Author Topic: Wandering off topic.  (Read 18505 times)

Offline Holly Goodhead

Re: Wandering off topic.
« Reply #150 on: May 15, 2020, 02:22:21 PM »

How can you compare Neanderthal times with the 21st century?

It’s two entirely different worlds.

Are you suggesting we should revert back to living like they did in the Stone ages?

Are you suggesting some today don't live like Neanderthals?

Anthropology isn't just about how humans lived years ago. 
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #151 on: May 15, 2020, 02:24:35 PM »
So?

My best friend’s father dies too, and he also lectures.

I find anthropology extremely interesting, but it isn’t a science.

So?

Society requires a broad range of skills and knowledge to function. 
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #152 on: May 15, 2020, 02:25:08 PM »

Some people might describe Bamber’s behaviour as ‘Neanderthal’
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2020, 02:26:28 PM »
So?

Society requires a broad range of skills and knowledge to function.

Does society require ‘Neanderthals’ like Bamber?
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline ISpyWithMyEye

« Reply #154 on: May 15, 2020, 02:34:28 PM »
Yes.  Maths for research and stats.  Chemistry in terms of the brain, hormones, nervous system.

There’s a huge difference between researching statistics for psychology to being an Applied Mathematician who uses
techniques, such as mathematical modelling and computational methods to formulate and solve practical problems in business, government, engineering, and the physical life.  They have to analyse the most efficient way to schedule airline routes, the aerodynamic characteristics of an experimental automobile, the cost-effectiveness of alternative manufacturing processes...the effects and safety of new drugs..

They also work in industrial research and development where they develop mathematical methods when solving a difficult problem. Some mathematicians — called cryptanalysts — analyse and decipher encryption system & code designed to transmit military, political, financial, law enforcement etc...

Applied mathematicians start with a practical problem, envision its separate elements, and then reduce the elements to mathematical variables. They often use computers to analyse relationships among the variables, and they solve complex problems by developing models with alternative solutions.

I don’t see how looking up or researching statistics can be classed as needing vast knowledge in mathematics...

As an aside, my maths isn’t the best, but it’s been good enough for me to learn to fly both single and twin engine aircraft and fly myself cross country, and over the channel to France, Jersey etc...but I couldn’t possibly envisage learning how to be a cryptanalyst mathematician 😌
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:43:38 PM by Ispywithmybigeye »
Seeking Justice for June & Nevill Bamber, Sheila Caffell & her two six-year-old twin boys who were shot dead in their heads by Psychopath, JEREMY BAMBER who must NEVER be released.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #155 on: May 15, 2020, 02:51:27 PM »

There’s a huge difference between researching statistics for psychology to being an Applied Mathematician who uses
techniques, such as mathematical modelling and computational methods to formulate and solve practical problems in business, government, engineering, and the physical life.  They have to analyse the most efficient way to schedule airline routes, the aerodynamic characteristics of an experimental automobile, the cost-effectiveness of alternative manufacturing processes...the effects and safety of new drugs..

They also work in industrial research and development where they develop mathematical methods when solving a difficult problem. Some mathematicians — called cryptanalysts — analyse and decipher encryption system & code designed to transmit military, political, financial, law enforcement etc...

Applied mathematicians start with a practical problem, envision its separate elements, and then reduce the elements to mathematical variables. They often use computers to analyse relationships among the variables, and they solve complex problems by developing models with alternative solutions.

I don’t see how looking up or researching statistics can be classed as needing vast knowledge in mathematics...

As an aside, my maths isn’t the best, but it’s been good enough for me to learn to fly both single and twin engine aircraft and fly myself cross country, and over the channel to France, Jersey etc...but I couldn’t possibly envisage learning how to be a cryptanalyst mathematician 😌

I didn't say you need to be a mathematician or statistician but if you don't have reasonable maths skills at say A level standard you would struggle somewhat and/or have to compensate in other areas.

Offline ISpyWithMyEye

« Reply #156 on: May 15, 2020, 02:51:31 PM »

Anthropology isn't just about how humans lived years ago.

If there are people who live like Neanderthals they’re not in my neck of the woods...

I do know, though, that Neanderthals, for all their lack of knowledge & basic tools, they seemed to have a certain sense of social acceptability which must come naturally. For example, they didn’t smear their bodies in faeces when they got angry and sit around in it for days...
Seeking Justice for June & Nevill Bamber, Sheila Caffell & her two six-year-old twin boys who were shot dead in their heads by Psychopath, JEREMY BAMBER who must NEVER be released.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2020, 02:53:01 PM »

If there are people who live like Neanderthals they’re not in my neck of the woods...

I do know, though, that Neanderthals, for all their lack of knowledge & basic tools, they seemed to have a certain sense of social acceptability which must come naturally. For example, they didn’t smear their bodies in faeces when they got angry and sit around in it for days...

But Neanderthals were not caged.

Offline ISpyWithMyEye

« Reply #158 on: May 15, 2020, 02:58:42 PM »
I didn't say you need to be a mathematician or statistician but if you don't have reasonable maths skills at say A level standard you would struggle somewhat and/or have to compensate in other areas.

I have OK math skills, but it was my weakest point at school and I don’t mind admitting it. Of course I can do basic/average mathematics but I never even tried to take maths as I was pretty hopeless, and actually hated it — on reflection I think I was too lazy to bother. Sounds embarrassing, but it’s the truth. It’s never held me back, though.

Besides, we have calculators now, and as I don’t need how to work out what XY+2m\0.05+.2 is Im not fussed! ^*&&

Offline ISpyWithMyEye

« Reply #159 on: May 15, 2020, 03:01:01 PM »
I agree with your last point Spy, after my degree, I had a career in IT, not psychology. However, I think you should remove the word 'simply' from your comment on degree's. There is nothing 'simple' about it.

You’re right, Caroline...I shouldn’t have used the word “simply” — I tend to do that by habit.

I’ve changed it now 😊

Offline ISpyWithMyEye

« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2020, 03:04:26 PM »
There's nothing simple about A levels either and to get into Russell Group unis today you need the A levels for most courses.

Actually, many A levels can be more difficult to pass than some degrees.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2020, 03:09:50 PM »

Your understanding of statistics is sparse. They aren't looked up or researched, they are a branch of mathematics.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline ISpyWithMyEye

« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2020, 03:10:26 PM »
But Neanderthals were not caged.

That’s because they were homosapiens with inbred natural instincts not to kill others...

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2020, 03:15:38 PM »
I have OK math skills, but it was my weakest point at school and I don’t mind admitting it. Of course I can do basic/average mathematics but I never even tried to take maths as I was pretty hopeless, and actually hated it — on reflection I think I was too lazy to bother. Sounds embarrassing, but it’s the truth. It’s never held me back, though.

Besides, we have calculators now, and as I don’t need how to work out what XY+2m\0.05+.2 is Im not fussed! ^*&&

I always say maths as opposed to math as it sounds somewhat short tounged!  I think it's about getting the basics right and building on it.  I don't know if I could apply myself to advance maths because I haven't tried and don't have the inclination.  Some people have a natural aptitude for it.

Offline ISpyWithMyEye

« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2020, 03:15:43 PM »
Your understanding of statistics is sparse. They aren't looked up or researched, they are a branch of mathematics.

Do you think I don’t know what statistics are and how they’re formed?

Despite not being partial to mathematics even I could form statistics!

And statistics DO come from research: how else can a mathematicians, say, work out what percentage of the population is of ethnic minority? They need the figures to work it out. And the only way to get those figures is by research.