Author Topic: Luke Mitchell Theories  (Read 98657 times)

Offline Nicholas

Re: Luke Mitchell Theories
« Reply #330 on: December 02, 2019, 02:59:03 PM »
Standing outside the court yesterday, Mr O'Brien, said: "I have got mixed feelings. I am pleased that my name has been cleared but I also feel for the victim's family. We know who the real killer is - his name has been mentioned in court. It is up to the police to arrest him."[/i]
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/court-frees-three-over-killing-of-newsagent-739755.html

Michael O’brien made the above public comment in December 1999

Fast forward to September 2008 where he claims:

“I don’t know who killed Mr Saunders, but I certainly have my suspicions about a man who has a violent past, and who once told me in the street that I couldn’t prove anything. I would like the police to pursue that line of inquiry.”

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/obrien-not-guilty-says-lie-2150029.amp?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar&__twitter_impression=true
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #331 on: December 04, 2019, 12:41:46 AM »

“I don’t know who killed Mr Saunders, but I certainly have my suspicions about a man who has a violent past, and who once told me in the street that I couldn’t prove anything. I would like the police to pursue that line of inquiry.”

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/obrien-not-guilty-says-lie-2150029.amp?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar&__twitter_impression=true

“O'Brien used the talk to make the point that the person who killed Saunders is still at large and that the people who have suffered most in the whole sorry affair are the newsagent's relatives and friends. He has offered £50,000 from his compensation package as a reward that might lead to the real killer – and he has his own theory as to who that might be, as the Hay audience heard.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/28/michael-obrien-philip-saunders-cardiff-newsagent-three
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 01:11:38 AM by Nicholas »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #332 on: December 04, 2019, 01:04:24 AM »

“Following a lengthy campaign backed by politicians and the human rights group Liberty, the Court of Appeal quashed the convictions of Mr O’Brien, Ellis Sherwood and Darren Hall. South Wales Police was strongly criticised for its handling of the case, and two years ago agreed to pay Mr O’Brien £300,000 in an out-of-court settlement of a civil case he was bringing against the force for malicious prosecution.

Yet he has never received an apology, and as recently as 2006 his ex-wife and sister-in-law were questioned on suspicion of receiving money stolen from Mr Saunders when he was murdered.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #333 on: December 04, 2019, 01:13:30 AM »
“Following a lengthy campaign backed by politicians and the human rights group Liberty, the Court of Appeal quashed the convictions of Mr O’Brien, Ellis Sherwood and Darren Hall. South Wales Police was strongly criticised for its handling of the case, and two years ago agreed to pay Mr O’Brien £300,000 in an out-of-court settlement of a civil case he was bringing against the force for malicious prosecution.

Yet he has never received an apology, and as recently as 2006 his ex-wife and sister-in-law were questioned on suspicion of receiving money stolen from Mr Saunders when he was murdered.

“Update 3 December: The male and female, arrested on 1 December 2010 for alleged offences of perjury and perverting the course of justice at the criminal trial in 1988 relating to the murder of Phillip Saunders, have been released on bail while enquiries continue. They will return to a police station at a later date.
https://www.theguardian.com/cardiff/2010/dec/01/cardiff-arrests-in-connection-with-canton-murder

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #334 on: December 04, 2019, 01:21:09 AM »
Following Simon Halls confession Dr Michael Naughton claimed,

“We are not shocked - we are alive to the possibility that a lot of people who say they are innocent are not.”

