Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius to have psychiatric evaluation as part of the trial.  (Read 6347 times)

Offline Mr Moderator

Defense witness Dr. Merryll Vorster, a forensic psychiatrist, testified that the athlete suffers from generalized anxiety disorder, which may have had an impact on his actions when he shot Steenkamp –- prompting Prosecutor Gerrie Nel to contend that Pistorius be sent for mental observation.

In granting the application, Judge Thokozile Masipa said she realizes the 30-day observation period will cause further delays in the trial, but that it wasn't about anybody's convenience, it was about serving the interest of justice.

Pistorius will be assessed as an outpatient, meaning he will be able to go home each day and won’t have to spend weekends in the facility.

The trial is set to resume on June 30.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:08:58 PM by John »

Offline Tim Invictus

Kin' hell. Pistorius won't even start his sidekick evaluation until 26th May; I thought he had already completed a week of the 30 days!

The court starts again on 30th June and Oscar will be an outpatient in the meantime so again he escapes detention! Justice delayed is justice denied!

Why is the law always so frigging slow!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:12:53 PM by John »

Offline Anna

Link not working.............................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhmN5yBGG-I

Back on the 30th June 2014 when all decisions from Doctors examining him, on an out patient basis, will be presented to the court .

The decision on his mental awareness at the time of the crime will then be judged.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:39:09 AM by Anna »
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline Anna

http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/oscar%20pistorius

The decision by Judge Thokozile Masipa followed a request for a psychiatric evaluation by chief prosecutor Gerrie Nel.

Weskoppys Hospital where he will be evaluated

Edited duplicate liink
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 12:21:25 PM by Anna »
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline John

Evaluating Pistorius' mental health NOW is hardly relevant to what it was before the killing of Reeva Steenkamp or am I missing something here?

If he had long term mental health issues before he shot Reeva then there would be a record of it or is the prosecutor trying to say he hid it?  Anyone could be forgiven for thinking that there is an element of farce creeping into this showcase trial.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 10:10:44 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Tim Invictus

Evaluating Pistorius' mental health NOW is hardly relevant to what it was before the killing of Reeva Steenkamp or am I missing something here?

If he had long term mental health issues before he shot Reeva then there would be a record of it or is the prosecutor trying to say he hid it?  Anyone could be forgiven for thinking that there is an element of farce creeping into this showcase trial.

I don't get it either John. Of course OP is depressed and anxious ..... he faces possible life in prison and everyone has said his defence was a pile of pants! Exactly the same with Shrien Dewai!

Unless there is evidence of mental illness at or prior to the alleged offence, what is the point?

Gerrie Nel and the state don't buy it for one second but they have to respond to prevent an appeal on the mental health issue.

Offline John

Oscar Pistorius Trial: What Are Doctors Looking for in his General Anxiety Evaluation?

The Oscar Pistorius trial is currently on break after a psychiatrist diagnosed the so-called Blade Runner with generalized anxiety disorder

Judge Thokozile Masipa ordered a 30-day evaluation of Pistorius after the diagnosis.

Pistorius is finishing up his fourth week of being evaluated.

Dr. Charles Sophy told HLNTV that doctors should be able to tell by now whether Pistorius has the disorder or not.

“Most of the traits that exhibit themselves for a generalized anxiety disorder will come out in things that not only will be tested for in psychological testing, such as concentration, pulse control, mood, those kinds of things,” he said.

www.theepochtimes.com/n3/719732-oscar-pistorius-trial-what-are-doctors-looking-for-in-general-anxiety-evaluation/
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:30:05 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline colombosstogey

I believe he has been found SANE at time of shooting.

Offline Tim Invictus

I believe he has been found SANE at time of shooting.

Let's hope the trial runs swiftly now and OP pays heavily for killing Reeva!

Offline Brietta

Let's hope the trial runs swiftly now and OP pays heavily for killing Reeva!

Gerrie Nel has at a stroke cut off one avenue for appeal.  I think Oscar should be making preparations for a long stay in prison.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline sika

Am I right in thinking that the defence have accepted the expert opinion, that Pistorius was not suffering from any anxiety disorder?

Offline Tim Invictus

Am I right in thinking that the defence have accepted the expert opinion, that Pistorius was not suffering from any anxiety disorder?

Defence Advocate Roux said he wants time to study the final report on OP. 

Offline Tim Invictus

Hmmmmm how does that work!

Page 31 Of the psychiatric report:

OP did not suffer from a mental defect or mental illness at the time of the commission of the OFFENCE!

and

Mr. Pistorius was capable of appreciating the wrongfulness of his act!

How can they write those lines when OP has not been found guilty yet?

Sometimes the court and even the judge talk like the verdict is a foregone conclusion .... if I was Roux, I would be jumping up at every reference to guilt that hasn't been proved yet!

Offline sika

Hmmmmm how does that work!

Page 31 Of the psychiatric report:

OP did not suffer from a mental defect or mental illness at the time of the commission of the OFFENCE!

and

Mr. Pistorius was capable of appreciating the wrongfulness of his act!

How can they write those lines when OP has not been found guilty yet?

Sometimes the court and even the judge talk like the verdict is a foregone conclusion .... if I was Roux, I would be jumping up at every reference to guilt that hasn't been proved yet!
Is it because he has admitted to manslaughter, I wonder?

Offline sika

Defence Advocate Roux said he wants time to study the final report on OP.
That's interesting!  The BBC reported that it had been accepted by the defence.  I thought that sounded odd, hence I posed the question.