Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 530325 times)

Offline Brietta

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #4770 on: January 13, 2023, 06:39:36 PM »
Amaral didn't breach any of the McCann's human rights. All he did was express his opinion, just as the McCann's did.

He did promulgate quite a bit of nonsense about them while expressing opinions about them eagerly expanded upon by the Portuguese media.

'Kate McCann was MI5 spy': Portuguese newspaper makes crazy allegation that missing Madeleine's mother was member of security services
28 April 2019

Snip
A McCan family spokesperson, addressing the claims, said: 'These are absolutely absurd and ridiculous allegations, which Madeleine's parents are certain no one in their right mind would even consider believing.
'It is unmitigated garble and yet more nonsense they are having to endure at a very painful and difficult time for them.'

Disgraced ex-Portuguese police chief Goncalo Amaral, who features heavily in the new Netflix documentary on the Madeleine McCann case, claimed last year MI5 spies helped to cover up her death and disappearance.

Amaral, the original lead investigator in the case before his October 2007 sacking for criticising the British police, said British secret agents 'for sure had an involvement' in an Australian documentary which aired last April.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6968571/Portuguese-newspaper-makes-crazy-claim-missing-Maddies-mother-MI5-spy.html
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline jassi

« Reply #4771 on: January 13, 2023, 07:02:04 PM »
Would this not be better moved to the 'Lets slag Amaral off' thread as it has nothing to do with this ECHR topic ?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #4772 on: January 13, 2023, 07:20:03 PM »
Would this not be better moved to the 'Lets slag Amaral off' thread as it has nothing to do with this ECHR topic ?

You don't have to slag off Amaral if you don't want to.

Offline jassi

« Reply #4773 on: January 13, 2023, 07:29:45 PM »
You don't have to slag off Amaral if you don't want to.

I certainly wouldn't do it on this thread, which in case people have forgotten is about McCann and their ECHR appeal.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #4774 on: January 13, 2023, 07:49:01 PM »
He reappeared when the hope of a final appeal was raised, but obviously the McCanns have finally accepted that they can't win this case.

I was reading the Appeal Court judgement which overturned the injunction in October 2010. It was interesting to see that it mentioned things that were later repeated by both the Supreme Court judges and those of the ECHR. Things such as the fact that TOTL was based on the PJ files, and that the McCanns had limited their right to privacy by making use of the media. An interesting read.
http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/court_docs.htm

I read back some of the posts on the start of this thread out of curiosity today, & alas, the likes of poor AlicePurjorick & stephen were still around way back when.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4775 on: January 13, 2023, 07:53:31 PM »
He did promulgate quite a bit of nonsense about them while expressing opinions about them eagerly expanded upon by the Portuguese media.

'Kate McCann was MI5 spy': Portuguese newspaper makes crazy allegation that missing Madeleine's mother was member of security services
28 April 2019

Snip
A McCan family spokesperson, addressing the claims, said: 'These are absolutely absurd and ridiculous allegations, which Madeleine's parents are certain no one in their right mind would even consider believing.
'It is unmitigated garble and yet more nonsense they are having to endure at a very painful and difficult time for them.'

Disgraced ex-Portuguese police chief Goncalo Amaral, who features heavily in the new Netflix documentary on the Madeleine McCann case, claimed last year MI5 spies helped to cover up her death and disappearance.

Amaral, the original lead investigator in the case before his October 2007 sacking for criticising the British police, said British secret agents 'for sure had an involvement' in an Australian documentary which aired last April.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6968571/Portuguese-newspaper-makes-crazy-claim-missing-Maddies-mother-MI5-spy.html

This didn't feature in their doomed case against Amaral did it?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline misty

