Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 281031 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #285 on: December 22, 2018, 09:40:15 AM »

I think you will find I have already answered.  But here it is again:  I have taken no steps so far to help mitigate the effects on my business of a no deal Brexit.  Now please educate me.

It's just common sense really. It isn't, as I first thought, you who are importing the goods you sell. Therefore you need to speak to the importers; your suppliers? They should be researching;

The likely amount of any price increases to them.

The likelihood of delays to their deliveries.

If they, like you, have done nothing you could approach other suppliers (if there are any) to see if they're more proactive.

Failing all that, the WTO website lists tariffs, which will give you an idea about price rises. Clearly customs checks will delay deliveries so that needs to be taken into account.

If you have regular customers who order from you, let them know that they should order earlier than normal and perhaps recommend that they order extra in the meantime if the product keeps.

If your customers are one off, and you have a website make sure you have a page on Brexit, warning of any future price rises or delays as a result of a no deal exit. (Is that a Nexit lol?)

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #286 on: December 22, 2018, 05:37:54 PM »
It's just common sense really. It isn't, as I first thought, you who are importing the goods you sell. Therefore you need to speak to the importers; your suppliers? They should be researching;

The likely amount of any price increases to them.

The likelihood of delays to their deliveries.

If they, like you, have done nothing you could approach other suppliers (if there are any) to see if they're more proactive.

Failing all that, the WTO website lists tariffs, which will give you an idea about price rises. Clearly customs checks will delay deliveries so that needs to be taken into account.

If you have regular customers who order from you, let them know that they should order earlier than normal and perhaps recommend that they order extra in the meantime if the product keeps.

If your customers are one off, and you have a website make sure you have a page on Brexit, warning of any future price rises or delays as a result of a no deal exit. (Is that a Nexit lol?)
Most of the companies I deal with directly are global organizations and are already putting plans in place and have issued warnings.  Customer pre-ordering is standard practice in my company already as it helps me to gauge demand.  Thanks for the advice (genuinely) but in practice there is very little I can do to plan for a no deal Brexit, apart from to consider what alternatives are within my control going forward  - product mix, overheads including staffing levels, opening hours, maximizing online sales opportunities etc marketing, most things which I am constantly considering and tweaking / implementing anyway.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #287 on: January 10, 2019, 07:01:09 PM »
So the UK are moving inexorably towards a no deal Brexit. If they reject May's deal next week they have no other option in my opinion.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #288 on: January 11, 2019, 07:22:51 AM »
So the UK are moving inexorably towards a no deal Brexit. If they reject May's deal next week they have no other option in my opinion.
And this is what those who voted leave wanted all along.  So bring it on.  I look forward to hearing them blame everyone but themselves when it all goes to shit.  Not. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #289 on: January 12, 2019, 10:12:20 AM »
And this is what those who voted leave wanted all along.  So bring it on.  I look forward to hearing them blame everyone but themselves when it all goes to shit.  Not.

Obviously that's what they wanted, it's what they voted for. You seem incredibly well informed about the characters of the 17.5 million people who voted to leave. How on earth can you know that they will all blame others if it 'goes to s**t'? (your language!) You also seem to have accepted the passemist's opinion that it will 'all go to s**t'. It might be the best thing the UK ever did. Either way, you are clearly not a democrat because a democrat believes that the result of a democratic vote should be accepted.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2019, 05:56:18 PM »
Obviously that's what they wanted, it's what they voted for. You seem incredibly well informed about the characters of the 17.5 million people who voted to leave. How on earth can you know that they will all blame others if it 'goes to s**t'? (your language!) You also seem to have accepted the passemist's opinion that it will 'all go to s**t'. It might be the best thing the UK ever did. Either way, you are clearly not a democrat because a democrat believes that the result of a democratic vote should be accepted.
Oh I’m clearly not a democrat am I?  And your evidence for this is what exactly?  The fact that I’m a pessimist and used a naughty word?  What piffle.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 05:58:36 PM by Vertigo Swirl »

Offline Carana

« Reply #291 on: January 13, 2019, 07:29:01 AM »

Can it be considered a democratic vote when:
- the electorate had no way of knowing the implications at the time?
- some politicians engaged in dodgy campaign tactics (cf Farage, Banks and the Cambridge Analytica saga), using money from as yet unclear sources, with campaign messages that were largely on the spectrum ranging from misleading to false?
- Scotland, NI and Gibraltar voted against it?
- UK citizens resident in Europe for 15+ years were banned from voting?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:36:41 AM by Carana »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #292 on: January 13, 2019, 08:30:15 AM »
Can it be considered a democratic vote when:
- the electorate had no way of knowing the implications at the time?
- some politicians engaged in dodgy campaign tactics (cf Farage, Banks and the Cambridge Analytica saga), using money from as yet unclear sources, with campaign messages that were largely on the spectrum ranging from misleading to false?
- Scotland, NI and Gibraltar voted against it?
- UK citizens resident in Europe for 15+ years were banned from voting?

It was as democratic as any general election, unless you think politicians know the truth and tell it when canpaigning. The truth is that no-one knows what the implications will be, they're all guessing no matter which point of view they have.

If you're going to break the vote down into areas you might as well start arguing about how counties or towns voted. The referendum was a UK referendum, so how parts of the UK voted isn't relevant.

There is a cut-off point for voting if people live abroad and they know it. Tough.

It might be worth remembering that the UK vored to join the Common Market originally, it never voted to join the European Union.

Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #293 on: January 13, 2019, 12:48:21 PM »
It was as democratic as any general election, unless you think politicians know the truth and tell it when canpaigning. The truth is that no-one knows what the implications will be, they're all guessing no matter which point of view they have.

