Author Topic: Why was Yvonne Martin's offer of help dismissed so readily?  (Read 22791 times)

Online Eleanor

Re: Why was Yvonne Martin's offer of help dismissed so readily?
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2018, 04:51:50 PM »
It probably was Len Port.    I was thinking of this from Yvonne Martins statement -

Meanwhile a fourth individual came towards the group and identified himself as a journalist. The witness alerted the couple to the type of statements they should give and that it would be better for them to keep silent.

After he said this,  they went off discuss what he had said and then decided not to say anymore to Yvonee Martin.  So it was the journalists advice that caused them not to speak to Yvonne Martin.

Good Find, Lace.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2018, 05:36:26 PM »
Good Find, Lace.

The only other people in sight were two women in conversation close to a corner ground floor apartment, 5A. As I approached, I noticed that one of them was clearly distressed, so much so I guessed she must be the missing girl's mother, Kate McCann. Later I learned that the other woman was a senior social worker on holiday from England. I overheard Mrs McCann tell her the police were "doing nothing" to find her daughter. She complained that they had not even questioned people staying in the same block of apartments. I understood the social worker to suggest that a description of the missing child should be circulated more widely. That prompted me to introduce myself as an Algarve-based reporter and say that I could use contacts to arrange alerts to be broadcast on an Algarve bilingual radio station. It had flashed through my mind that such alerts had been broadcast when Rachel Charles was reported missing in the Algarve 17 years earlier. The social worker then mentioned the British Consulate. I said I could help there too as I knew the staff at the Consulate and had just spoken to one of them on the phone. Perhaps my offer sounded disingenuous coming from a total stranger and a reporter to boot. Anyway, it was ignored.
http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/press/86june14/LenPort_June2014.htm
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=10363.msg502209#msg502209

I think it is a perfect example of statements which although not quite dovetailing can be used to corroborate a particular event.

Len Port remembers things neither mentioned by the other two participants.  He also gives a picture of nothing appearing to happen in one front as far as the police were concerned and on another which was a hive of activity as they searched out for Madeleine.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2018, 05:51:26 PM »
It probably was Len Port.    I was thinking of this from Yvonne Martins statement -

Meanwhile a fourth individual came towards the group and identified himself as a journalist. The witness alerted the couple to the type of statements they should give and that it would be better for them to keep silent.

After he said this,  they went off discuss what he had said and then decided not to say anymore to Yvonee Martin.  So it was the journalists advice that caused them not to speak to Yvonne Martin.

No, it was the witness (Mrs Martin) who told the couple to keep silent when Len Port arrived. She advised them not to speak to him.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Brietta

« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2018, 05:57:07 PM »
No, it was the witness (Mrs Martin) who told the couple to keep silent when Len Port arrived. She advised them not to speak to him.

To whom and when did Len Port make his suggestion?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Online Eleanor

« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2018, 06:02:14 PM »

Can we have a Cite for that, please.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2018, 06:18:32 PM »
Can we have a Cite for that, please.

I bolded the cite in Lace's post, to which I was replying.The 'witness' is the person giving the statement; Mrs Martin;

The witness alerted the couple to the type of statements they should give and that it would be better for them to keep silent.
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/YVONNE-WARREN-MARTIN.htm
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2018, 06:54:14 PM »
To whom and when did Len Port make his suggestion?

What suggestion?

Both he and the social worker were playing catch up in my opinion. Both mention the British Consul, with Len Port doing a bit of name dropping;

I said I could help there too as I knew the staff at the Consulate and had just spoken to one of them on the phone.
 http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/press/86june14/LenPort_June2014.htm

Gerry McCann needed no help to contact the Consulate. He spoke to Angela Morado from the Consulate for 5 minutes when she called him at half past midnight the night before; for over 2 minutes at ten to one  and for almost 4 minutes at a quarter past nine.

He called her too, and spoke; for almost 2 minutes at one fifteen; for almost 5 minutes at a quarter past seven; for almost 2 minutes at twenty five to nine and for almost 5 minutes at ten to nine.
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/TIME_LINE_INFORMATION.htm

Result = happy posting.

Offline Lace

« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2018, 09:42:15 AM »
I bolded the cite in Lace's post, to which I was replying.The 'witness' is the person giving the statement; Mrs Martin;

The witness alerted the couple to the type of statements they should give and that it would be better for them to keep silent.

So it was Yvonne Martin who told the McCann's to be careful what they said.

I find Yvonne Martins statements to be quite odd,   at first she's chatting away to the McCann's then as soon as they decide not to speak to her anymore,   her statement seems to get quite different,   she says that she recognises David Payne,   describes him as having a scar on his face [does he?]  and that the McCann's were aggressive before she showed her credentials,  she doesn't say that at first.   

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2018, 01:56:47 PM »
13 hours since she went missing - it was 10am - truth in that statement and it connects to Smithman again LOL. Smithman corroborates everything!

"At this point, Kate told her that her daughter had disappeared 13 hours ago. It was about 10 in the morning."
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline jassi

« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2018, 02:01:57 PM »
Puzzling (to me anyway) why Kate should specify 13 hours rather than just saying 'last night'
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 02:07:57 PM by jassi »
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Erngath

« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2018, 02:08:45 PM »
Puzzling (to me anyway) my Kate should specify 13 hours rather than just saying 'last night'

I would imagine that each hour passing since Madeleine had disappeared was firmly established in her mind.
As each hour passed her worry and fear would increase and each passing hour would be well noted IMO.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline jassi

« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2018, 02:16:59 PM »
I would imagine that each hour passing since Madeleine had disappeared was firmly established in her mind.
As each hour passed her worry and fear would increase and each passing hour would be well noted IMO.

But apparently she'd got it wrong - out by an hour  8)-)))

I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Erngath

« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2018, 02:24:11 PM »
But apparently she'd got it wrong - out by an hour  8)-)))

Was that deliberately wrong or confused wrong?

Just curious to know what the emoticon signifies?
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2018, 02:33:20 PM »
Puzzling (to me anyway) why Kate should specify 13 hours rather than just saying 'last night'
We only have some other woman's word for it, maybe she misheard or misremembered?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline jassi

« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2018, 03:17:33 PM »
Was that deliberately wrong or confused wrong?

Just curious to know what the emoticon signifies?

I'm smiling at your impression that every hour was pressing on her.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 03:22:53 PM by jassi »

Or maybe not -