Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 530325 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #2070 on: September 29, 2018, 12:36:25 PM »
I should add that interpreting and translating ordinary text is one thing but legalese is a nightmare at the best of times and translating Portuguese legalese into English legalese is the ultimate nightmare but Anne did a remarkable job.
I think we all appreciate  what Anne and others have done to help us gain a better understanding  of the case

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2071 on: September 29, 2018, 02:26:23 PM »
I certainly don't think that... But again the word comprovar has been used not provar.... As in the archiving despatch.
The problems arise when translators put in the own words and change the meaning....I don't see that... Verified proof of innocence... Is anywhere near a correct translation

arquivamento equiparavel a comprovação de inocentacao

means;

archiving comparable to proof of innocence
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2072 on: September 29, 2018, 02:29:58 PM »
arquivamento equiparavel a comprovação de inocentacao

means;

archiving comparable to proof of innocence

So we have moved to comparable.... Why have the used compravaceo rather than provaceo... Can you explain the difference

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2073 on: September 29, 2018, 02:45:52 PM »
So we have moved to comparable.... Why have the used compravaceo rather than provaceo... Can you explain the difference

I know neither of them have anything to do with evidence; evidência
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2074 on: September 29, 2018, 02:48:07 PM »
I know neither of them have anything to do with evidence; evidência

In the archiving report comprovar had been translated as demonstrate innocence... Not prove innocence

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #2075 on: September 29, 2018, 03:22:37 PM »
You wouldn’t have had the translations to correct if Anne hadn’t been so generous with her time John. Your post comes across as rather ungrateful.

With all due respect to those concerned it comes across to me more like hiring Michelangelo to paint the chapel ceiling then bringing in a primary school slap and daub class to suggest improvements.  Or if you prefer the halt leading the blind.
It could be sorted once and for all by davel or John paying good cash money for the transcripts to be translated by an independently verified translator acceptable to both sides. Nah silly idea you’d stand a better   chance of finding Dodo doo doos.
Not that all this dicking about with semantics of language and interpretation will have any effect because
the ECtHR have no powers to overturn any judgement by national courts.
The idea of there miraculously being a retrial is well….check out res judicata.
The whole thing is a dead duck except for the McCanns maybe being awarded a few grand payable by the state of Portugal.
It will not affect Sr Amaral.
Quelle bummer.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2076 on: September 29, 2018, 03:26:09 PM »
In the archiving report comprovar had been translated as demonstrate innocence... Not prove innocence

Please provide cites showing the Portuguese and the English translation of it, because I think you are mistaken.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2077 on: September 29, 2018, 03:32:55 PM »
With all due respect to those concerned it comes across to me more like hiring Michelangelo to paint the chapel ceiling then bringing in a primary school slap and daub class to suggest improvements.  Or if you prefer the halt leading the blind.
It could be sorted once and for all by davel or John paying good cash money for the transcripts to be translated by an independently verified translator acceptable to both sides. Nah silly idea you’d stand a better   chance of finding Dodo doo doos.
Not that all this dicking about with semantics of language and interpretation will have any effect because
The whole thing is a dead duck except for the McCanns maybe being awarded a few grand payable by the state of Portugal.
Quelle bummer.

All in your rather limited opinion... Imo..
The ECHR judgment if favourable.. As I expect... Will have far reaching effects

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #2078 on: September 29, 2018, 03:41:42 PM »

Indeed it will, and sorely in need of.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #2079 on: September 29, 2018, 04:40:24 PM »

I fear it will never reach that stage and has probably been rejected. Seeking to exploit ones human rights after denying those same rights to your child must be the most crass and callous thing I've ever come across.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 04:44:00 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline jassi

« Reply #2080 on: September 29, 2018, 05:00:11 PM »
When it comes down to it, the only opinion that will count is that of the ECHR judges.
Everything else is hot air and wishful thinking.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Brietta

« Reply #2081 on: September 29, 2018, 05:05:22 PM »
Quelle bummer.
Don't knock it until you have tried it :) ... in my opinion any 'restoration' of the type of Portuguese justice which was meted out to Madeleine's parents would be an improvement ... or more likely should never have been started just as a different book should have been written.

I think you are wrong that there will be no knock on effect to Amaral should Kate and Gerry be successful in the European Court of Human Rights ... as I think they may very well be.

In my opinion should Madeleine's parents win their case it will be an internationally public demonstration that in judging one man's 'right' to trample on the rights of others the Portuguese judges have brought their and his native land into disrepute.

No mean feat! and it will probably be a lot simpler to restore the elderly lady's work on that fresco than to restore Portugal's reputation in the eyes of the world if and when the case is found against them.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2082 on: September 29, 2018, 05:56:09 PM »
I fear it will never reach that stage and has probably been rejected. Seeking to exploit ones human rights after denying those same rights to your child must be the most crass and callous thing I've ever come across.
On what grounds do you feel it has been rejected.....have you looked at the criteria ...I don't see anything in the slightest callous in their decision to go to the ECHR...and I'm sure the judges at the ECHR will not agree with you
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 06:06:36 PM by Davel »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2083 on: September 29, 2018, 05:57:38 PM »
When it comes down to it, the only opinion that will count is that of the ECHR judges.
Everything else is hot air and wishful thinking.

That is a perfect response to angelos post.... But by looking at previous cases it's possible to make an informed judgement

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #2084 on: September 29, 2018, 06:03:27 PM »
Sorry, who are you calling crass and callous?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly