Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 530301 times)

Offline slartibartfast

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #1845 on: June 25, 2018, 07:38:09 AM »
You are mistaken.

Please allow me to direct you to an example of a post which actually does not have a caveat ...
"One inescapable point is that the PP could have given arguido status to the McCanns on the basis they were last to see Madeleine alive."  http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=8465.msg470596#msg470596

Well why didn’t you moderate it?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #1846 on: June 25, 2018, 07:40:13 AM »
True, however to be grammatically correct no such caveat attaches to the latter part of the sentence.
"and not done in desperation to apparently extract a confession all else having failed".
In that case opinion is being passed off as fact and you as another Mod are excusing it.

Agreed, there are two parts to the post, the first part is not a bad idea to give them arguido status, second a statement of fact.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1847 on: June 25, 2018, 07:54:43 AM »
Would that be in Portuguese?

Naturalmente.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1848 on: June 25, 2018, 08:13:38 AM »
Could you give me the actual quote from Harrison you are referring to please?

Additionally I consider no inference can be drawn as to whether a human cadaver has previously been in any location without other supporting physical evidence.
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARK_HARRISON.htm

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1849 on: June 25, 2018, 08:55:54 AM »
Never tust the press.
One inescapable point is that the PP could have given arguido status to the McCanns on the basis they were last to see Madeleine alive.
I read that post and considered it an actual undeniable fact, therefore it could be opinion and fact at the same time.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1850 on: June 25, 2018, 10:40:18 AM »
Never tust the press.
One inescapable point is that the PP could have given arguido status to the McCanns on the basis they were last to see Madeleine alive.

It was mentioned as a factor, but it's not clear if that could have been the sole point.

I doubt it, even back then, as arguido status would have set the clock ticking to charge or archive, if there was no further indication other than that the parents were the last known people to have seen her.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1851 on: June 25, 2018, 01:33:44 PM »
It was mentioned as a factor, but it's not clear if that could have been the sole point.
i
I doubt it, even back then, as arguido status would have set the clock ticking to charge or archive, if there was no further indication other than that the parents were the last known people to have seen her.

The time limit starts from the moment the PP opens a file surely and arguido status has no time limit on it.?
The confusion for us arises in not knowing the rules and mechanisms by which the PP may legitimately "move the ranging rod closer".
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1852 on: June 25, 2018, 02:51:23 PM »
The time limit starts from the moment the PP opens a file surely and arguido status has no time limit on it.?
The confusion for us arises in not knowing the rules and mechanisms by which the PP may legitimately "move the ranging rod closer".

According to Joana Morais;

Under the new code, any judicial process starts a countdown on the day that the first arguido is made: after 8 months, with two possible extensions of 3 months each, there has to be a decision to either accuse, or archive the case.

Robert Murat was made an arguido on the 14th of May 2007 - 4 months before the new Penal Process Code was enforced -, and 14 months later, the case was archived, caught in time between two different legal frames.
https://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2009/07/archiving-of-madeleine-mccann-process.html

Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1853 on: June 25, 2018, 05:29:00 PM »
According to Joana Morais;

Under the new code, any judicial process starts a countdown on the day that the first arguido is made: after 8 months, with two possible extensions of 3 months each, there has to be a decision to either accuse, or archive the case.

Robert Murat was made an arguido on the 14th of May 2007 - 4 months before the new Penal Process Code was enforced -, and 14 months later, the case was archived, caught in time between two different legal frames.
https://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2009/07/archiving-of-madeleine-mccann-process.html

So we've had arguidos in this investigation... When does it have to archive

Offline Carana

« Reply #1854 on: June 25, 2018, 05:56:09 PM »

Without hunting back for ages, I'm not sure how long an investigation can stay open if there are no arguidos. Offhand, i'm not even sure that it's specified.

Once there are arguidos, the ball game changes and the clock starts ticking.

That can put quite a stress on both the investigation team and the arguidos themselves. I haven't quite understood the reasoning as to why they have to retain that status (imposed or requested) until a final decision is made.

Offline misty

« Reply #1855 on: June 25, 2018, 07:00:58 PM »
Without hunting back for ages, I'm not sure how long an investigation can stay open if there are no arguidos. Offhand, i'm not even sure that it's specified.

Once there are arguidos, the ball game changes and the clock starts ticking.

That can put quite a stress on both the investigation team and the arguidos themselves. I haven't quite understood the reasoning as to why they have to retain that status (imposed or requested) until a final decision is made.

https://www.ft.com/content/ca71ca96-ae89-11e7-aab9-abaa44b1e130

Former Portuguese PM Jose Sócrates charged with corruption

Peter Wise in Lisbon OCTOBER 11, 2017

snipped
........   The formal charges come almost three years after Mr Sócrates was named as an arguido, or formal suspect, in the case. ...................

After being named a suspect in the case in November 2014, Mr Sócrates was held in jail for nine months under laws that enable investigators to detain suspects in serious cases for long periods without bringing formal charges while they pursue their inquiries. He was released from detention two years ago, but formally charged on Wednesday.

The former prime minister has repeatedly accused state prosecutors of abusing his democratic rights by failing to bring formal charges sooner.
==================================================================

It seems there are exceptions to the rules.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1856 on: June 25, 2018, 08:32:11 PM »
strange system!
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1857 on: June 25, 2018, 09:10:58 PM »
https://www.ft.com/content/ca71ca96-ae89-11e7-aab9-abaa44b1e130

Former Portuguese PM Jose Sócrates charged with corruption

Peter Wise in Lisbon OCTOBER 11, 2017

snipped
........   The formal charges come almost three years after Mr Sócrates was named as an arguido, or formal suspect, in the case. ...................

After being named a suspect in the case in November 2014, Mr Sócrates was held in jail for nine months under laws that enable investigators to detain suspects in serious cases for long periods without bringing formal charges while they pursue their inquiries. He was released from detention two years ago, but formally charged on Wednesday.

The former prime minister has repeatedly accused state prosecutors of abusing his democratic rights by failing to bring formal charges sooner.
==================================================================

It seems there are exceptions to the rules.

I would say it's more likely that we don't have a full understanding of the rules.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #1858 on: June 25, 2018, 09:34:40 PM »
I would say it's more likely that we don't have a full understanding of the rules.

Which will change when we get to see the outcome...
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline misty

« Reply #1859 on: June 25, 2018, 09:53:53 PM »

It would appear the rules are adjusted to suit whichever players are on the field at the time.