Poll

Peer Reviewed Research suggests that Scent Dogs of all types have a maximunm combined accuracy of about 90%

I Understand and Accept this
3 (50%)
I believe Scent Dogs are more accurate than this
1 (16.7%)
I am not sure
1 (16.7%)
I don't believe Scent Dogs generally are that accurate
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 24, 2018, 11:14:43 AM

Author Topic: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy  (Read 237422 times)

AnneGuedes

Re: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy
« Reply #255 on: December 27, 2013, 10:12:03 AM »
If Eddie alerted at the flower bed and knowing that Eddie could detect scent from a couple of feet underground then why didn't they dig down?
Perhaps they would have if the alert had been the strongest there.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #256 on: December 27, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »
If Eddie alerted at the flower bed and knowing that Eddie could detect scent from a couple of feet underground then why didn't they dig down?

This is why I wanted to see the footage (if it exists) when they went back the next day in the daylight to do a further checks at the flower bed. It is hard to get the full facts from the night time footage - Grime said he wanted to come back the next day as further checks were required. I know Eddie was very interested in the balcony outside the parents bedroom and he was sniffing that wall/climbing plant a lot as you can see in the footage. He was not interested in the main back patio door entrance. He alerted in the flower bed in the garden. I believe some climbing plant branches were collected for possible evidence. Now scent shouldn't be collected in the flower bed at the bottom of the steps unless there is a possible reason for it e.g. a body being there only for a short time i.e. light scent detected.

The cadaver body hypothesis sequence:

1. Behind Sofa
2. Wardrobe
3. Exit through Parent's Bedroom Patio Door to Balcony
4. Down steps to flower bed
5. Exit through gate.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 02:31:44 PM by pathfinder73 »
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Anna

« Reply #257 on: December 27, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
This is why I wanted to see the footage (if it exists) when they went back the next day in the daylight to do a further checks at the flower bed. It is hard to get the full facts from the night time footage - Grime said he wanted to come back the next day as further checks were required. I know Eddie was very interested in the balcony outside the parents bedroom and he was sniffing that wall/climbing plant a lot as you can see in the footage. He was not interested in the main back patio door entrance. He alerted in the flower bed in the garden. I believe some climbing plant branches were collected for possible evidence. Now scent shouldn't be collected in the flower bed at the bottom of the steps unless there is a possible reason for it e.g. a body being there only for a short time i.e. light scent detected.

The cadaver body hypothesis sequence:

1. Behind Sofa
2. Wardrobe
3. Exit through Parent's Bedroom Patio Door to Balcony
4. Down steps to flower bed
5. Exit through gate.

I.m not sure what you are looking for, but you will find it in McCann files
I don't know if the following is any good on the cadaver and blood sniffer dogs. I thought the front was by the front main door, which I believe also has a flowerbed. All the dog reports are in the files

1. Apartment 5 A, OC resort from which the girl disappeared

- Cadaver odour dog
• in the couple’s bedroom on the floor next to the wardrobe.
• In the living room, behind the sofa, next to the lateral window of the apartment.

2. Patio area, in front of apartment 5 A

- Cadaver odour dog
• in one of the flower beds, the dog handler commented upon the weakness (lightness) of the odour detected.

3. Apartments where the rest of the group was staying

• Nothing was found by either dog.

4. Residence of the McCann couple at the time of the date of inspection

• Nothing was found by either dog in the villa.

5. In the locality of P da L

6. The clothes and belongings of the McCann family

- Cadaver odour dog
• on two pieces of clothing belonging to Kate Healy.
• On a piece of clothing belonging to Madeleine.
• Possibly, on a soft toy belonging to Madeleine (cadaver odour was detected when the toy was still in the residence (on the date it was occupied by the family)).
• Signalling was confirmed in a scenario outside the villa.

7. In the vehicle used by the McCann family

- cadaver odour dog
• signalled the car key

- blood dog

* signalled the vehicle’s key.
* signalled inside the vehicle’s luggage boot.

8. In a vehicle used by a friend of the family who was staying at the same resort, coinciding for a few days.

9. In all the cars used by Robert Murat and people close to him

(Of a total of 10 vehicles the cadaver odour dog and the blood dog only signalled the vehicle hired by the McCann family on 27th May).

The places and objects signalled by the blood dog were tested forensically by the reputed British Laboratory (FSS) whose final results are not yet available. However, there are indications that would show that these will be inconclusive, in other words they do not corroborate the dogs signalling without leaving any doubt.

Based upon the action of the sniffer dog team which reveals the eventual existence of a cadaver in the apartment and in the car used by the McCann family and with the aim of enabling Gerald and Kate to safeguard their position in the process they were constituted arguidos, in the face of the mere possibility of their involvement with the eventual cadaver. During the course off their interrogation as arguidos they denied any responsibility in the disappearance of their daughter.

“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #258 on: December 27, 2013, 04:01:50 PM »
Thanks yeah they've say the front which is actually the back. The garden/patio/flower beds is at the back of the apartment which you access going down the back steps i.e. tapas bar side. This is referred to as the front in that report which is incorrect. The front door with the key is the north side by the car park with no garden.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 04:03:41 PM by pathfinder73 »
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #259 on: December 27, 2013, 04:12:18 PM »
It would be better, though too late, to speak of north and south sides. There's no flower bed on the north side. The flowerbed is not at the bottom of the steps. A Bougainvilliers is growing there.

Offline Anna

« Reply #260 on: December 27, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
Thanks yeah they've say the front which is actually the back. The garden/patio/flower beds is at the back of the apartment which you access going down the back steps i.e. tapas bar side. This is referred to as the front in that report which is incorrect. The front door with the key is the north side by the car park with no garden.

So the flower beds that I am looking at are on the area behind the wall separating the main door from the car park

This must be what was discussed about the tracker dogs heading for lote 6 apartments car park across the road
I have to say that I think the police and all the help given by, villagers, helicopters, volunteer planes flown in line along the area, boats, motorbikes, extra dogs to assist in search, done a fantastic job of searching and all the police had a 7 day cancellation
on leave days

Anyway here is the confusing bit and it makes me think that there is a fair possibility she would have been abducted through the unlocked front door(by car park) and transported to that car park

- Completing the internal search of Block 5 - the verandas of access to the apartments - and when outside, the dog turned toward [directed itself to] Block 4. However, at the corner of Block 5, it turned left heading for the path between the building and the leisure area - pools and restaurant - going on to turn left [again], i.e. going around the building, setting out for the main street, crossing the road to the wall of Block 6. There, it sniffed the bottom, turned to the right - going down the road - taking itself to the car park next to Block 6 where its search [took it] to a lamppost where it then became confused and stopped the search. According to the GNR team this situation could be due to the fact that the strongest concentration of smells on that path, due to it being a little more preserved from the wind and "protected" between walls, it being certain that when it arrived at the main street and turned to the right, there was a major dispersal of odours, causing the dog to lose interest in continuing the search.
- The second dog was submitted to the same operation, also showing interest at door of 5J, namely it scratched with it front paws at the veranda parapet and lifted its head to sniff the air to find a scent. As noted above, this interest was conditioned by various things, it being certain that the dog sensed a strong odour in that place and wanted to check that [if] he had found the intended scent there.
- After the first search the two rubbish bags were removed from 5H so that during the second one there was no smell of rubbish, and the [second] dog showed no interest at the door of that apartment.
- Outside, the dog immediately followed the same path as the first, taking itself to the car park next to Block 6 where it also lost interest in the search.
- It is true to say that the dogs effectively showed interest in the above-mentioned apartments, without giving an indication needed to their handler that they had [found] the presence of the trail of the missing child. It is also certain that the course that they made to the car park next to Block 6 was done without hesitation and in a most convincing manner.
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #261 on: December 27, 2013, 05:20:14 PM »
It would be better, though too late, to speak of north and south sides. There's no flower bed on the north side. The flowerbed is not at the bottom of the steps. A Bougainvilliers is growing there.

Agreed we will call it the south side. "We've searched the outer perimeter and there is some interest here but it will take further examination to see what's going on." (Martin Grime from night time footage)

- Cadaver odour dog
• in one of the flower beds, the dog handler commented upon the weakness (lightness) of the odour detected.

