Author Topic: Oprah Winfrey Interview  (Read 8625 times)

Offline Innominate

Oprah Winfrey Interview
« on: June 05, 2017, 11:13:49 AM »
Transcript of the show: http://madeleinemccann.org/blog/2009/05/04/oprah-winfrey-interview/

The following extract is related to the 10pm visit:

Kate: I went at ten and I went into the apartment and there was no crying I stopped and there was no crying. And then I just noticed that the door was quite open

Oprah: Which door?

Kate: Their bedroom door sorry, and we usually have the door as Gerry said sort of not closed but ajar just so that a little bit of light gets in and it’s not too dark in the room so I thought oh Matt must have gone in and left the door open

Oprah: same thing he thought

Kate: Yeah, so I thought well I’ll just close it over again, and as I went to close it over it slammed shut and I thought and it was like sort of you know a draught had caused it to shut so I turned behind me and I thought are the patio doors open and they were closed and I thought well that’s strange so then I opened the door thinking I’ll open it ajar a bit again and that was when I kind of looked into the room and when I just looked and it was quite dark and I was just looking and looking at Madeleine’s bed and I was thinking is that her that I was looking for why isn’t Madeleine there? And then in the end I walked over and thought oh, she’s not in bed and then I thought maybe she’s wandered through to our bed and that’s why the door’s open so I went through to our bedroom and she wasn’t there and then I kind of see then I’m starting to panic a bit and I ran back into their room and literally as I went back into their room the curtains that were drawn over just “foooosh” flew open and that’s when I saw that the shutter was right up and the window was pushed right oper. And that was when I just knew that erm someone had taken her. So I, I mean I ran to the window and I didn’t know what I thought was going to see but I ran to the window and then I quickly hmm quickly looked through the wardrobes I had I suppose this temporary thought she was cowering in a wardrobe or something anyway she wasn’t there and I just ran out and soon as…

===

My thoughts are:

1. "and as I went to close it over it slammed shut and I thought and it was like sort of you know a draught had caused it to shut so I turned behind me and I thought are the patio doors open and they were closed "

I thought she entered through the patio doors, but the wording does not give that impression: "so I turned behind me and I thought are the patio doors open and they were closed".

2. Why did the door slam at that time and not well before she entered the apartment? When she was there she claims two gusts of wind in quick succession. This seems quite a coincidence. If it was windy, the door would likely slammed shut before she arrived in the apartment.

3. "when I just looked and it was quite dark and I was just looking and looking at Madeleine’s bed and I was thinking is that her that I was looking for why isn’t Madeleine there?"

This seems to imply that the curtains were closed especially in context of the hand signals when she states the curtains were drawn over.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 02:48:36 AM by John »

Offline John

Re: Oprah Winfrey Interview
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 03:13:32 PM »
Surely if someone had entered the apartment via the children's bedroom window they would have pushed the curtains back to facilitate their entry over what was a relatively high sill, I think Amaral stated that it was 900mm high, and to enable them to see what they were doing in the bedroom?  All very odd.

The fact that the curtains were still closed points more to an attempted entry and waking a terrified child imo.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 03:18:04 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 03:38:57 PM »
As the curtains covering the patio doors were drawn, she wouldn't have been able to see if the door was open.

They arrived at the Tapas around 8:31, taking the direct route, i.e. left by the veranda door, went down to the road and entered the secondary reception of the complex. As they left by the veranda door, this door remained closed but not locked, as this is only possible from the inside. The curtains were closed.
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/KATE-MCCANN_ARGUIDO.htm
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Online Eleanor

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 03:58:29 PM »
I don't really understand what all the arguments are about.  It's all quite plain and simple to me.  Someone probably broke into the appartment through one of the doors or the window, and abducted Madeleine.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 10:31:05 PM by John »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 04:05:17 PM »
As the curtains covering the patio doors were drawn, she wouldn't have been able to see if the door was open.

They arrived at the Tapas around 8:31, taking the direct route, i.e. left by the veranda door, went down to the road and entered the secondary reception of the complex. As they left by the veranda door, this door remained closed but not locked, as this is only possible from the inside. The curtains were closed.
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/KATE-MCCANN_ARGUIDO.htm

When she entered, I presume she pulled the door curtain aside with the intention of pulling it closed behind her on exit. Therefore her view of the door would not have been obstructed by the curtain.

