Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853527 times)

Offline mercury

Not sure about that. I can't think what else a PJ disciplinary measure dating back to 30 June 2010 could be about (if indeed that's the starting date and not some mid-point concerning something else).

Well let us know when you find out so far its not hit the headlines..this and one other was theown out with a flea ear, ask mrs duarte

Offline Carana

Well let us know when you find out so far its not hit the headlines..this and one other was theown out with a flea ear, ask mrs duarte

Why would a €500 disciplinary fine hit the headlines? I agree that it's not the sort of thing any of his fans would rush to translate, but that's a different matter.

Offline G-Unit

Not sure about that. I can't think what else a PJ disciplinary measure dating back to 30 June 2010 could be about (if indeed that's the starting date and not some mid-point concerning something else).

If it was to do with Judicial Secrecy the penalty of 500 Euros would suggest it's a fairly minor offence. The Supreme Court ignored it in the first book banning carry-on. Then along comes a Judge who uses it as one of the main points of her judgement.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Carana

If it was to do with Judicial Secrecy the penalty of 500 Euros would suggest it's a fairly minor offence. The Supreme Court ignored it in the first book banning carry-on. Then along comes a Judge who uses it as one of the main points of her judgement.

It wouldn't have been relevant to the injunction, I wouldn't have thought, but would explain a separate complaint, if one was ever filed.

Offline G-Unit

It wouldn't have been relevant to the injunction, I wouldn't have thought, but would explain a separate complaint, if one was ever filed.

It was mentioned during the injunction hearings, so Isabel Duarte thought it was relevant. If Amaral breached Judicial secrecy to write his book it would have been very relevant, surely?

The deputy director of a popular Portuguese tabloid that distributed a DVD based on a documentary that claimed Madeleine McCann died tragically in a holiday apartment in the Algarve in May 2007 denied in court last week (February 10) that judicial secrecy had been broken.
http://www.mccannfiles.com/id309.html Algarve Resident.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline mercury

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2010/01/attempt-to-breach-secrecy-of-justice.html

Whats this all about then?

ferryman

AFAIK, it will be about whether he had the legal right, in view of his former position, to state what he did, when he did, and present it as fact.

His appeal is likely to be that he was technically free from any former professional obligations to shut up. There does seem to be a grey area over when this shut up period may be considered to have ended.

On the other hand, it's impossible to launch a book, ready to go on sale, 3 days after the archiving despatch had been made public without those involved in the publishing industry being aware of the contents. *

That is likely to be part of the issue... and if there are no precedents, it may be complicated.

* ETA: he therefore breached the confidentiality regulation while he was still a serving officer.

His objection is likely to be that this breach is of a lower order (an administrative offence) than his constitutional right to full freedom of speech.

I think  (now!) what the judge meant when she said she is not interested in questions of truth or untruth is that it was not her job to test the truth (or otherwise!) of the files themselves.

Her job was to test to what extent Amaral's book reflects what is written in the files.

If it's in the files, Amaral can say it (and not be touched in libel) even if it is demeaning to the McCanns.

A complication is that stuff written in the files is contradicted by other stuff, also written in the files.

It is written in the files (Almeida!) that Eddie scented death all over the place.

And it is written in the files (Grime and Harrison) that no incriminating inference can be drawn from the reactions of the dogs.

So does that entitle Amaral to say Eddie scented death?

Or doesn't it?

In my view, it ought not.

Amaral completely misrepresented the role of Harrison (as written in the files).

That ought to be a very big black mark.

And Amaral's last chapter contradicts the archiving dispatch.

That should be the biggest black mark of all ....

Offline pegasus

(snip) ... Polícia Judiciária
Aviso (extrato) n.o 11666/2013
Nos termos e para os efeitos do disposto no n.o 3 do artigo 25 do Regulamento Disciplinar da Polícia Judiciária publicado no Decreto-Lei n.o 196/94 de 21 de julho, na impossibilidade, confirmada, de proceder à notificação pessoal, por ausência, em parte incerta, notifica-se o Coordenador de Investigação Criminal, na situação de aposentado, Licenciado Gonçalo de Sousa Amaral, que por despacho da Ministra da Justiça, de 26 de agosto de 2013, foi concedido provimento parcial do recurso hierárquico por si interposto do ato recorrido consubstanciado no despacho do Diretor Nacional Adjunto, de 30 de junho de 2010, tendo a pena disciplinar de multa no montante de 500,00 € sido mantida e a suspensão na sua execução sido reduzida de dois para o período mínimo de um ano, começando esta a produzir efeitos decorridos 15 dias após a publicação deste aviso no Diário da República.
6 de setembro de 2013. — Pela Diretora da Unidade, João Prata Augusto.
http://legislacaoportuguesa.com/aviso-extrato-n-o-116662013-d-r-n-o-180-parte-c-serie-ii-de-2013-09-18/
Carana the small amount 500 euro suggests this might be just a matter of a lawyer missing a deadline to register as assistant (in which event the registration fee is doubled to about 500 euro)???

Offline Carana

Carana the small amount 500 euro suggests this might be just a matter of a lawyer missing a deadline to register as assistant (in which event the registration fee is doubled to about 500 euro)???

I don't think so, Pegasus. It seems to concern a disciplinary action from the deputy head of the PJ against which he'd appealed to a higher level.

ferryman

Do you mean about a thousand euros?

Offline pegasus

Do you mean about a thousand euros?
I read a similar trivial thing about Joana case where a fee of of 200+ euro ??? for a lawyer to register as assistante  was doubled for being late but sorry I lost the link Ferryman

Offline mercury

What is what about?

Did the mccanns/duarte win a case aganst amaral for breaking the secrecy of justice laws?

Offline Carana

Did the mccanns/duarte win a case aganst amaral for breaking the secrecy of justice laws?

I've no idea whether a court case was ever intended over it or not. Duarte may simply have complained to the PJ, which might explain the sanction.

Offline mercury

I've no idea whether a court case was ever intended over it or not. Duarte may simply have complained to the PJ, which might explain the sanction.

Thats what my link showed, i remember reading abut it elsewhere as well, so yes, it was intended