You could hide a body for a short time inside those bushes in the flower bed next to wall where Eddie is seen alerting below? Maybe if discovered it's accidental death from a fall from balcony.

NOV 08

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 06:48:11 PM by pathfinder73 »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #262 on: December 27, 2013, 07:04:15 PM »
So the flower beds that I am looking at are on the area behind the wall separating the main door from the car park

This must be what was discussed about the tracker dogs heading for lote 6 apartments car park across the road
I have to say that I think the police and all the help given by, villagers, helicopters, volunteer planes flown in line along the area, boats, motorbikes, extra dogs to assist in search, done a fantastic job of searching and all the police had a 7 day cancellation
on leave days

Anyway here is the confusing bit and it makes me think that there is a fair possibility she would have been abducted through the unlocked front door(by car park) and transported to that car park

- Completing the internal search of Block 5 - the verandas of access to the apartments - and when outside, the dog turned toward [directed itself to] Block 4. However, at the corner of Block 5, it turned left heading for the path between the building and the leisure area - pools and restaurant - going on to turn left [again], i.e. going around the building, setting out for the main street, crossing the road to the wall of Block 6. There, it sniffed the bottom, turned to the right - going down the road - taking itself to the car park next to Block 6 where its search [took it] to a lamppost where it then became confused and stopped the search. According to the GNR team this situation could be due to the fact that the strongest concentration of smells on that path, due to it being a little more preserved from the wind and "protected" between walls, it being certain that when it arrived at the main street and turned to the right, there was a major dispersal of odours, causing the dog to lose interest in continuing the search.
- The second dog was submitted to the same operation, also showing interest at door of 5J, namely it scratched with it front paws at the veranda parapet and lifted its head to sniff the air to find a scent. As noted above, this interest was conditioned by various things, it being certain that the dog sensed a strong odour in that place and wanted to check that [if] he had found the intended scent there.
- After the first search the two rubbish bags were removed from 5H so that during the second one there was no smell of rubbish, and the [second] dog showed no interest at the door of that apartment.
- Outside, the dog immediately followed the same path as the first, taking itself to the car park next to Block 6 where it also lost interest in the search.
- It is true to say that the dogs effectively showed interest in the above-mentioned apartments, without giving an indication needed to their handler that they had [found] the presence of the trail of the missing child. It is also certain that the course that they made to the car park next to Block 6 was done without hesitation and in a most convincing manner.

Very interesting, anna.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #263 on: December 27, 2013, 11:38:06 PM »
Maybe if discovered it's accidental death from a fall from balcony.
Could be. But how would you explain the scent on the balcony ?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #264 on: December 28, 2013, 12:08:54 AM »
Very interesting, anna.
Even more, perhaps, if you're aware that Rex and Zarus did that route on the 8th of May, around 23:45, i.e 5 days after the disappearance.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #265 on: December 28, 2013, 05:24:21 PM »
Could be. But how would you explain the scent on the balcony ?

My original thought was body hidden in the climbing plant on the wall where Eddie's got his head inside on the balcony. They found branches which I think broke off and fell into the flower bed below where Eddie alerted.

Redblossom

« Reply #266 on: December 28, 2013, 05:50:34 PM »

No

The opposite side of the apartment,below the patio/balcony

AnneGuedes

« Reply #267 on: December 28, 2013, 07:10:23 PM »
My original thought was body hidden in the climbing plant on the wall where Eddie's got his head inside on the balcony. They found branches which I think broke off and fell into the flower bed below where Eddie alerted.
The climbing plant is a bougainvilliers, it's not strong enough to support much weight.

Redblossom

« Reply #268 on: December 28, 2013, 07:16:39 PM »
Eddie made a very strong bark on the verandah......right outside the parents bedroom......??

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #269 on: December 28, 2013, 07:22:21 PM »
The climbing plant is a bougainvilliers, it's not strong enough to support much weight.

There's a wall there inside the climbing plant on the balcony - the body would be on top of the wall or ledge hidden inside the climbing plant. Where Eddie is sniffing below. I could do with finding images of the wall from the balcony bedroom window side which would be helpful.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 07:29:35 PM by pathfinder73 »