If you're going to break the vote down into areas you might as well start arguing about how counties or towns voted. The referendum was a UK referendum, so how parts of the UK voted isn't relevant.

There is a cut-off point for voting if people live abroad and they know it. Tough.

It might be worth remembering that the UK vored to join the Common Market originally, it never voted to join the European Union.
Do you think the population of Great Britain is better informed now about the EU and the risks of leaving it now than they were three years ago?  Is it a good idea to take a course of action the outcome of which for the entire country is (according to you) completely unknown?

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #294 on: January 13, 2019, 03:08:13 PM »

At a general election political parties set out a detailed manifesto, and this is subject to detailed critique by the press and rival parties. 

And it is subject to another election in 5 years.

Vote leave were v economical with the truth and the likely outcome is very different from that which was promised. 

My thoughts are that you should have a second referendum. 

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #295 on: January 14, 2019, 09:17:33 AM »
There was an interesting debate this morning. Lord Mandelson was predicting awful consequences if the UK left the EU without a deal. Piers Morgan reminded him of the awful consequences he predicted if the UK didn't join the Euro; which never occured. Why, he asked, should people believe Mandelson this time? A reasonable point.

Esther McVey then spoke on the subject and sounded like the voice of reason to me. She said the Remainers were trying to scare people just as they did during the referendum campaign. According to her we have no need to fear leaving without a deal. Preparations have been made and trading under WTO rules isn't the end of the world; much of our trade is already done that way, as is much of world trade.

I agree with Piers Morgan. He thinks the population were asked a question and promised that the result of the referendum would be honoured. The political classes need to stop patronising the electorate and carry out their democratically expressed will.

The problem, it seems to me, is not whether we stay in the EU or leave, the problem is the reluctance of politicians to uphold democratic ideals. It first emerged in the Labour Party following the election of Corbyn and it now seems that we have few if any politicians who actually believe in democracy. They only believe in it if it delivers what they want in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:28:20 AM by G-Unit »
Result = happy posting.

Offline Carana

« Reply #296 on: January 14, 2019, 09:43:10 AM »
At a general election political parties set out a detailed manifesto, and this is subject to detailed critique by the press and rival parties. 

And it is subject to another election in 5 years.

Vote leave were v economical with the truth and the likely outcome is very different from that which was promised. 

My thoughts are that you should have a second referendum.

Agreed. If you vote in a general election and the government doesn't deliver, you can vote differently next time.

Not so with Brexit.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #297 on: January 14, 2019, 10:55:19 AM »
Agreed. If you vote in a general election and the government doesn't deliver, you can vote differently next time.

Not so with Brexit.

So democracy is only valid if there's a time limit on the result? The people's will is axcceptable every five years but not otherwise? The political class are, in my opinion, heading for a harsh lesson. Unlike our monarchs of old they have no right to rule, devine or otherwise. They are where they are with the permission of the people. Riding roughshod over the will of the people is a very risky game in my opinion.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #298 on: January 14, 2019, 11:14:50 AM »
There was an interesting debate this morning. Lord Mandelson was predicting awful consequences if the UK left the EU without a deal. Piers Morgan reminded him of the awful consequences he predicted if the UK didn't join the Euro; which never occured. Why, he asked, should people believe Mandelson this time? A reasonable point.

Esther McVey then spoke on the subject and sounded like the voice of reason to me. She said the Remainers were trying to scare people just as they did during the referendum campaign. According to her we have no need to fear leaving without a deal. Preparations have been made and trading under WTO rules isn't the end of the world; much of our trade is already done that way, as is much of world trade.

I agree with Piers Morgan. He thinks the population were asked a question and promised that the result of the referendum would be honoured. The political classes need to stop patronising the electorate and carry out their democratically expressed will.

The problem, it seems to me, is not whether we stay in the EU or leave, the problem is the reluctance of politicians to uphold democratic ideals. It first emerged in the Labour Party following the election of Corbyn and it now seems that we have few if any politicians who actually believe in democracy. They only believe in it if it delivers what they want in my opinion.

Project Fear is well and truly underway as some MP's attempt to thwart the BREXIT process for their own political ends.  Those MP's who are doing this despite their constituencies voting to leave are being exposed daily in social media. I think their chances of ever being re-elected in any future general election are diminishing by the day.

This week is almost predictable.  Theresa May will lose the Withdrawal Agreement vote tomorrow night, Corbyn will raise a motion of no confidence in her thereafter and will then lose the vote making him look stupid and weak.

I predict too that BREXIT will happen on Friday 29 March by default. The next day will be business as usual, the world will not stop turning.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 11:18:16 AM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #299 on: January 14, 2019, 12:59:33 PM »
Project Fear is well and truly underway as some MP's attempt to thwart the BREXIT process for their own political ends.  Those MP's who are doing this despite their constituencies voting to leave are being exposed daily in social media. I think their chances of ever being re-elected in any future general election are diminishing by the day.

This week is almost predictable.  Theresa May will lose the Withdrawal Agreement vote tomorrow night, Corbyn will raise a motion of no confidence in her thereafter and will then lose the vote making him look stupid and weak.

I predict too that BREXIT will happen on Friday 29 March by default. The next day will be business as usual, the world will not stop turning.

People have been told for years that they live in a democracy. Other countries have been criticised for being undemocratic. It beggars belief that our politicians have publicly and blatently refused to accept the result of a democratic referendum. They all deserve to lose their seats.

Farage gave his opinion this morning. According to him 90% of our trade takes place outside the EU under WTO rules. On the supply chain scare tactics he quoted the assurance by the ports in France that there would be no delays in movement. He also promised to get involved in campaigning again if he thought it necessary.
Result = happy posting.