Author Topic: Why did THE TAPAS 7 ALL lock their back doors but the Mccanns left theirs open  (Read 28869 times)

Offline Luz

Red, you keep on about why did the Mccanns keep their one door unlocked when apparantly the others locked theirs

I gave several good reason s way back in post number 33

sadie
Red, imo

1) the alleyway was dark and rather creepy to go along at night, especially for women checking

2)  The back of the flats was a dark quiet place to leave a door unlocked and as you correctly say the patio door had no locking  from the outside..  It would have ben vulnerable to burglars.

3) the Mccanns didn't have to go along any dark alleyways, and the rear entrance was well lit by the street lamp on the pavement opposite.  Their rear entrance was basically on the street.  Burglars would have to be crazy to consider going in that way when it was so well lit and overlooked by peeps in  the tapas area.

4) It was by far the most convenient route for the Mccanns.  Their walk to the front door was further than ony of the others.

5)  For the Mccanns the front door wasn't a "nice" route, especially for womeen.  The doorway was deeply recessed, out of sight and it was in pitch blackness.  I feel sure it was reported that the porch light was broken.  Pls correct me if i am wrong

6)  I have a feeling that Matt used the back patio door to his apartment the once, but I haven't checked the rogs so pls correct me if I am wrong.  Certainly on the Mccann reconstruction he appears from the direction of the alleyway.

Hope this sorts it out for you.  there are probably other reasons that i haven't yet picked up upon.

Why are you ignoring them?

The McCann never left the back door opened. That allegation only appeared after the police published there was no forced entry in the front door. If you read G.McCann testimonies he said that he used the front door with the key, even when he was in a urge to go to the WC. Only later did it become convenient to imply that the back door was not locked.

You see, it's all this incongruousness that makes it imperatif for the McCann to come clean if they want a re-opening of the investigation (which we know they don't).

Offline Luz

Which WE ALL KNOW they don't (if the McCann wanted to keep the investigation running they could have asked so for 20 days after the publishing of the AG report) and since then at any time, as long as they provided just a shred of evidence that they would co-operate, just by saying so by e-mail or a registered letter.

But the OP is why did they leave the door opened. There is no proof they ever did leave it open but for their own testimony which arrived rather late, after all the other possibilities of entering the apartment by a stranger were proved impossible - no jemmied window and no forced front door.

Now, even if some (many) people accuse the McCann of bad parenting for leaving the children alone while going for dinner, how many of those people would believe they would leave a door to the apartment open. A door that leads directly to the main street by a small gate that doesn't lock? A gate that is not visible from the place where they were just like the balcony door also wasn't. Even if you believe they are highly negligent parents, can you believe they would leave their children in an unlocked apartment from where their kids could get out without anybody of the group noticing?!

Furthermore, Gerald McCann proved to be a scrooge when demanding a lowering on the price of the apartment because there was no listening service as he was lead to believe by his friend Payne, would such a person leave his belongings alongside his kids in an open apartment?! - Yes, I am speculating. But think about it.

Offline Mrs. B

Oops. Repeated below
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:32:35 AM by Mrs. B »

Offline Mrs. B

No, that's another myth, as far as the AG's archiving report reads, nobody could request the re-opening of the investigation without providing NEW evidence to support their reasons for requesting it.

Nevertheless, anyone who feels unsatisfied about the epilogue of the investigations, will have the possibility to react against it, having the possibility of eventually changing that epilogue, by prompting diligences based on new evidence, as long as that person has the legitimacy to request them and the requested diligences are serious, pertinent and consequent. They may do so in three ways: by requesting the reopening of the inquiry, under article 279, number 1 of the Penal Process Code; by appealing hierarchically against this dispatch under number 2 of article 278, or in another case, under number 2 of article 279 of the Penal Process Code, or by requesting the opening of the instruction under article 287, number 1, item b, of the Penal Process Code.

Finally, it should be noted that an archiving decision may be a fair decision, although of the possible justice, and, especially, to underline heavily that the archiving of the present files does not equal a definite and irreversible closing of the process. This process, as long as the prescription deadline for the possibly committed crimes does reach its term, and if new evidence that justifies it, appears, can always be reopened, officiously or through the request of an assistant, again ordinate to a final decision of accusation or non accusation.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/LEGAL_SUMMARY.htm

Later repeated in another official statement in 2009

Following last week’s brief visit to Portugal by the father of missing toddler Madeleine McCann, the Portuguese Attorney General’s office has said that the case would only be reopened if “new facts” arose.

