Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 530370 times)

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #1860 on: June 25, 2018, 10:22:06 PM »
It would appear the rules are adjusted to suit whichever players are on the field at the time.

Do you have an example of this in practice?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1861 on: June 25, 2018, 10:37:12 PM »
This case.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1862 on: June 25, 2018, 10:42:32 PM »
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1863 on: June 25, 2018, 10:47:34 PM »
OK; delineate then.
The way it was archived under one clause and later reopened, and then even later said it was archived under a different clause.  That is what I understood the case to be.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline misty

« Reply #1864 on: June 25, 2018, 10:58:10 PM »

I thought I'd already cited one in Socrates. Maybe this will help.http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=6455.45

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1865 on: June 25, 2018, 11:20:42 PM »
The way it was archived under one clause and later reopened, and then even later said it was archived under a different clause.  That is what I understood the case to be.

The SC explained in detail a) why it was not incorrect and b) why their response was permissible.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1866 on: June 26, 2018, 12:21:10 AM »
The SC explained in detail a) why it was not incorrect and b) why their response was permissible.
'
Yes OK but aren't they just excuses that allow complaints like this: "the rules are adjusted to suit whichever players are on the field at the time".
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 12:23:47 AM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation

Offline Carana

« Reply #1867 on: June 26, 2018, 04:17:22 AM »
https://www.ft.com/content/ca71ca96-ae89-11e7-aab9-abaa44b1e130

Former Portuguese PM Jose Sócrates charged with corruption

Peter Wise in Lisbon OCTOBER 11, 2017

snipped
........   The formal charges come almost three years after Mr Sócrates was named as an arguido, or formal suspect, in the case. ...................

After being named a suspect in the case in November 2014, Mr Sócrates was held in jail for nine months under laws that enable investigators to detain suspects in serious cases for long periods without bringing formal charges while they pursue their inquiries. He was released from detention two years ago, but formally charged on Wednesday.

The former prime minister has repeatedly accused state prosecutors of abusing his democratic rights by failing to bring formal charges sooner.
==================================================================

It seems there are exceptions to the rules.

http://www.pgdlisboa.pt/leis/lei_mostra_articulado.php?tabela=leis&artigo_id=&nid=199&ficha=201&pagina=&nversao=&so_miolo=

I assume that the link is the latest CPP (which may have changed, yet again, since when he was first made arguido.)

Article 276 is the one we've looked at before (but an earlier version) on how long an inquiry can last without either laying charges or archiving it. The time limit is longer for, e.g., organised crime inquiries, or where there are numerous victims or arguidos.

It also refers to circumstances mentioned in Article 215, which is about how long someone can be held on remand depending on the nature of the crime and its complexity.

If I've understood 276/5, if ILORs have to be sent off and results waited for, the clock stops for up to half of the normal inquiry time.

Even so, 3 years sounds as if they were running somewhat late, but there could be exceptional circumstances of some kind.

ETA: missinng word for clarity: since.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 04:12:35 PM by Carana »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1868 on: June 26, 2018, 04:52:16 AM »
'
Yes OK but aren't they just excuses that allow complaints like this: "the rules are adjusted to suit whichever players are on the field at the time".

I'm constantly surprised how people with no knowledge of how and why something us done in another country can have the effrontery to make disparaging comments.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Carana

« Reply #1869 on: June 26, 2018, 05:17:38 AM »

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1870 on: June 26, 2018, 09:10:57 AM »
I'm constantly surprised how people with no knowledge of how and why something us done in another country can have the effrontery to make disparaging comments.
Well did you read https://www.reuters.com/article/us-portugal-corruption-socrates/portuguese-ex-pm-socrates-indicted-on-corruption-charges-idUSKBN1CG1U5?  That hardly inspires confidence in the system does it.
Moderation

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #1871 on: June 26, 2018, 09:20:42 AM »
Well did you read https://www.reuters.com/article/us-portugal-corruption-socrates/portuguese-ex-pm-socrates-indicted-on-corruption-charges-idUSKBN1CG1U5?  That hardly inspires confidence in the system does it.

Have you seen what has been going on in the USA recently?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1872 on: June 26, 2018, 09:25:58 AM »
Whataboutery.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline jassi

« Reply #1873 on: June 26, 2018, 09:27:28 AM »
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1874 on: June 26, 2018, 09:32:04 AM »
What exactly?
Moderation