Poll

Peer Reviewed Research suggests that Scent Dogs of all types have a maximunm combined accuracy of about 90%

I Understand and Accept this
3 (50%)
I believe Scent Dogs are more accurate than this
1 (16.7%)
I am not sure
1 (16.7%)
I don't believe Scent Dogs generally are that accurate
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 24, 2018, 11:14:43 AM

Author Topic: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy  (Read 237419 times)

AnneGuedes

Re: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy
« Reply #180 on: November 04, 2013, 09:28:17 AM »
Ittakes two reactions- an alert from the VRD dog and a non alert from the blood dog as Eddie reacts to blood from a person who is still alive as one of his behaviours.
Relax, nothing proves the body scent was from Madeleine.
As the dog exhibited immediate excitation and alerted in four places, somebody had died in the flat or a dead person had transited there, but who ? That's the rub.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #181 on: November 04, 2013, 09:32:49 AM »
The number of times Eddie was called back is an excellent example of the Clever Hans effect. Grime knew that that was the McCann's car becasue of the posters. If you analyse the video, Eddie was called back about ten times (never more than once with any other car) and spent more time with the McCann's car than any others, even before alerting, meanwhile obviously alerting in distress to a blank wall. A defense lawyer (and an animal psychologist) would have torn the evidence in the garage to shreds!

Yes, it wasn't Mr Grimes finest hour.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

AnneGuedes

« Reply #182 on: November 04, 2013, 09:40:37 AM »
So don't you believe Grime when he says his dogs cannot distinguish between the scent from a dead person or  the same scent from various body bits and bodily fluids from a live person? 

If Eddie had spent the same amount of time in other apartments/cars as he did in 5A and the Renault - he may  have alerted in one or more of those other places.   Or conversely,  if Eddie had only been allowed to spend the same small amount of time in 5A and the Renault as he did in those other places, he many not have alerted in 5A or at the Renault.     

For example:-  After 30 seconds (i.e. the maximum time spent on the other cars) Eddie had not alerted.   After 30 seconds spent on the Renault the result was the same - Eddie had not alerted. 

Unless the same amount of time is spent at each site/object - then clearly the tests cannot be regarded as unbiased.
Eddie can't distinguish between the body of X and the body of Y.  He can't distinguish between the scent of X's remains, discovered after days, and the scent the remains of X left where X died, before X's body is taken to the incinerator.
About the time to spend here and there, I'd leave it to the experts if I were you, Benice.
This is far to be the first time you're spreading the subliminal myth that Mr Grime and Prof Harrison crooked the Portuguese Justice !

Aiofe

« Reply #183 on: November 04, 2013, 09:43:55 AM »
As the dog exhibited immediate excitation and alerted in four places, somebody had died in the flat or a dead person had transited there, but who ? That's the rub.

Nothing proves it was body scent! From anyone!

Aiofe

« Reply #184 on: November 04, 2013, 09:46:23 AM »
@)(++(*

You may find that funny, but any fair and unbiased viewing of the video shows that Grime made Eddie return time and time again to the McCann's car. Same with cuddle-cat. Obviously cuing and thus a demonstration of the Clever Hans effect. They would not dare enter that video in evidence for a prosecution!

Aiofe

« Reply #185 on: November 04, 2013, 09:47:52 AM »

"As the dog exhibited immediate excitation and alerted in four places, somebody had died in the flat or a dead person had transited there, but who ?" is completely false.

Aiofe

« Reply #186 on: November 04, 2013, 09:49:14 AM »
Eddie can't distinguish between the body of X and the body of Y.  He can't distinguish between the scent of X's remains, discovered after days, and the scent the remains of X left where X died, before X's body is taken to the incinerator.
About the time to spend here and there, I'd leave it to the experts if I were you, Benice.
This is far to be the first time you're spreading the subliminal myth that Mr Grime and Prof Harrison crooked the Portuguese Justice !

Eddie cannot tell the difference between dried blood from a currently living person and the presence of cadaver odour!

AnneGuedes

« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2013, 09:49:46 AM »
"As the dog exhibited immediate excitation and alerted in four places, somebody had died in the flat or a dead person had transited there, but who ?" is completely false.
No. Listen or read Mr Grime.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2013, 09:53:44 AM »
Eddie cannot tell the difference between dried blood from a currently living person and the presence of cadaver odour!
He picked up the scent immediately after the door was open, he was still outside. The scent was in 5A's air and only there. Not in 5B, 5D, 5H, 4G, Flores villa, Murat villa.

Aiofe

« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2013, 09:54:44 AM »
No. Listen or read Mr Grime.

No, he never said that- you need to listen or read it!

As you suggest that Mr Grime is the source for this, you will have no problem providing the link for the reference- we await your production of it.....

Aiofe

« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2013, 09:55:59 AM »
He picked up the scent immediately after the door was open, he was still outside. The scent was in 5A's air and only there. Not in 5B, 5D, 5H, 4G, Flores villa, Murat villa.

Mr Grime at no time claims that Eddie was reacting to cadaver scent as he knows that Eddie cannot tell the difference between dried blood from a living person and cadaver scent.

Offline Benice

« Reply #191 on: November 04, 2013, 09:58:31 AM »

Once again Anne you accuse me of spreading myths and this is by no means the first time.     I have asked you several time to stop spreading this lie about me.      I have never reported anyone but if you do it again I shall have no alternative but to report you.   Your persistent personal accusations and attacks on me are against forum rules.

I do not lie or create myths or spread myths.    I post facts and opinions in line with forum rules.     No-one is under any obligation to agree with me.   

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

AnneGuedes

« Reply #192 on: November 04, 2013, 09:58:43 AM »
Read the AG report. You'll see the AG was concerned with that scent.. Perhaps he would have dropped the hypothesis of homicide and concealment of body, if Eddie hadn't alerted.

Aiofe

« Reply #193 on: November 04, 2013, 09:59:31 AM »
Read the AG report. You'll see the AG was concerned with that scent.. Perhaps he would have dropped the hypothesis of homicide and concealment of body, if Eddie hadn't alerted.

Eddie alerts to dried blood from a living person- do you agree?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #194 on: November 04, 2013, 10:04:46 AM »
Once again Anne you accuse me of spreading myths and this is by no means the first time.     I have asked you several time to stop spreading this lie about me.      I have never reported anyone but if you do it again I shall have no alternative but to report you.   Your persistent personal accusations and attacks on me are against forum rules.

I do not lie or create myths or spread myths.    I post facts and opinions in line with forum rules.     No-one is under any obligation to agree with me.   
Report me as you like it.
Your insistence in pretending that Mr Grime (and his supervisor, Prof Harrison) didn't allow Eddie the time to eventually react similarly in the other places is false. There is an obvious reason why Eddie spent less time in the other places. You know it, it has been pointed to you many times, but you deliberately choose to ignore it because your objective is to discredit, finally, the NPIA and the PJ which trusted them.