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/view/994-14

As for leaving the door unlocked, if they felt it safe enough to leave the children, they would have felt it safe enough to leave their possessions. It's a common mistake tourists make, regardless of how many times they've been warned, they still do it.

Offline John

It's time to clarify a few things here.  Firstly the patio door (singular) was not lft open...it was closed but unlocked.  Secondly, Matt used the door without a key thus evidencing that it was unlocked.

Somebody posted a few days ago that they felt that the McCanns had been lured into a false sense of security by their serene surroundings.  I agree.  They saw the tapas bar from their balcony and assumed that their balcony could be seen from the tapas bar.  What they didn't realise was that you couldn't properly see through the plastic screen windows.

I also blame Mark Warner for not giving adequate advisements to guests in respect of security.  I justify this by adding that there had been other break-ins at the resort prior to the Tapas-9 arrival and it was the responsibility of the hotel management to alert guests to theses goings on.  I also blame Mark Warner for their obvious lapse in security.  Where was the security guard?

My own view is that Mark Warner and Ocean Club let the McCanns down very badly.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 03:15:05 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

registrar

It's time to clarify a few things here.  Firstly the patio door (singular) was not lft open...it was closed but unlocked.  Secondly, Matt used the door without a key thus evidencing that it was unlocked.

Somebody posted a few days ago that they felt that the McCanns had been lured into a false sense of security by their serene surroundings.  I agree.  They saw the tapas bar from their balcony and assumed that their balcony could be seen from the tapas bar.  What they didn't realise was that you couldn't properly see through the plastic screen windows.

I also blame Mark Warner for not giving adequate advisements to guests in respect of security.  I justify this by adding that there had been other break-ins at the resort prior to the Tapas-9 arrival and it was the responsibility of the hotel management to alert guests to theses goings on.  I also blame Mark Warner for their obvious lapse in security.  Where was the security guard?

spot on

Bell Pottinger were brought in by Mark Warner within 24 hrs of the disappearance

Nothing to do with the McCanns

Damage limitation writ large

Offline Benice

Yes I agree with that.  Especially as the tour operators were already aware of a spate of incidents in which an intruder had entered holiday apartments at night and molested children in their own beds.    The tour operators had chosen to keep this information 'confidential' - (for obvious reasons).

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Redblossom

Yes I agree with that.  Especially as the tour operators were already aware of a spate of incidents in which an intruder had entered holiday apartments at night and molested children in their own beds.    The tour operators had chosen to keep this information 'confidential' - (for obvious reasons).

What do you suggest they should have said to thousands upon thousands of tourists then when booking their holidays, every year?

amaraltheofficeboy

Why did THE TAPAS 7 ALL lock their back doors but the Mccanns left theirs op

the Mccans had an entrance gate and stairs to their ground floor balcony.

Did the other tapas group have that too?

Offline John

What do you suggest they should have said to thousands upon thousands of tourists then when booking their holidays, every year?

THE TRUTH for a start and should have had a security guard patrol at the resort for another.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 01:36:36 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

amaraltheofficeboy

maybe red will answer this.

Offline Benice

They could have installed CCTV for a start. 

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline sadie

Zooming in close up on GE it appears that all the ground floor apartments had a gate.  But in their case, they all opened on to a dark alleyway, whilst The Mccanns appartment opened on to a lit street, with a street light opposite illuminating the rear entrance.  Quite a difference!

Certainly the women  wouldn't want to walk along a quiet dark alleyway

registrar

Zooming in close up on GE it appears that all the ground floor apartments had a gate.  But in their case, they all opened on to a dark alleyway, whilst The Mccanns appartment opened on to a lit street, with a street light opposite illuminating the rear entrance.  Quite a difference!

In Sadie's world - are all women afraid of the dark - as almost by default?

Offline sadie

In Sadie's world - are all women afraid of the dark - as almost by default?
Well I am ... in unfamiliar public places ... and even familiar places if there is a man around on his own, especially if they are walking behind me..  I always keep an eye on them and cross the street away from them.  Even walk up drive ways to get away from them.  I like them in front of me, where I can see them.

..... But I have experienced a man trying to pull me into a car, and I have experienced several flashers and a man try and grab me from my bicycle ... all when I was younger and a bit of a looker.  Now I drive everywhere, but I still look around me before I get out.  Maybe I am too cautious?

I am not alone; other women are like me.  That I know

I would NEVER go down a dimly lit alleyway.  Asking for trouble.