Who is to say that while she was checking the children, someone hiding in the room may have seized the opportunity to slip out.  Whose exit perhaps caused the through draught which caused the bedroom door to slam in the first place?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 04:43:47 PM »
When she entered, I presume she pulled the door curtain aside with the intention of pulling it closed behind her on exit. Therefore her view of the door would not have been obstructed by the curtain.

Who is to say that while she was checking the children, someone hiding in the room may have seized the opportunity to slip out.  Whose exit perhaps caused the through draught which caused the bedroom door to slam in the first place?

Presuming adds nothing to the discussion. Someone was probably hiding with Maddie in their arms? Care to presume where this would be in the apartment. AND how Kate would not see them in her search?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 10:32:34 PM by John »
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 04:48:28 PM »
Transcript of the show: http://madeleinemccann.org/blog/2009/05/04/oprah-winfrey-interview/

Kate: I went at ten and I went into the apartment and there was no crying I stopped and there was no crying. And then I just noticed that the door was quite open

Kate: Their bedroom door sorry, and we usually have the door as Gerry said sort of not closed but ajar just so that a little bit of light gets in and it’s not too dark in the room so I thought oh Matt must have gone in and left the door open

Kate: Yeah, so I thought well I’ll just close it over again, and as I went to close it over it slammed shut and I thought and it was like sort of you know a draught had caused it to shut so I turned behind me and I thought are the patio doors open and they were closed and I thought well that’s strange so then I opened the door thinking I’ll open it ajar a bit again and that was when I kind of looked into the room and when I just looked and it was quite dark and I was just looking and looking at Madeleine’s bed and I was thinking is that her that I was looking for why isn’t Madeleine there? And then in the end I walked over and thought oh, she’s not in bed and then I thought maybe she’s wandered through to our bed and that’s why the door’s open so I went through to our bedroom and she wasn’t there and then I kind of see then I’m starting to panic a bit and I ran back into their room and literally as I went back into their room the curtains that were drawn over just “foooosh” flew open and that’s when I saw that the shutter was right up and the window was pushed right oper. And that was when I just knew that erm someone had taken her. So I, I mean I ran to the window and I didn’t know what I thought was going to see but I ran to the window and then I quickly hmm quickly looked through the wardrobes I had I suppose this temporary thought she was cowering in a wardrobe or something anyway she wasn’t there and I just ran out and soon as…

===

My thoughts are:

1. "and as I went to close it over it slammed shut and I thought and it was like sort of you know a draught had caused it to shut so I turned behind me and I thought are the patio doors open and they were closed "

I thought she entered through the patio doors, but the wording does not give that impression: "so I turned behind me and I thought are the patio doors open and they were closed".

2. Why did the door slam at that time and not well before she entered the apartment? When she was there she claims two gusts of wind in quick succession. This seems quite a coincidence. If it was windy, the door would likely slammed shut before she arrived in the apartment.

3. "when I just looked and it was quite dark and I was just looking and looking at Madeleine’s bed and I was thinking is that her that I was looking for why isn’t Madeleine there?"

This seems to imply that the curtains were closed especially in context of the hand signals when she states the curtains were drawn over.

Excellent finding this. The whole Oprah show was a show geared to the audience who hade been told Maddie was abducted by a stranger via a window. It was good to see a polished version for their audience none of this  errr um you know...um well you know .. cr@p. They also regained their memory, Jane Tanner saw Maddie wearing this * holding up pyjamas* as she was abducted.... Hmmm.

'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Erngath

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »
I don't really understand what all the arguments are about.  It's all quite plain and simple to me.  Someone probably broke into the appartment  through one of the doors or the window, and abducted Madeleine.

Agreed.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 10:33:26 PM by John »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 06:59:31 PM »
Presuming adds nothing to the discussion. Someone was hiding with Maddie in their arms? care to presume where this would be  in the apartment. AND how Kate would not see them in her search?

I did not say anything about anyone hiding with Madeleine in their arms ... I did however say someone exiting (which means they would not have been in the apartment during Kate's search) the apartment could have caused the draught which blew the door shut.
Makes as much sense as any of the other presumptions doing the rounds and more than most. imo
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 10:33:42 PM by John »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 07:28:55 PM »

Do you mean pushing or pulling it towards the middle? Most curtains are attached to a stopper at the outside edge so they don't do that when you close them. I couldn't see anywhere to hide in that room.
Result = happy posting.

Offline misty

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 09:54:32 PM »

===

My thoughts are:

1. Possibly Kate thought that the patio door had somehow slid back open - it was shown to move quite easily in the runner - or else someone may have come in behind her?