Who are the “lot of people” referred to by Dr Naughton?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-23630287

“The Commission’s referral is based in part on new evidence that a number of officers from South Wales Police who were involved in the Lynette White murder inquiry (the Cardiff Three case), and the Philip Saunders murder inquiry[3] (the Cardiff Newsagent Three case), were also involved in Mr Charlton’s case and may have used investigative techniques similar to those used in the Lynette White and Philip Saunders cases and which contributed to the quashing of the convictions in those cases.
https://ccrc.gov.uk/commission-refers-the-murder-conviction-of-alan-charlton-to-the-court-of-appeal/

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #335 on: December 04, 2019, 01:24:54 AM »
“The Commission’s referral is based in part on new evidence that a number of officers from South Wales Police who were involved in the Lynette White murder inquiry (the Cardiff Three case), and the Philip Saunders murder inquiry[3] (the Cardiff Newsagent Three case), were also involved in Mr Charlton’s case and may have used investigative techniques similar to those used in the Lynette White and Philip Saunders cases and which contributed to the quashing of the convictions in those cases.
https://ccrc.gov.uk/commission-refers-the-murder-conviction-of-alan-charlton-to-the-court-of-appeal/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-26351930

Offline Nicholas

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #337 on: December 05, 2019, 03:14:29 PM »
Read here http://www.2bedfordrow.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/R-v-Alan-Charlton-and-Idris-Ali.pdf what the CoA judges said about the CCRC’s submissions

Taken from the above Judgement

CCRC review of the convictions of Charlton and Ali

63. The CCRC carried out an extremely thorough review of the three police inquiries, in particular the police inquiry into KP’s murder. We do not intend to rehearse the reports’ conclusions in their entirety; we shall focus on the material gathered that is said to undermine the safety of these convictions. We should emphasise, however, that we have read both reports with very considerable care. If we do not mention something that the CCRC considered potentially relevant to these appeals, it is because, with the assistance of counsel, we have determined that the matter is not, in fact, relevant to these appeals.

64. The CCRC analysed the extent to which there was any crossover between the evidence gathering process in this case and the investigations into the murders of Lynette White and Philip Saunders. CCRC concluded “it is possible to demonstrate a significant co-relation” between the way three inquiries conducted and that there is “a significant risk that the (police) practices demonstrable in the Lynette White and Philip Saunders inquiries occurred also during the Karen Price inquiry”.

65. The CCRC noted that at the time of the investigation into Karen Price’s murder the tactics that had been employed by officers in the Lynette White and Philip Saunders inquiries had not been properly scrutinised. The involvement of some of the same officers in the Karen Price murder inquiry is, the Commission considered, potentially suggestive of a “closed-minded” investigation which, ultimately, leads to the very real possibility that evidence given by various witnesses, both at trial and at crucial stages during the course of the investigation, was falsified and obtained through the use of oppressive techniques and bullying.

66. They categorised officers centrally involved in the KP inquiry and criticised in the Saunders or White inquiries as ‘Category A’ officers. Officers involved in the other inquiries and in the KP inquiry but not criticised have been categorised as ‘Category B’ officers.

67. Category A officers involved in both investigations were DI (acting DCI) Lewis, DI Mouncher, DS Rogers, DS Fenton, DC Cullen, DC Hodgson, DC Norman, DC Thomas and DC Griffiths. In particular, the CCRC describe DI Lewis as the officer in the case in both the Karen Price and Phillip Saunders investigations and subject to criticism by this court in the O’Brien appeals. DI Mouncher was the senior officer allegedly behind the “fictitious Lynette White murder scenario” and was also “centrally involved” in the KP murder inquiry at the crucial time. Essentially, it is said he spoke to potential witnesses “off the record”, was behind the case theory that Charlton was guilty, conducted research into D’s background and according to his desk diary spoke to her “off the record” for fifteen minutes at 15.30 on 23 February 1990 before her arrest. DS Rogers was centrally involved in the Saunders inquiry. He was accused of taking false evidence from witnesses, interviewing a witness “off the record” immediately before he provided an incriminating statement and, with DI Lewis, pressurising a witness to change her evidence.

68. The CCRC lists and considers the role of a number of other officers who were involved in the other two inquiries (and accused of improper conduct, for example putting pressure on witnesses) who were also involved in the KP investigation. They include DC Cullen. DC Cullen took statements from witnesses including Morris. Morris alleged that DC Cullen pressurised her into making a statement incriminating O’Brien and others. This was robustly denied by DC Cullen herself. DC Cullen, with DC Taylor (neither category A or B), were responsible for the lengthy interviews of D that feature so prominently in this case.

