Author Topic: Oprah Winfrey Interview  (Read 8611 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Oprah Winfrey Interview
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 04:32:37 PM »
How do you know she hadn't turned on the light by that stage?  She is a doctor so I'd imagine she went in and put her hand out and felt the window and found it had been slid across.  They are trained to poke and prod to make a diagnosis.

She diagnosed an open window? I've heard it all now.  @)(++(*

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline misty

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 05:15:15 PM »
What was fluttering in the breeze then? The curtains were open according to the parents.

I prefer to believe the words written or spoken directly by Kate, not an interpreter's report of what was thought to have been said.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 05:27:14 PM »
I prefer to believe the words written or spoken directly by Kate, not an interpreter's report of what was thought to have been said.

Though the early the statement, the more likely it is to be more accurate.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline misty

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 05:29:42 PM »
Though the early the statement, the more likely it is to be more accurate.

It is only more accurate if it is understood correctly, translated correctly, recorded correctly & re-translated correctly. Too much margin for error imho.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 06:11:29 PM »
It is only more accurate if it is understood correctly, translated correctly, recorded correctly & re-translated correctly. Too much margin for error imho.

You either accept all the statements or you accept none of them. What seems to happen is those that people dislike are rejected and those they like are quoted. Cherry picking.
Result = happy posting.

Offline misty

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 06:43:36 PM »
You either accept all the statements or you accept none of them. What seems to happen is those that people dislike are rejected and those they like are quoted. Cherry picking.

When I first became interested in the online case I did accept the statements as being accurate. Now I don't, simply because of translation errors & omissions we have already identified & the clear contradictions with what we have heard straight from the horse's mouth. Spending hours dissecting each & every anomaly in the Tapas 9 statements is only relevant if you believe people within the group have done something criminal. As I don't believe that, I'd rather look at the evidence away from the group.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 06:58:05 PM »
When I first became interested in the online case I did accept the statements as being accurate. Now I don't, simply because of translation errors & omissions we have already identified & the clear contradictions with what we have heard straight from the horse's mouth. Spending hours dissecting each & every anomaly in the Tapas 9 statements is only relevant if you believe people within the group have done something criminal. As I don't believe that, I'd rather look at the evidence away from the group.

You and Operation Grange both!  8((()*/

I agree that there are contradictions, but I don't think translation errors and omissions are the reason for them..
Result = happy posting.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2017, 09:08:21 PM »
You and Operation Grange both!  8((()*/

I agree that there are contradictions, but I don't think translation errors and omissions are the reason for them..
Translation errors and omissions certainly don't help.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2017, 10:18:40 AM »
Translation errors and omissions certainly don't help.

Do they even exist or are they a myth? We had a thread for translation errors and found nothing of interest. I don't know what is meant by omissions.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2017, 10:48:28 AM »
Do they even exist or are they a myth? We had a thread for translation errors and found nothing of interest. I don't know what is meant by omissions.
Statements not included in file. would be as good example of omissions.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2017, 10:56:29 AM »

They maybe unreleased rather than missing.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2017, 11:20:10 AM »
They maybe unreleased rather than missing.
What is an omission then - what about all those MW guests that didn't get interviewed.  wasn't there a person with the surname Topman
Moderation

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2017, 11:56:51 AM »
What is an omission then - what about all those MW guests that didn't get interviewed.  wasn't there a person with the surname Topman

Until the poster who mentions omissions explains we don't know what they are. However;

Leicestershire Police were tasked with sending questionnaires to everyone who was there on 3rd. If there was information in the replies it would have been their job to follow it up. See page 6.

http://library.college.police.uk/docs/npia/Strategic-debrief-operation-task-2009.pdf
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2017, 12:05:47 PM »

All the formal statements taken by the PJ were filed. Nothing was left out. Some statements were removed before the files were made public, and the reasons are documented.

http://mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MISSING_PAGES.htm
Result = happy posting.

Offline Benice

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2017, 12:06:57 PM »

Not a myth according to this interpreter's own notes: 

[M Oldfield's  Statement 10th May   Again, there were several omissions from, and errors in, the original Portuguese. I corrected those that I found. Also, much of the Portuguese statement is written with a convoluted 'future + past' verb construct that attributes an 'uncertainty' to the words, whereas I have translated much of it in a non-literal manner to make it read more definitively.

Hence, the reader must understand that neither the Portuguese nor my translation necessarily constitute the exact words spoken by Oldfield.

If you read MO's Rogatory Letter testimony you will get a sense of the difficulty the Portuguese interpreter faced when listening to this man.]
End quote

The interpretor herself tells us that neither her translation nor the Portuguese translation can be guaranteed to be accurate and explains the difficulties faced by interpreters.

The idea that no errors whatsoeover could have crept into translations of statements which had previously been translated by a different translator is definitely a myth IMO.

Why anyone would dismiss this interpreter's explanation as 'nothing of interest' is a mystery to me.   I would say it's extremely pertinent if people are under the misapprehension that it is a fact that translations are always accurate.
IMO

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal