Poll

Peer Reviewed Research suggests that Scent Dogs of all types have a maximunm combined accuracy of about 90%

I Understand and Accept this
3 (50%)
I believe Scent Dogs are more accurate than this
1 (16.7%)
I am not sure
1 (16.7%)
I don't believe Scent Dogs generally are that accurate
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 24, 2018, 11:14:43 AM

Author Topic: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy  (Read 237416 times)

Redblossom

Re: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy
« Reply #210 on: November 04, 2013, 09:31:28 PM »
I reckon you conveniently dropped the "professor" part ! Are your lollipop ladies professors ?
@)(++(*

Cariad

« Reply #211 on: November 04, 2013, 09:51:47 PM »
Mr Aiofe is on my ignore list, for insisting in ignorance, but when someone answers him, I see.
The Clever Hans effect has nothing to do here, what handlers are aware of is something else, called the Rosenthal effect. It is the unconscious tendency for results to conform experimenter's expectations. Prof Harrison and Mr Grime had nothing to gain with alerts of the dogs. In itself the lack of alert would have been much more informative.

I haven't heard of that! Thank you, I'll Google it now.

I agree that Mr Grime had nothing to gain if the dogs alerted!

Offline Cudge

« Reply #212 on: November 04, 2013, 10:33:08 PM »
I reckon you conveniently dropped the "professor" part ! Are your lollipop ladies professors ?

I am not disputing the relèvance of him Being  a professor. I just do not understand why over the last few months you have continually made reference to his award of an MBE as if this enhances his credentials in his field of work

Aiofe

« Reply #213 on: November 04, 2013, 11:22:11 PM »
I haven't heard of that! Thank you, I'll Google it now.

I agree that Mr Grime had nothing to gain if the dogs alerted!

You are certainly NOT on an ignore list. You still have many cites, references and supports outstanding for your erroneous claims.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #214 on: November 04, 2013, 11:36:09 PM »
I am not disputing the relèvance of him Being  a professor. I just do not understand why over the last few months you have continually made reference to his award of an MBE as if this enhances his credentials in his field of work
I didn't invent this title. No, it doesn't give him more credits, but I observed that posters criticized Mr Grime and not Prof Harrison who was in fact the head of the operation. For a time they even ignored he was a professor. So I deduced MBE impressed the British !
Interesting reading
http://criminology.research.southwales.ac.uk/media/files/documents/2013-10-31/Volume_4_Issue_2_Autumn_2008.pdf

Cariad

« Reply #215 on: November 05, 2013, 09:37:55 AM »
You are certainly NOT on an ignore list. You still have many cites, references and supports outstanding for your erroneous claims.

What erroneous claims have I made? If I can't provide a cite I usually edit my comment to say so. Can you be more specific please?

Offline Benice

« Reply #216 on: November 05, 2013, 09:53:01 AM »
What erroneous claims have I made? If I can't provide a cite I usually edit my comment to say so. Can you be more specific please?

I could be wrong Cariad, but I think Aiofe may have got you mixed up with Anne.
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Cariad

« Reply #217 on: November 05, 2013, 09:55:48 AM »
I could be wrong Cariad, but I think Aiofe may have got you mixed up with Anne.

Oh, Ok. Thank you. I couldn't for the life of me think what I'd claimed!  @)(++(*

Aiofe

« Reply #218 on: November 05, 2013, 10:12:08 AM »

Sorry, it is Anne making erroneous claims.

As far as your comment about Grime having nothing to gain- cuing is often unconscious- the handler does not realise they are doing it.

Offline Benice

« Reply #219 on: November 05, 2013, 10:23:45 AM »
Sorry, it is Anne making erroneous claims.

As far as your comment about Grime having nothing to gain- cuing is often unconscious- the handler does not realise they are doing it.

This is true.  Not only do the dogs need to be regularly tested - so do the handlers IMO - simply because cueing can be unconscious - and result in false alerts.   
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline John

« Reply #220 on: November 05, 2013, 07:50:27 PM »
Can we please have sensible debate on this issue and leave the personal comments aside. TY
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline faithlilly

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 05:08:32 PM by Faithlilly »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #222 on: November 14, 2013, 09:19:38 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-482105/Madeleine-McCanns-consult-American-lawyers-cadaver-dog-evidence.html

But then :

http://host.madison.com/news/zapata-admits-killing-wife-gets-years-the-former-madison-man/article_3f7a7f4f-cb83-5869-b9c6-23532bc49a4e.html

Seems at the beginning of the case police were similarly unable to charge Zapata through lack of evidence.
They are more pragmatic in the US...
He wasn't asked, at least on the record, but Prof Harrison was decent enough not to say what he personally thought of Eddie's change of behaviour as soon as 5A door was open.

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #223 on: November 21, 2013, 12:39:14 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-482105/Madeleine-McCanns-consult-American-lawyers-cadaver-dog-evidence.html

But then :

http://host.madison.com/news/zapata-admits-killing-wife-gets-years-the-former-madison-man/article_3f7a7f4f-cb83-5869-b9c6-23532bc49a4e.html

Seems at the beginning of the case police were similarly unable to charge Zapata through lack of evidence.

Should be a thread just for Zapata, because didnt the McCanns use this case to show how the dogs evidence was a waste of time.

Shame that the judge decided to ignore their findings when the bloke admitted to killing his wife what a year later in 2008.

So the dogs indicated correctly AGAIN.

Gosh those dogs are so darn clever... 8@??)(

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #224 on: December 26, 2013, 01:54:42 PM »
What makes sense is the trail the dogs found indicating Madeleine came through the front way as she said on Sept 6th. That's why tracking dogs are used.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.