Author Topic: Greek police appeal over mystery blonde girl found living in a Roma camp.  (Read 44365 times)

Offline Sherlock Holmes

Re: Greek police appeal over mystery blonde girl found living in a Roma camp.
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2013, 04:47:47 PM »
Massive  resourses have been used in this case, with many millions spent

...  and six years later we are fed some Enid Blytonesque    "'Kidnapped by Gypsies'  tale   ?

Don't think it's as simple as that, icabod.

If we are going to explore abduction as a possibility in the Madeleine case, then that involves keeping a very open mind as to the actual scenarios under consideration. There are so many reasons why a child would be abducted, and with very little to go on, almost any one of them is a possibility in this case.

That doesn't mean that we claim on no evidence that such and such has happened (like the Daily Mail et al) and go to the wildest possibility first.

But what we can do is explore the theoretical possibilities in order to see if we can construct some kind of hypothesis - a valid and necessary exercise.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2013, 05:03:26 PM »
Don't think it's as simple as that, icabod.

If we are going to explore abduction as a possibility in the Madeleine case, then that involves keeping a very open mind as to the actual scenarios under consideration. There are so many reasons why a child would be abducted, and with very little to go on, almost any one of them is a possibility in this case.

That doesn't mean that we claim on no evidence that such and such has happened (like the Daily Mail et al) and go to the wildest possibility first.

But what we can do is explore the theoretical possibilities in order to see if we can construct some kind of hypothesis - a valid and necessary exercise.
Could you send the oldest of BS Irregulars listing the known cases on the planet of a little child under 5 but above 3 to have been snatched from bed in order to compare the reasons why ?

Cariad

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »
Yes, I don't know if gypsies would have gone as far as to do that.

I don't know how they actually do go about acquiring children (always thought this was a myth, but apparently it isn't). Surely it would be easier to acquire a child from someone who no longer wanted that child, than pay a premium to order an abduction or take part in a risky abduction itself.

Me too. I'm quite uncomfortable with the language being used. I'm happy to be corrected should I be wrong, but until then, I used the terms 'a Roma family have abducted/illegally adopted a child'.

The image of gypsies snatching children is just racist imo.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2013, 05:29:30 PM »

Old irrational fears, at least.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2013, 05:35:32 PM »
Me too. I'm quite uncomfortable with the language being used. I'm happy to be corrected should I be wrong, but until then, I used the terms 'a Roma family have abducted/illegally adopted a child'.

I was also taught that this stereotype of gypsies is racist and wrong, and I feel uncomfortable about it.

But what is the moral and material difference between 'abduction' and 'snatching'?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 05:37:33 PM by Sherlock Holmes »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2013, 05:39:28 PM »
Could you send the oldest of BS Irregulars listing the known cases on the planet of a little child under 5 but above 3 to have been snatched from bed in order to compare the reasons why ?

I believe there are cases worldwide where abductors have entered homes and taken children from their beds whilst the parents are sleeping. Not many of them, but they exist.

icabodcrane

« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2013, 05:44:23 PM »
I believe there are cases worldwide where abductors have entered homes and taken children from their beds whilst the parents are sleeping. Not many of them, but they exist.

Were they gypsies  ?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:10:43 PM by icabodcrane »

Cariad

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2013, 06:09:13 PM »
I was also taught that this stereotype of gypsies is racist and wrong, and I feel uncomfortable about it.

But what is the moral and material difference between 'abduction' and 'snatching'?

Sherlock, I'm absolutely sure that you don't need me to point out that 'snatching' plays up to the stereotype of an evil gypsy whereas the other is the normal word to use in that type of criminal offence.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2013, 06:10:43 PM »
Where they gypsies  ?

As I said above, icabod, it would be more likely for gypsies, if they are involved in missing children cases, to acquire children at a different stage along the child trafficking line.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2013, 06:28:20 PM »
Can you have the European 10 last years ones listed ?
I've never heard of any. There's a British case from bath with mum letting the perpetrator get in.
In fact the only archetypal from bed cases I know are the Kent child and the Lindbergh toddler. But it was shown rapidly that the shutters hadn't been forced in the first case and, recently, that the second was a staged abduction.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:29:52 PM by AnneGuedes »

icabodcrane

« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2013, 06:33:04 PM »
Can you have the European 10 last years ones listed ?
I've never heard of any. There's a British case from bath with mum letting the perpetrator get in.
In fact the only archetypal from bed cases I know are the Kent child and the Lindbergh toddler. But it was shown rapidly that the shutters hadn't been forced in the first case and, recently, that the second was a staged abduction.

I would be very interested to see the  'abducted from bed by a stranger'  statistics too 

AnneGuedes

« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2013, 06:39:50 PM »
Observe that both those famous false abductions weren't only "from bed" but "through window"..

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2013, 06:46:23 PM »
Sherlock, I'm absolutely sure that you don't need me to point out that 'snatching' plays up to the stereotype of an evil gypsy whereas the other is the normal word to use in that type of criminal offence.

Semantics.

So it's racist to say that gypsies 'snatch' children, but acceptable to claim that they 'abduct' them or buy and sell them?

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2013, 06:47:48 PM »
Observe that both those famous false abductions weren't only "from bed" but "through window"..

coincidences as Kate McCann might say.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2013, 06:50:15 PM »
I would be very interested to see the  'abducted from bed by a stranger'  statistics too

what about  the abducted blonde girl from the bed by a stranger whose parents were doctors satistics