Author Topic: Sceptics beliefs ?  (Read 241762 times)

Offline Robittybob1

Re: Sceptics beliefs ?
« Reply #1095 on: April 16, 2019, 12:00:46 AM »
Are you allowed to say that another poster "is somewhat arrogant", just because it is expressed as an opinion?
there are so many words and different ways of saying things, it would be impossible to make rulings on all situations.  The words "is somewhat arrogant" would probably get through.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1096 on: April 16, 2019, 12:03:28 AM »
A very personal post was directed at me on this thread a few days ago.
It's a pity this advice was not applicable in that instance?
Some topics are very active and the occasional post will get through.  Everyone has the option of reporting a post themselves.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1097 on: April 16, 2019, 12:07:00 AM »
there are so many words and different ways of saying things, it would be impossible to make rulings on all situations.  The words "is somewhat arrogant" would probably get through.

So I can call another poster "somewhat arrogant"?
Make personal comments?
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1098 on: April 16, 2019, 12:11:45 AM »
Some topics are very active and the occasional post will get through.  Everyone has the option of reporting a post themselves.

I believed it would be removed without my reporting it.
However as you seem to suggest that the wording was acceptable, there would have been no point.
I will remember for future reference that my opinions on other posters can be expressed.
Possibly the use of the word "somewhat" before the adjective does seem to make it more acceptable.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1099 on: April 16, 2019, 12:39:09 AM »
However as you seem to suggest that the wording was acceptable, there would have been no point.
I will remember for future reference that my opinions on other posters can be expressed.
Possibly the use of the word "somewhat" before the adjective does seem to make it more acceptable.
I'm not the most active moderator, so don't feel despondent.  If a post offends you report it.
Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1100 on: April 16, 2019, 03:50:30 AM »
What I'm looking for is that the criticism is against the things being said, rather than against the person saying them.  Half the time I don't try or understand the argument or care about your view as long as it isn't ad hominem, abusive or harassment.
Moderation

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1101 on: April 16, 2019, 08:58:15 AM »

You may be convinced that asking for a review is a sign that the McCanns are innocent and that their purpose was to continue the investigation into their missing child but those are your beliefs, not facts. I find it somewhat arrogant whenever someone presents their beliefs as if they were facts.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1102 on: April 16, 2019, 09:30:11 AM »
You may be convinced that asking for a review is a sign that the McCanns are innocent and that their purpose was to continue the investigation into their missing child but those are your beliefs, not facts. I find it somewhat arrogant whenever someone presents their beliefs as if they were facts.

I think it's a fact... Based on the evidence.. That the McCann's are not suspects in either investigation.....As I don't see any new, evidence against them arising I don't see that situation changing... I don't see that as arrogant

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1103 on: April 16, 2019, 09:31:01 AM »

What do you believe they were doing?

A straight to the point succinct answer would be gratefully received as it would help rule out the chance you might suffer from the misrepresentation you claimed from future discussion.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1104 on: April 16, 2019, 09:32:03 AM »

When you made the original post accusing me of believing that I am always right and "somewhat  arrogant", I did reply that I found your post inappropriate.
Even though you read my response and noted it, you now repeat your somewhat offensive accusation..

Not only that but you choose to start a days discussion by repeating your accusation.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:53:37 AM by Erngath »

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1105 on: April 16, 2019, 09:34:04 AM »
Look I've been called arrogant too in the past, and I recall not even knowing what that meant. 
"arrogant

adjective
having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.
"he's arrogant and opinionated""

Somewhat could be even to the smallest degree.  So it isn't a harsh criticism to call someone "somewhat arrogant" in the correct circumstances, IMO.   
Moderation

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1106 on: April 16, 2019, 09:34:13 AM »
I think it's a fact... Based on the evidence.. That the McCann's are not suspects in either investigation.....As I don't see any new, evidence against them arising I don't see that situation changing... I don't see that as arrogant

Indeed.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1107 on: April 16, 2019, 09:35:09 AM »
Look I've been called arrogant too in the past, and I recall not even knowing what that meant. 
"arrogant

adjective

Somewhat could be even to the smallest degree.  So it isn't a harsh criticism to call someone "somewhat arrogant" in the correct circumstances, IMO.   

You continue to encourage name calling in my opinion.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1108 on: April 16, 2019, 09:35:28 AM »
"arrogant

adjective

I will bear that in mind when replying to posts

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1109 on: April 16, 2019, 09:37:02 AM »
I also believe the McCann's are innocent and therefore believe anyone who disagrees with that is, wrong
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:39:15 AM by Davel »