69. The CCRC gave a number of examples of what they considered parallels from the Saunders and White inquiries and the KP investigation. They include:
i) The extensive questioning of D as a voluntary witness and what allegedly happened to Chick and Morris in the Phillip Saunders investigation.
ii) The uncertainty as to the time when D was picked up on the morning of 23 February 1990 with the similar imprecision as to times of detention in the Phillip Saunders case.
iii) The obtaining of a cell confession from Philip Ashong and Aquilina (not used) against Charlton and the alleged cell confessions by Hall and Sherwood.
iv) The treatment of D as a witness and Jack Ellis in the Lynette White investigation. Mr Ellis has complained subsequently of his being interviewed repeatedly when tired and of being put under intolerable pressure.
v) The involvement of DC Cullen who interviewed D (with DC Taylor) both before and after her arrest and took her third incriminating statement from her and DC Cullen’s involvement in the Saunders murder inquiry.

70. The CCRC note that some of the original handwritten exhibits in the O’Brien prosecution had disappeared, as have the handwritten originals of D’s critical third statement. Other documents are no longer available, for example, contemporaneous notes from pocket books as to the treatment of D before she was arrested. The only note in relation to this period of time is the one in Mouncher’s desk diary of an “off the record” conversation with her shortly before her arrest.

71. Ultimately, the CCRC concluded “it is possible to speculate” the investigating officers in the KP inquiry were ‘infected’ by the prevalent culture in the murder squad and may have behaved inappropriately towards witnesses in ways that cannot now be discovered.

72. The CCRC believe that the material from the other investigations now available could have been the basis for an abuse of process application to stay the proceedings. At the very least it could have been used to undermine the credibility of the witnesses. Further, they suggest that Ali’s evidence was so prejudicial to Charlton it should have been excluded from the trial and that just as the inadmissibility of the Hall confessions adversely affected the trial of his co-defendants, O’Brien and Sherwood, so the inadmissibility of Ali’s confessions adversely affected Charlton’s conviction.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #338 on: December 06, 2019, 12:04:13 AM »
Don’t know how long Michael O’Brien will remain the CCRC’s ‘poster boy’ as he’s now calling for its abolishment.

Mr O’Brien also said that the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC) - the statutory body responsible for investigating alleged miscarriages of justice in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland - should be abolished.”

And has even set up a petition https://www.change.org/p/102-petty-france-london-sw1h-9aj-united-kingdom-abolish-the-criminal-cases-review-commission?recruiter=35044305&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=Search%3ESAP%3EUK%3ENonBrand%3EExact&recruited_by_id=e45e0660-0595-0130-da23-40401bfb750c

jixy

« Reply #339 on: December 06, 2019, 07:24:56 AM »
A graffiti artist writes rubbish where it doesnt belong and most people try to ignore. Luke Mitchell theories???

Offline Nicholas

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #341 on: December 06, 2019, 09:59:30 AM »
Luke Mitchell theories???

No amount of spinning and weaving of the facts of this case will make any difference to Luke Mitchell. He revealed his true colours to all of those around him early on in this case.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #342 on: December 11, 2019, 05:32:19 PM »
leading lights in the miscarriages world” (ie: David Jessel, Campbell Malone, Michael Mansfield)

DAVID JESSEL says: September 9, 2013 at 9:22 am
My CCRC friends tell me that this just shows how ‘unsafety’ rather than innocence should be the criterion. I’ve never bought that. Such a view simply entrenches that bloodless tendency which reduces injustice to the formulaic, tick box exercise so comfortable for lawyers (one extremely grand lawyer believed the CCRC should be ‘the anteroom to the Court of Appeal’) I wanted to refer Simon Hall because I believed (wrongly) that he didn’t do it. I know it’s not very lawyerly, but I’m rather less interested in giving the guilty a get-out-of-jail-free card.