2. The door would not have blown shut prior to Kate entering the apartment because it was open at an angle of 45°
or maybe wider. Only when Kate moved the door to a much tighter angle would the wind have caught it & blown it shut.
ETA This could also indicate that the window was opened after Gerry's 2110hrs check as he said that he left the door in a slightly ajar position.

4. MO thought that the main curtains were closed at around 2130hrs.
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MATTHEW-OLDFIELD-10MAY.htm
"That he did not enter the bedroom where MBM and the twins were sleeping. He recalls that the bedroom door was half open, making an angle of 50 degrees. He does not know how far away he was from the bedroom door. He recalls having the perception that the window curtains - green in colour - were drawn closed but could not determine if the window was closed or open."

The net had to have been already drawn back for Kate to easily see the window was open & shutters were up; therefore the net would not have "whooshed".

JMO.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 11:33:53 PM by misty »

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 10:01:31 PM »

Both are possible, but highly unlikely for the second part to happen. 
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 12:46:14 PM »
1. Possibly Kate thought that the patio door had somehow slid back open - it was shown to move quite easily in the runner - or else someone may have come in behind her?

2. The door would not have blown shut prior to Kate entering the apartment because it was open at an angle of 45°
or maybe wider. Only when Kate moved the door to a much tighter angle would the wind have caught it & blown it shut.
ETA This could also indicate that the window was opened after Gerry's 2110hrs check as he said that he left the door in a slightly ajar position.

4. MO thought that the main curtains were closed at around 2130hrs.
"That he did not enter the bedroom where MBM and the twins were sleeping. He recalls that the bedroom door was half open, making an angle of 50 degrees. He does not know how far away he was from the bedroom door. He recalls having the perception that the window curtains - green in colour - were drawn closed but could not determine if the window was closed or open."

The net had to have been already drawn back for Kate to easily see the window was open & shutters were up; therefore the net would not have "whooshed".

JMO.

Matthew Oldfield's evidence of what he could see is puzzling. In the 'Madeleine was here' documentary he claims that he could see both the twin's cots as he walked across the living room towards their bedroom. This wasn't tested in the video, however, the bedroom door remained closed. In his 10th May statement he says;

He recalls that the bedroom door was half open, making an angle of 50 degrees......He recalls having the perception that the window curtains - green in colour - were drawn closed........having managed to glimpse the two twins inside their cots, the deponent returned to the restaurant to finish dinner.

Firstly, Matthew couldn't see both twins unless their cots were moved before the police photos were taken, because one had a solid end. Secondly, the bedroom door is opened fully by Gerry in part 3/5 at 9.03. In my opinion Matthew  would not have been able to see the curtains if the door was half open. I am basing this on the view of the curtains at 9.30 in the same video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXtBWNCFt7U
Result = happy posting.

Offline misty

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 01:08:15 PM »
Matthew Oldfield's evidence of what he could see is puzzling. In the 'Madeleine was here' documentary he claims that he could see both the twin's cots as he walked across the living room towards their bedroom. This wasn't tested in the video, however, the bedroom door remained closed. In his 10th May statement he says;

He recalls that the bedroom door was half open, making an angle of 50 degrees......He recalls having the perception that the window curtains - green in colour - were drawn closed........having managed to glimpse the two twins inside their cots, the deponent returned to the restaurant to finish dinner.

Firstly, Matthew couldn't see both twins unless their cots were moved before the police photos were taken, because one had a solid end. Secondly, the bedroom door is opened fully by Gerry in part 3/5 at 9.03. In my opinion Matthew  would not have been able to see the curtains if the door was half open. I am basing this on the view of the curtains at 9.30 in the same video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXtBWNCFt7U

MO is quite tall so it is entirely possible he could have seen both twins in their cots from his viewpoint.
I can see the curtains at 9.26 & the cameraman is at an angle behind Gerry so doesn't give MO's exact perspective.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 01:38:56 PM »
MO is quite tall so it is entirely possible he could have seen both twins in their cots from his viewpoint.
I can see the curtains at 9.26 & the cameraman is at an angle behind Gerry so doesn't give MO's exact perspective.

It's just about possible from right in the doorway of the room to see a head, perhaps. You would then see a lot more than the corner of Madeleine's bed too.

Tell me, could you see those curtains if the door was half closed and tell if they were drawn or open? I think not.

Result = happy posting.