Author Topic: Exploring the reasons and motivation behind Portuguese re-opening of the case.  (Read 27933 times)

Offline Sherlock Holmes

Err Sherlock, think that goes without saying LOL! too funny

Not really, Red. If they felt strongly that everything possible had been done to solve the case, then they would not have reopened it. Reopening it is sort of an admission that they did not complete their initial task, isn't it?

Redblossom

Not really, Red. If they felt strongly that everything possible had been done to solve the case, then they would not have reopened it. Reopening it is sort of an admission that they did not complete their initial task, isn't it?

not wanting to split hairs but read your post to which I replied, you said if the case had been a success and had reached a definite conclusion then they wouldn't feel the need to reopen it!! Well, yes, exactly, IF.....
As for not completing the initals task....not all police investigations are able to do so

Estuarine

This is an extract from the archiving report.
Finally, it should be noted that an archiving decision may be a fair decision, although of the possible justice, and, especially, to underline heavily that the archiving of the present files does not equal a definite and irreversible closing of the process. This process, as long as the prescription deadline for the possibly committed crimes does reach its term, and if new evidence that justifies it, appears, can always be reopened, officiously or through the request of an assistant, again ordinate to a final decision of accusation or non accusation.

We have more than one case of an unsolved murder in England at least one going back more than 50 years. I am sure the cops were diligent but could not gather enough evidence to charge any one. I am equally sure they would be immeasurably p****d off were it implied that no result = poor investigation.
I don't believe it is a case of the Portuguese cops having done a lousy job. Sometimes it works out as a no result. In my opinion there is a gradual brainwashing of the public by TV that "The Mountie always gets his man". Unfortunately this is not borne out in real life.

Offline Mr Gray

I think the Portuguese had no option but to open the case under pressure from the UK...I also think that the initial investigation was pathetic with the pj concentrating on the parents when there was all but no evidence against them

Redblossom

I think the Portuguese had no option but to open the case under pressure from the UK...I also think that the initial investigation was pathetic with the pj concentrating on the parents when there was all but no evidence against them

What's pathetic is saying the PJ were concentrating on the parents when they did no such thing...it wasn't until after three months later  the British brought their dogs in and suggested if they alerted it could mean a body had been in the flat and removed were they made suspects, (the PT police had no experience of these type of dogs)  and still, only a month after...

Zzzzzzz

If anything the PJ  treated the mccanns with kid gloves for a long long time..and they shod be grateful for that...that was one of their errors! British police would not have done this, they were lucky the "crime" happened in Portugal

and of course all them translation errors
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 06:46:19 PM by Redblossom »

Offline Mr Gray

What's pathetic is saying the PJ were concentrating on the parents when they did no such thing...it wasn't until after three months later  the British brought their dogs in and suggested if they alerted it could mean a body had been in the flat and removed were they made suspects, (the PT police had no experience of these type of dogs)  and still, only a month after...

Zzzzzzz

If anything the PJ  treated the mccanns with kid gloves for a long long time..and they shod be grateful for that...that was one of their errors! British police would not have done this, they were lucky the "crime" happened in Portugal

you bring up the dogs again...the pj misunderstood the dogs alerts and thought they proved a death in the apt when they didn't...they then concentrated on the parents when there was no evidence against them

can you give me a reason why the pj did not consider abduction when SY now do

Offline Mr Gray

that is a false and absolutely ridiculous statement..obviously you not read the files, then again, I never did think you had, otherwise you wouldn't continuously come across as ignorant lol

the fact is the lead detective wrote a book in which he claimed that the parents were responsible and there was no abductor...he also claims that this was the belief of the all the pj team...you cant have it both ways...so is amaral lying

Estuarine

Did we send a gunboat and anchor it off Lisbon?  Civis Britannicus sum.

Offline Mr Gray

Did we send a gunboat and anchor it off Lisbon?  Civis Britannicus sum.

you seem to have studied the same period of history as I did..palmerston
gce history ..mid sixties..joint matriculation board
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 07:34:50 PM by davel »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

This is an extract from the archiving report.
Finally, it should be noted that an archiving decision may be a fair decision, although of the possible justice, and, especially, to underline heavily that the archiving of the present files does not equal a definite and irreversible closing of the process. This process, as long as the prescription deadline for the possibly committed crimes does reach its term, and if new evidence that justifies it, appears, can always be reopened, officiously or through the request of an assistant, again ordinate to a final decision of accusation or non accusation.

We have more than one case of an unsolved murder in England at least one going back more than 50 years. I am sure the cops were diligent but could not gather enough evidence to charge any one. I am equally sure they would be immeasurably p****d off were it implied that no result = poor investigation.
I don't believe it is a case of the Portuguese cops having done a lousy job. Sometimes it works out as a no result. In my opinion there is a gradual brainwashing of the public by TV that "The Mountie always gets his man". Unfortunately this is not borne out in real life.

I'm not implying Estuarine - and Redblossom - that because the case was closed in Portugal (with the possibility of reopening if new evidence came to light, as you remind us) that meant that the investigation was incompetent.

It is true that there are a lot of unsolved 'mysteries' that have defied investigation.

My initial question was why the case in Portugal was re-opened. Is it, as davel and others suggest, because of pressure from SY and the UK? Can that really be the case? If so, why was it re-opened in Portugal Before  Scotland Yard began their review?  Doesn't that suggest Portugal has reasons of its own for re-opening the case?

Offline Mr Gray

I'm not implying Estuarine - and Redblossom - that because the case was closed in Portugal (with the possibility of reopening if new evidence came to light, as you remind us) that meant that the investigation was incompetent.

It is true that there are a lot of unsolved 'mysteries' that have defied investigation.

My initial question was why the case in Portugal was re-opened. Is it, as davel and others suggest, because of pressure from SY and the UK? Can that really be the case? If so, why was it re-opened in Portugal Before  Scotland Yard began their review?  Doesn't that suggest Portugal has reasons of its own for re-opening the case?

was it re opened before SY began its review

Estuarine

In my opinion the Portuguese review either threw up new material or resulted in a different view being taken of something already archived. I don't buy the international pressure argument. 

Offline Sherlock Holmes

was it re opened before SY began its review

March 2011 Portuguese police began an official review of documents

May 2011 SY

ferryman

Good points and another to add.

Are not the Portuguese authorities pursuing different leads from Scotland Yard?

Offline Mr Gray

In my opinion the Portuguese review either threw up new material or resulted in a different view being taken of something already archived. I don't buy the international pressure argument.

why did the Portuguese decide to review the case  imo it was to save face ...they didn't want to look as though they had been forced into it by SY...and all they came with..it appears is tarctorman