Ralph was the first investigations adviser at the CCRC”

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Ly-7BAAAQBAJ&pg=PA236&lpg=PA236&dq=jon+robins+miscarriages+of+justice+thesis&source=bl&ots=0KerOM9Qkj&sig=ACfU3U3i7tBDel_iI8cHq-TNOkq7EVdVlQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiH2qTombfjAhWHLsAKHbenBgo4ChDoATALegQICRAB#v=onepage&q=jon%20robins%20miscarriages%20of%20justice%20thesis&f=false

How many cases did “Ralph” investigate whilst he was at the CCRC and what cases were they?

He played a major role in many of the Commissions best-known cases”

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #343 on: December 11, 2019, 05:44:01 PM »
How many cases did “Ralph” investigate whilst he was at the CCRC and what cases were they?

He played a major role in many of the Commissions best-known cases”

From Jon Robins book, ‘The First Miscarriage of Justice’ (Link above)

Ralph was the first investigations adviser at the CCRC”

What cases was ‘Ralph’ involved in and were the ‘Commissions best-known case’s’ based on factual innocence or technicalities?

‘Ralph’ was apparently “former head of Essex CID”

Jon Robins states, “I was commissioning a collection of essays called ‘Wrongly Accused: who is responsible for investigating miscarriages of justice?’ It featured contributions from leading lights in the miscarriage world - investigative journalists such as David Jessel, lawyers like Michael Mansfield QC and Campbell Malone, academics and campaigners. I was keen to have a strong CCRC perspective, and it was suggested I make contact with Ralph who had stepped down from the CCRC after 13 years service in 2011 at the age of 67.

The ‘essays’ can be read here https://strathprints.strath.ac.uk/40223/1/SJ_Miscarriages_of_Justice_LOW_RES.pdf and Ralph Barringtons ‘Up for the job’ can be found on page 34
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 06:55:18 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #344 on: December 16, 2019, 05:50:58 PM »
Will be interesting to learn if the six other families” who “are immediately affected” were contacted “as a matter of courtesy”

Sandra Lean today claims here: http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,9986.msg456210.html#msg456210
I made a mistake 12 years ago - I've put my hands up to that, I've withdrawn the book and I've publicly apologised.”

Is the “mistake 12 years ago” to which she refers to above in relation to having written Stephen Kelly as opposed to Leonard Kelly?

Excerpt from No Smoke by Sandra Lean
Several witnesses were identified as having been on the path at the critical time that evening. In total there were a minimum of five – John [Name removed], Gordon [Name removed], his father, David [Name removed], Stephen Kelly, a witness who claimed to have heard a disturbance behind the wall, and the "mystery man" seen following Jodi onto the path.
http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,9986.msg456199.html#msg456199

Sandra Lean claims here:http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,9986.msg456199.html#msg456199
I apologise for any confusion - No Smoke was published more than 12 years ago, before I had access to all of the case papers and I haven't read it/referenced it for many years. The book was based largely on court transcripts, which were all I had at the time. I've contacted the publisher today to ask for the book to be withdrawn.

“The reference to Stephen Kelly is clearly a typo, since the sentence goes on to describe him as "a witness who claimed to have heard a disturbance behind the wall."
http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,9986.msg456199.html#msg456199

The book was based largely on court transcripts, which were all I had at the time.”

Court transcripts for what case?

Sandra Lean claims today: “l would like to stress that it was not, and never has been, my intention to mislead. The two errors cited here are simply that - errors which were not picked up at the editing stage[/i].

How does

the book was based largely on court transcripts, which were all I had at the time

fit with

the two errors cited here are simply that - errors which were not picked up at the editing stage?”

Reminds me of word salad

The term word salad refers to a random words or phrases linked together in an often unintelligible manner. Often, a listener is unable to understand the meaning or purpose of the phrase

What ‘court transcripts’ did Sandra Lean have for the Simon Hall case?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 07:58:07 PM by Nicholas »