Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 530349 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #2745 on: January 24, 2019, 09:03:25 PM »
I think it would be a total own goal if Portugal did not enforce any ECHR judgement... If it's established that amaral a nd the SC of Portugal rode roughshod over the mccanns human rights do posters, really think Portugal would want to make amends or just reinforce what a corupt system their excuse for a justice system is

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2746 on: January 24, 2019, 09:34:34 PM »
I think it would be a total own goal if Portugal did not enforce any ECHR judgement... If it's established that amaral a nd the SC of Portugal rode roughshod over the mccanns human rights do posters, really think Portugal would want to make amends or just reinforce what a corupt system their excuse for a justice system is

I wonder if anyone will apologise for slagging off Amaral and the SC if the ECHR find they have done no wrong?

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline misty

« Reply #2747 on: January 24, 2019, 09:44:22 PM »
I wonder if anyone will apologise for slagging off Amaral and the SC if the ECHR find they have done no wrong?

Portuguese court decisions in the McCanns' favour suggest the justice system couldn't determine conclusively that Amaral did no wrong imo.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2748 on: January 24, 2019, 09:47:33 PM »

I wonder if anyone... Including amaral and the SC of Portugal will apologise if the ECHR rule a violation of the mccanns human rights

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2749 on: January 24, 2019, 09:53:18 PM »
Portuguese court decisions in the McCanns' favour suggest the justice system couldn't determine conclusively that Amaral did no wrong imo.

One first instance judge made a nistake which was corrected by the Appeal Court. The Supreme Court confirmed the decision of the Appeal Court was correct.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2750 on: January 24, 2019, 09:53:34 PM »

Amaral is on record saying he could prove Maddie died in the apartment.. He can't... He us wrong.. His claims are a disgrace imo.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:49:29 PM by John »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2751 on: January 24, 2019, 10:01:29 PM »
One first instance judge made a nistake which was corrected by the Appeal Court. The Supreme Court confirmed the decision of the Appeal Court was correct.

I think the ECHR will confirm their decision was incorrect

Offline misty

« Reply #2752 on: January 24, 2019, 10:28:00 PM »

Did the Pt. court not also ban the book & documentary in 2010? (overturned on appeal)

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2753 on: January 25, 2019, 05:59:00 AM »
Did the Pt. court not also ban the book & documentary in 2010? (overturned on appeal)

Yes, it was overturned on appeal, but in 2015 the first instance judge contradicted the Appeal Court and banned it again. What made her think it would be allowed to stand I can't imagine.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #2754 on: January 25, 2019, 06:48:58 AM »
Yes, it was overturned on appeal, but in 2015 the first instance judge contradicted the Appeal Court and banned it again. What made her think it would be allowed to stand I can't imagine.
That seems odd.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2755 on: January 25, 2019, 07:40:43 AM »
That seems odd.

Perhaps no-one expected Amaral to appeal against her judgement. He wouldn't have been able to without the funds raised by PJGA and Leanne Baulch, of course.
Result = happy posting.

Offline kizzy

« Reply #2756 on: January 25, 2019, 08:26:34 AM »
I wonder if anyone... Including amaral and the SC of Portugal will apologise if the ECHR rule a violation of the mccanns human rights

Why should they - In my opinion the mcns will always be guilty of neglecting maddies human rights by way of absence of her parent's protection.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 01:22:24 PM by John »

Offline barrier

« Reply #2757 on: January 25, 2019, 08:54:28 AM »

Post 2734 suggest's you don't know what they are attempting at the ECHR so what are you on about?

This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #2758 on: January 25, 2019, 06:11:30 PM »
For those who are arguing that the ECHR will bring the McCanns justice, the court ruled that Thompson and Venables, the children who killed James Bulger received an unfair trial and they both received compensation as a result. Do you think justice was delivered in this instance ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline misty

« Reply #2759 on: January 25, 2019, 06:44:57 PM »
For those who are arguing that the ECHR will bring the McCanns justice, the court ruled that Thompson and Venables, the children who killed James Bulger received an unfair trial and they both received compensation as a result. Do you think justice was delivered in this instance ?

IMO justice was served as the 2 11yr old  boys should not have been tried in an adult court, despite the abhorrent nature of their crimes. Current legislation reflects this for 10-17yr olds.

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1999/dec/16/echr-judgment-thompson-and-venables
*snipped*
On article 6(1), the right to a fair trial, the court found that, notwithstanding the special arrangements made to help ensure that the youths could properly participate in the trial process in the Crown Court,

it was highly unlikely that either applicant would have felt sufficiently uninhibited, in the tense court room and under public scrutiny, to have consulted with their legal representatives during the trial or, indeed, that, given their immaturity and disturbed emotional state, they would have been capable outside the court room of co-operating with their lawyers and giving them information for the purpose of their defence". It therefore followed, in the view of the court, that the applicants had been denied a fair hearing in breach of article 6(1).

On the setting of tariffs and their continued review, the court first held that there was a fundamental distinction between the sentence for murder in respect of juveniles and that for murder in respect of adults. As far as the latter—the sentence for adults—was concerned, the European Court, in an earlier judgment on the 1994 Wynne case, had accepted the lawfulness of the mandatory life sentence for adults convicted of murder. It had also accepted as lawful the arrangements for tariff-setting by the Secretary of State.

Today's judgment does not deal with the arrangements for adults who have been, or will be, convicted of murder in the courts in England and Wales. However, in this case, which involves juveniles, the European Court followed a decision by the House of Lords' Appellate Committee of the Privy Council that the setting of the tariffs for juveniles was itself a sentencing exercise. The court added that, as the Home Secretary—who set the applicants' tariffs—was clearly not independent of the Executive, there had been a breach of article 6(1) in respect of the determination of the applicants' tariffs.

On article 5(4), the court held that, because the applicants' tariffs had been decided by the Home Secretary, there had been no judicial supervision incorporated in the initial fixing of their sentences. The court therefore found a violation of article 5(4) based on the lack of any opportunity for the applicants to have the lawfulness of their detention assessed by a judicial body.