Author Topic: A Good, Bad or Average Theory What's The Difference?  (Read 170483 times)

Offline Holly Goodhead

A Good, Bad or Average Theory What's The Difference?
« on: September 27, 2019, 09:39:43 AM »
It's easy to say I've got a theory but how many can stand up to scrutiny where all the pieces fit together?

Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Mr Gray

Re: A Good, Bad or Average Theory What's The Difference?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 09:50:26 AM »
It's easy to say I've got a theory but how many can stand up to scrutiny where all the pieces fit together?

Yours hasnt

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:56:27 AM »
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 10:13:07 AM »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 10:14:37 AM »
Johns theory... Also Angelos
Maddie left the apartment by the front door and was abducted on the street.

Offline Anthro

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 10:18:27 AM »
I think ‘hypothesis’ is a better description in this case.

“The Difference Between Hypothesis and Theory

A hypothesis is an assumption, an idea that is proposed for the sake of argument so that it can be tested to see if it might be true. In the scientific method, the hypothesis is constructed before any applicable research has been done, apart from a basic background review. You ask a question, read up on what has been studied before, and then form a hypothesis. A hypothesis is usually tentative; it's an assumption or suggestion made strictly for the objective of being tested.

A theory, in contrast, is a principle that has been formed as an attempt to explain things that have already been substantiated by data. Because of the rigors of experimentation and control, it is understood to be more likely to be true than a hypothesis is” (Merriam-Webster dictionary).

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 10:26:02 AM »

A hypothesis is an assumption, an idea that is proposed for the sake of argument so that it can be tested to see if it might be true. In the scientific method, the hypothesis is constructed before any applicable research has been done, apart from a basic background review. You ask a question, read up on what has been studied before, and then form a hypothesis. A hypothesis is usually tentative; it's an assumption or suggestion made strictly for the objective of being tested.

A theory, in contrast, is a principle that has been formed as an attempt to explain things that have already been substantiated by data. Because of the rigors of experimentation and control, it is understood to be more likely to be true than a hypothesis is” (Merriam-Webster dictionary).

Holly reckons she's solved it so hypothesis doesn't fit at all

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 10:31:45 AM »
Johns theory... Also Angelos
Maddie left the apartment by the front door and was abducted on the street.

But that's their theory not mine. 

I'll ask the question again will you accept John and Myster as individual impartial judges on my theory?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 10:33:58 AM »

I'll ask the question again will you accept John and Myster as individual impartial judges on my theory?

Absolutely  not... Why should I
John has a different  theory... Which I don't agree with

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 10:44:51 AM »

Yes
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 10:45:32 AM »
Absolutely  not... Why should I
John has a different  theory... Which I don't agree with

We're not talking about John's theory and we're not talking about John alone but John and Myster to review my theory?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 10:47:44 AM »
Yes

Good, thanks.

I think most will have already seen Myster is bipartisan in that he concluded the fingerprint did actually originate from GNR officer Nelson da Costa and not my abductor suspect as I speculated.   

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 10:50:36 AM »
We're not talking about John's theory and we're not talking about John alone but John and Myster to review my theory?
Let them review it. If John says this is sensational ...incredible... Obviously I would be impressed.
The fact is you told OG your theory at least two months ago and nothings happened... Why

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 11:06:57 AM »

I'm pretty sure I've heard police officers, not just in this case but others too, refer to hypothesising and theories about what happened and who was involved. 

Offline barrier

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2019, 11:27:06 AM »
Let them review it. If John says this is sensational ...incredible... Obviously I would be impressed.
The fact is you told OG your theory at least two months ago and nothings happened... Why

Just suppose for this argument's sake,Holly's theory had some standing,what would you in the short term expect of OG?
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.