« Reply #4776 on: January 13, 2023, 09:47:22 PM »
On reflection, I think the McCanns have achieved their goal of keeping Madeleine's case in the public eye, despite their ultimate failure in ECHR. When they initiated the court action I doubt anyone would have believed just how protracted it would become.
IMO the McCanns perhaps took the harder route of making their case more about Madeleine and the harm they perceived Amaral's book was causing the search as opposed to a concentrated libel claim regarding all the slurs and insinuations against themselves. The former justified payment for legal expenses from the OFM Fund, the latter wouldn't have.
Assuming Brueckner is convicted of murdering Madeleine, the ECHR judgement will not bode well for either Amaral or Portuguese State imo. Their justice system, backed by the the administrative authorities, has allowed Amaral to be very vocal in various media during the last 14yrs, without restraint, about his belief the McCanns are criminally culpable. A Brueckner conviction will not sit well with the Portuguese public.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #4777 on: January 14, 2023, 12:27:03 AM »
On reflection, I think the McCanns have achieved their goal of keeping Madeleine's case in the public eye, despite their ultimate failure in ECHR. When they initiated the court action I doubt anyone would have believed just how protracted it would become.
IMO the McCanns perhaps took the harder route of making their case more about Madeleine and the harm they perceived Amaral's book was causing the search as opposed to a concentrated libel claim regarding all the slurs and insinuations against themselves. The former justified payment for legal expenses from the OFM Fund, the latter wouldn't have.
Assuming Brueckner is convicted of murdering Madeleine, the ECHR judgement will not bode well for either Amaral or Portuguese State imo. Their justice system, backed by the the administrative authorities, has allowed Amaral to be very vocal in various media during the last 14yrs, without restraint, about his belief the McCanns are criminally culpable. A Brueckner conviction will not sit well with the Portuguese public.

At this moment in time I think the “victory” is a Pyrrhic one as much for Amaral as it has been for the McCanns.  It is a course of action they had no choice but to take if they were to keep Madeleine’s case in the public eye.

Indeed as you have pointed out, who could have envisaged it taking up so much precious time. Particularly bearing in mind that when the McCanns were forced to institute legal action, they were the only ones actively looking for Madeleine and they were fiercely fighting her corner against the negativity engendered by Amaral.
“Gerry has been quoted as saying: 'I'm sure it's a very small minority of people who spend their time doing it, but it has totally inhibited what we do.' ”
At that stage Amaral had written the first of his books, had taken part in his first documentary based on his book, had a media career forged on accusing Madeleine’s parents of criminality which continues even today.

But the McCanns proved their point and did the impossible of getting Madeleine's case opened.  That is some feat and some victory in the face of the "inhibitions" visited on them.

I think that already the genie is out of the bottle as far as the turn events have taken and I think that even if Brueckner’s saga as far as Madeleine’s disappearance is concerned never sees the inside of a courtroom, the genie will stay out as far as the Portuguese people are concerned.

Proud Portuguese institutions have been found wanting as the people have watched the example before them and I think there are those whose high popularity ratings might take a tumble as a direct result.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4778 on: January 14, 2023, 08:35:45 AM »

Thanks Misty. Now I know why Kate McCann has repeated endlessly that Amaral's book harmed the search for Madeleine. Even though it wasn't true, it justifies using Madeleine's Fund.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #4779 on: January 14, 2023, 08:49:03 AM »
Thanks Misty. Now I know why Kate McCann has repeated endlessly that Amaral's book harmed the search for Madeleine. Even though it wasn't true, it justifies using Madeleine's Fund.

Cherry Picking.  Again.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4780 on: January 14, 2023, 09:12:58 AM »
Cherry Picking.  Again.

Or noticing something which explains why a statement which couldn't be proved to be true in 2015 is still being repeated.
Result = happy posting.

Offline barrier

« Reply #4781 on: January 14, 2023, 09:26:41 AM »
I read back some of the posts on the start of this thread out of curiosity today, & alas, the likes of poor AlicePurjorick & stephen were still around way back when.

Quite a few have moved or passed on.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 09:28:59 AM by barrier »
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline barrier

« Reply #4782 on: January 14, 2023, 09:28:17 AM »
Never assume it makes an ass out of you and me, now what if CB is not convicted then the opposite has to be true.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4783 on: January 14, 2023, 09:34:34 AM »
You are using Misty's opinion to try and establish something as a fact, when it is only opinion.  Moreover, you are twisting Misty's words to suggest that the parents deliberately promulgated a falsehood in order to access fund money.  That strikes me as libellous and just a little bit goady.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline jassi

« Reply #4784 on: January 14, 2023, 09:36:10 AM »
As I understand it the various stages of the civil  court case were fought over points of law, not who was guilty or not guilty of a criminal act.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 09:38:13 AM by jassi »

Or maybe not -