Gonçalo Amaral in his struggle to regain his inalienable Right to Freedom of Expression as consecrated in the Portuguese Republic’s Constitution exclusively through the payment of judicial expenses and whenever it is proved necessary.

Cheques or donations made out personally to Gonçalo Amaral and/or to his family members are not accepted, and will be returned.

Financial resources that are deemed excessive in the future will be delivered to a social institution, dedicated to support children in need.

More information at Press Release – Defence Fund and Charter of Principles.

Madeleine McCann's case has been reopened ... nothing at all to do with Mr Amaral's efforts.  All to do with the unprecedented efforts of Madeleine's much traduced parents.

Amaral answers to the McCanns: exclusive interview to Portuguese newspaper "The Crime":

"I did what I could to help find Maddie, but, I made some mistakes".

The former PJ coordinator considers that "a cop is not obliged to obtain results", but to do the best he can. And he claims convinced that he is going to win the case which opposes him against the British couple about the injunction on his book. "Don´t underestimate me", he warns.**

Question: Don´t you think you had the obligation of finding little Maddie, just like the couple says?

Answer: A cop is not obliged to obtain results. He is obliged to do the best he can. That is what I and my Portuguese and British colleagues have done. With mistakes, I admit. I have already made the self-critic of the investigation in the book "The truth of lie".

Question: If mistakes were not made in the investigation, would it be possible to find the girl alive?

Answer: Maybe the girl could have been found. I cannot say more because of the injunction.

Everyone makes mistakes but if he did the best he could it was a pretty poor show particularly if he admits to mistakes ... following the wrong thesis possibly one ... if his answer that the "girl could have been found" is anything to go by.

Probably the best plan of action would be to await the conclusion of his appeal against the award made against him for defamation.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4273 on: February 01, 2016, 12:34:02 AM »
The initial injunction against Amaral's book was overturned and the McCanns, I think, got the bill. Now it's been banned by the defamation judge will they still have to pay that first legal bill or will the latest judgement change the first one?

Of course Amaral's fund is not in his name, it's just for his benefit. He has received none of the money and has no control over it. It is used only for legal fees, so we know where it goes.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Benice

« Reply #4274 on: February 01, 2016, 08:17:33 AM »
The initial injunction against Amaral's book was overturned and the McCanns, I think, got the bill. Now it's been banned by the defamation judge will they still have to pay that first legal bill or will the latest judgement change the first one?

Of course Amaral's fund is not in his name, it's just for his benefit. He has received none of the money and has no control over it. It is used only for legal fees, so we know where it goes.

That all sounds very simple and straightforward G - so why the decision NOT to publish what must be the equally 'simple and straightforward' accounts?   Maybe there is a good reason - but I for one can't think what it could be.

It seems discourteous to the donators to keep them completely in the dark - and even more discourteous not to even offer an explanation for that decision. 

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal