Author Topic: Exploring the reasons and motivation behind Portuguese re-opening of the case.  (Read 27931 times)

ferryman

If they are worthless ferryman, why have spent much time 'googling' and attacking Martin Grimes ?

Don't take my word for it.

Take Mark Harrison's.

It was he who waited until after both  inspections at villa and gym before issuing PJ personnel with instructions on how to conduct searches in buildings and cars.

And it was Harrison, not me, who disowned UK participation in those searches where Madeleine is known, definitely, never to have been.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

Bottom line is that if the investigation in Portugal had been a success - success as in reaching some kind of definite conclusion -  then the Attorney General would have had no need whatsoever to reopen it.

ferryman

Bottom line is that if the investigation in Portugal had been a success - success as in reaching some kind of definite conclusion -  then the Attorney General would have had no need whatsoever to reopen it.

Fair comment, although I think it's also fair to add that competent investigations can, sometimes, also be inconclusive ...

stephen25000

I think it is a little naive to suggest, if I may say, Stephen, that a case can be solved yay or nay simply by putting out a reward.

If that were a viable method, the criminal justice system would save millions!

So you are saying cases aren't 'solved' by someone informing on another for monetary gain ?

Come on.

Lyall

Fair comment, although I think it's also fair to add that competent investigations can, sometimes, also be inconclusive ...

@)(++(* Very fair of you I must say, ferryman.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

So you are saying cases aren't 'solved' by someone informing on another for monetary gain ?

Come on.

They can be. Some cases are solved like this, but not the majority.

Rewards are not a measure of the competence of an investigation. They are only one tool of many that police or others are using.

stephen25000

Don't take my word for it.

Take Mark Harrison's.

It was he who waited until after both  inspections at villa and gym before issuing PJ personnel with instructions on how to conduct searches in buildings and cars.

And it was Harrison, not me, who disowned UK participation in those searches where Madeleine is known, definitely, never to have been.

Can you say with absolute certainty ferryman that what the dogs indicated was wrong ?

If so, provide proof.

stephen25000

Rewards are not a measure of the competence of an investigation. They are only one tool of many that police or others are using.

Sherlock, I didn't measure the reward in terms of the competence of the initial investigation.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

It's true, Ferryman. I forgot to add that important point.

Nonetheless, the Madeleine case is still to this day listed as 'type of crime unknown'.

We don't know even in broad terms  what may have happened to Madeleine, let alone anything more helpful or specific. It is unfortunate that things did not get further before the initial investigation was closed.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock, I didn't measure the reward in terms of the competence of the initial investigation.

I know.

That would make no sense.

ferryman

I think rewards is a two-edged sword.  No one with relevant information and sincerely motivated to try to solve a crime should need a reward to come forward.

Equally, time-wasters on the make can be motivated by a reward for all the wrong reasons ...

Offline Sherlock Holmes

I think rewards is a two-edged sword.  No one with relevant information and sincerely motivated to try to solve a crime should need a reward to come forward.

Equally, time-wasters on the make can be motivated by a reward for all the wrong reasons ...

Hewlett for example wanted money, and they refused to give him any.

And not everyone with a snippet of information is going to get a million pounds.

Redblossom

I found it incredible that the case was closed at all. In the UK any missing person or murder case remains open and assigned to some responsible person until solved or cleared up. There is no way to close such serious cases so quickly as it seems possible in Portugal.

Hello and welcome to the Madeleine McCann forum

I have to comment that the case was not "closed" but "shelved" pending any new serious/relevant/concrete (sorry, I dont remember the exact phrase used by the AG) evidence to restart the investigation

It is no different to what they do in the UK, active investigations do not run ad infinitum

Eta the PJ had three suspects/persons of interest, the judicial authorities decided not to bring charges, no different to the uk, see here last point number 3, another reason to "close" a case as it were if an investigation has become exhausted

http://content.met.police.uk/Article/What-is-the-investigation-process/1400006933335/tvcwhathappensnext

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:34:22 PM by Redblossom »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

Hello and welcome to the Madeleine McCann forum

I have to comment that the case was not "closed" but "shelved" pending any new serious/relevant/concrete (sorry, I dont remember the exact phrase used by the AG) evidence to restart the investigation

It is no different to what they do in the UK, active investigations do not run ad infinitum

AG now says he has 'new elements of evidence' - whatever that means.

Redblossom

Err Sherlock, think that goes without saying LOL! too funny