Poll

Peer Reviewed Research suggests that Scent Dogs of all types have a maximunm combined accuracy of about 90%

I Understand and Accept this
3 (50%)
I believe Scent Dogs are more accurate than this
1 (16.7%)
I am not sure
1 (16.7%)
I don't believe Scent Dogs generally are that accurate
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 24, 2018, 11:14:43 AM

Author Topic: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy  (Read 237425 times)

Offline barrier

Re: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy
« Reply #420 on: May 11, 2018, 09:03:40 PM »

This particular handler never questions his dog it seems.

The rule was simple: the dog is always right.

Hound of the Brigade: Sherlock the forensic fire dog can sniff out evidence of an arson a year after it happened and wears bespoke bootees so he doesn’t hurt his paws
Cocker Spaniel Sherlock has a 100% success rate in helping investigate fires
His nose can detect the presence of lighter fuel or other inflammatory liquids
The dog has special boots to help him go into areas where their had been fires

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5711397/Sherlock-forensic-fire-dog-sniff-evidence-arson-year-happened.html
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #421 on: May 11, 2018, 11:25:44 PM »
This particular handler never questions his dog it seems.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5711397/Sherlock-forensic-fire-dog-sniff-evidence-arson-year-happened.html
I like this a lot, barrier.  Our Cocker Spaniel is golden red.  Everyone tells us we have got a fruit loop, but if the London fire service can train up a golden red cocker to sniff for accelerents, there is still hope for Gonçalo.

We have been referred to two experts in dog behavioural therapy.  One is a vet in Tavira, right down the other side of the Algarve.   The other, by strange coincidence, is a Professor Gonçalo, in Lisbon.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 08:39:58 AM by ShiningInLuz »
What's up, old man?

Offline barrier

« Reply #422 on: May 12, 2018, 08:07:42 AM »
I like this a lot, barrier.  Our Cocker Spaniel is golden red.  Everyone tells us we have got a fruit loop, but if the London fire service can train up a golden red cocker to sniff for accelerents, there is still hope for Gonçalo.

e have been referred to two experts in dog behavioural therapy.  One is a vet in Tavira, right down the other side of the Algarve.   The other, by strange coincidence, is a Professor Gonçalo, in Lisbon.

Best of luck with him/her.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #423 on: May 12, 2018, 08:47:12 AM »

We have been referred to two experts in dog behavioural therapy.  One is a vet in Tavira, right down the other side of the Algarve.   The other, by strange coincidence, is a Professor Gonçalo, in Lisbon.

You never called your fruit loop dog Goncalo, did you?

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #424 on: May 12, 2018, 09:13:32 AM »
You never called your fruit loop dog Goncalo, did you?
We live in Lagos district.  The patron saint of Lagos, and of Algarve fishermen, is St Gonçalo. The hospital in Lagos is named after St Gonçalo. The school that two of our grandchildren go to in Luz is the College of St Gonçalo.

I wanted a Portuguese name, and one that is not common here. So Gonçalo he is.

Our grandchildren got it straight away.  It takes oldies a little bit longer.
What's up, old man?

Online Eleanor

« Reply #425 on: May 12, 2018, 09:27:00 AM »
We live in Lagos district.  The patron saint of Lagos, and of Algarve fishermen, is St Gonçalo. The hospital in Lagos is named after St Gonçalo. The school that two of our grandchildren go to in Luz is the College of St Gonçalo.

I wanted a Portuguese name, and one that is not common here. So Gonçalo he is.

Our grandchildren got it straight away.  It takes oldies a little bit longer.

I don't have a problem with this, in fact I think it's a really good name for a dog. I might even use it myself next time around, and if it's the year of G in France

Did you know that St Goncalo is also the Saint for haemorrhoid sufferers, but that is by the by.  Somebody has to be.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #426 on: May 12, 2018, 09:42:11 AM »
I don't have a problem with this, in fact I think it's a really good name for a dog. I might even use it myself next time around, and if it's the year of G in France

Did you know that St Goncalo is also the Saint for haemorrhoid sufferers, but that is by the by.  Somebody has to be.

Having done a quick search in a Catholic saints index,  there doesn't appear to be a Saint Goncalo.
There is a Blessed Goncalo with a date of his beatification but no mention of a canonisation.
Perhaps someone can find more information.

ETA.
Found him.
He seems to have been born in Portuguese India.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 09:48:45 AM by Erngath »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #427 on: May 12, 2018, 09:49:46 AM »

Having done a quick search in a Catholic saints index,  there doesn't appear to be a Saint Goncalo.
There is a Blessed Goncalo with a date of his beatification but no mention of a canonisation.
Perhaps someone can find more information.

ETA.
Found him.
He seems to have been born in Portuguese India.

http://www.racjonalista.pl/kk.php/s,2695

Offline Erngath

« Reply #428 on: May 12, 2018, 10:23:40 AM »
http://www.racjonalista.pl/kk.php/s,2695

He is the one who is listed as Blessed in the index, I can't find a canonisation date for him?
Lol. There is a patron saint for every ailment.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #429 on: May 12, 2018, 10:27:29 AM »

There are at least 2 St Gonçalos.  One appears to be the major one, and is popular in Brazil.  The other appears to be the lesser one, and is associated with Lagos.  That's 'our' one.

St Gonçalo of Lagos https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:S%C3%A3o_Gon%C3%A7alo_de_Lagos
What's up, old man?

Offline Erngath

« Reply #430 on: May 12, 2018, 10:41:45 AM »
There are at least 2 St Gonçalos.  One appears to be the major one, and is popular in Brazil.  The other appears to be the lesser one, and is associated with Lagos.  That's 'our' one.

St Gonçalo of Lagos https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:S%C3%A3o_Gon%C3%A7alo_de_Lagos

It's his canonisation date which I cannot find.
He is beatified and listed as Blessed Goncalo in the index of Catholic Saints.

Not canonised though as far as I can find.
All off topic of course.
Apologies.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #431 on: May 12, 2018, 11:05:23 AM »

Thanks for that.

Everyone around here is named after one saint or the other, Marie being the most popular, although Jean Baptiste figures quite a lot.
I personally have named a couple of my dogs after saints, although more by accident than design.

We also have a church dedicated to St Rivalain.  But nobody has ever heard of him anywhere else.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #432 on: May 12, 2018, 11:06:51 AM »

It's his canonisation date which I cannot find.
He is beatified and listed as Blessed Goncalo in the index of Catholic Saints.

Not canonised though as far as I can find.
All off topic of course.
Apologies.

My fault for Off Topic.  But if you can't have a bit of fun on a dull Saturday morning then you might as well give up.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #433 on: May 12, 2018, 11:18:22 AM »
Thanks for that.

Everyone around here is named after one saint or the other, Marie being the most popular, although Jean Baptiste figures quite a lot.
I personally have named a couple of my dogs after saints, although more by accident than design.

We also have a church dedicated to St Rivalain.  But nobody has ever heard of him anywhere else.

I'll be googling him too.

Offline barrier

« Reply #434 on: May 12, 2018, 11:30:02 AM »
My fault for Off Topic.  But if you can't have a bit of fun on a dull Saturday morning then you might as well give up.

Tut,tut,still it got me looking back at the Saint of the village I was raised in. 8(0(*