Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 530285 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #3045 on: August 25, 2019, 09:43:00 PM »
I suppose 8 years' interest on however much was frozen could  be quite substantial.
I wonder if its been paid yet.

Well if they did the sensible thing they took out insurance. Or, given their confidence in winning, maybe they didn't.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline sadie

« Reply #3046 on: August 25, 2019, 09:49:13 PM »
They took two injunctions in 2009. One was to ban the book; that was dismissed on appeal. They also took out a freezing injunction to stop him spending his money because they wanted it to be there to pay them when they won their case. Rather amusingly, in 2010 Mitchell said;

"Kate and Gerry McCann are due to fly to Lisbon Monday afternoon and plan to attend the full hearing, which starts Tuesday and is expected to last three or four days. A verdict is likely soon after the conclusion, possibly by the end of next week, Mitchell said."
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:kGTerwYbAdUJ:www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/01/11/portugal.britain.madeleine.mccann/index.html+&cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Of course the judgement wasn't delivered until April 2015, and was finally settled by the SC in January 2017. So the asset freezing lasted a long long time; 8 years.

plus

I suppose 8 years' interest on however much was frozen could  be quite substantial.
I wonder if its been paid yet.

Does it sound like they, the Portuguese, are playing the system again?  To make sure that The Mccanns are bankrupted?  To try and make sure that they do not take this case to the ECHR

Let's look back at all the messing about The Mccanns were put through in that Court case.

The one that stands out especially is where the Mccanns were given a special date and then it didn't happen.  I seem to remember that this happened more than once.  There were several instances of them being messed about

And of course it meant flying back and forth from England each time, altering dates with their legal team and arranging for suitable care for their children, more court suitable clean clothes, leave from jobs being re-arranged + other expences and inconveniences that the Portuguese participants didn't suffer.  Also hotels etc.

I really wondered if it was all fixed up before hand tbh.  IMO the messing about was scandalous.

What was the name of the judges etc?  Anyone remember?

I really hope that the ECHR are informed about what happened.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #3047 on: August 25, 2019, 10:08:04 PM »

I expect that Amaral's money was placed in an interest earning account.  I very much doubt that someone's money can be sequestered otherwise.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3048 on: August 25, 2019, 10:15:59 PM »
plus

Does it sound like they, the Portuguese, are playing the system again?  To make sure that The Mccanns are bankrupted?  To try and make sure that they do not take this case to the ECHR

Let's look back at all the messing about The Mccanns were put through in that Court case.

The one that stands out especially is where the Mccanns were given a special date and then it didn't happen.  I seem to remember that this happened more than once.  There were several instances of them being messed about

And of course it meant flying back and forth from England each time, altering dates with their legal team and arranging for suitable care for their children, more court suitable clean clothes, leave from jobs being re-arranged + other expences and inconveniences that the Portuguese participants didn't suffer.  Also hotels etc.

I really wondered if it was all fixed up before hand tbh.  IMO the messing about was scandalous.

What was the name of the judges etc?  Anyone remember?

I really hope that the ECHR are informed about what happened.

Look before you leap is good advice. If they weren't advised of the speed of Portuguese court proceedings they should take it up with their legal representatives. I very much doubt that the ECHR will be interested.
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3049 on: August 25, 2019, 10:17:58 PM »
I expect that Amaral's money was placed in an interest earning account.  I very much doubt that someone's money can be sequestered otherwise.

As I understand it, freezing involves stopping all activity, nothing moves.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #3050 on: August 25, 2019, 10:35:31 PM »
As I understand it, freezing involves stopping all activity, nothing moves.

As you understand it.  But then this what you would wish it to be.

But Amaral's money wasn't frozen.  Merely sequestered.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3051 on: August 25, 2019, 10:40:24 PM »
As you understand it.  But then this what you would wish it to be.

But Amaral's money wasn't frozen.  Merely sequestered.

The difference being?
Result = happy posting.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #3052 on: August 25, 2019, 10:49:07 PM »
The difference being?

If you don't know the difference then you are more stupid than I ever thought you were.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3053 on: August 25, 2019, 11:02:45 PM »
If you don't know the difference then you are more stupid than I ever thought you were.

Is that an ad hom attack by a moderator? Well I never!
Result = happy posting.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #3054 on: August 25, 2019, 11:09:34 PM »
I seem to have lost the ability to communicate with those of you who have different opinions than mine.  Presuming that any of you thought I ever did.

Only time will tell now.

Too many Threads about nothing much at all.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3055 on: August 25, 2019, 11:10:30 PM »
Sequestering;

Bank account impounded on court orders, denying the account holder any access to the account balance without the court's approval.

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/sequestered-account.html

A freezing injunction is a court order which prevents a party from disposing of or dealing with its assets. A freezing injunction is therefore an essential tool for those looking to protect assets to ensure those assets are available to satisfy a court order.

They look very similar, but the injunction has a requester. I believe the McCann's lawyer did apply for a freezing injunction.

Result = happy posting.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #3056 on: August 25, 2019, 11:11:47 PM »
Is that an ad hom attack by a moderator? Well I never!

I thought it was a compliment.  It depends on what you want to see.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3057 on: August 25, 2019, 11:13:04 PM »
I seem to have lost the ability to communicate with those of you who have different opinions than mine.  Presuming that any of you thought I ever did.

Only time will tell now.

Too many Threads about nothing much at all.

I recieved your communication loud and clear, thank you. I'm not quite that stupid.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #3058 on: August 25, 2019, 11:14:00 PM »
I recieved your communication loud and clear, thank you. I'm not quite that stupid.

I never thought that you were.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #3059 on: August 29, 2019, 11:57:35 AM »
The McCann's also raised the points of presumption of innocence and right to reputation

What damage to their reputation?  They left their children alone on a 'family holiday' every evening, while leaving them in  creché etc during the day. One child was apparently abducted by a gang of paedophiles, whilst plying that story they went jogging,blogging and 'celebrity  type photoshoots'. My god do you really believe that behaviour never affected their 'standing' within the community/ country? They were NOT supported by everyone they worked with you know!
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin