Author Topic: Sun's Nick Pisa refers to Gonçalo Amaral as a "Poisonous Liar".  (Read 39716 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Sun's Nick Pisa refers to Gonçalo Amaral as a "Poisonous Liar".
« Reply #225 on: November 09, 2018, 08:47:38 PM »
Apart from a few official announcements the Express didn't print quotes from the Portuguese Police, they repeated stories taken from the Portuguese media which were purported to have come from the Portuguese Police. Hill admitted that in his evidence;

However, the Portuguese police, because of the rules in Portugal which forbid them from commenting on cases, resorted to leaking all manner of information to the Portuguese media and this was where we went wrong of course because we picked up these stories.
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmselect/cmcumeds/362/9042803.htm

So he wasn't relying on the credibility of the Police, he was relying on the credibility of the Portuguese Press. Nevertheless he still blames the Police and insults them by referring to them as behaving like 'tinpot Ruritanian idiots'.

I'm not sure he was relying on  anything aside from column inches with "Maddie" at the top of the search engines.

There's also a certain xenophobic tendency to take into account in UK tabloids...

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #226 on: November 09, 2018, 09:03:13 PM »
I'm not sure he was relying on  anything aside from column inches with "Maddie" at the top of the search engines.

There's also a certain xenophobic tendency to take into account in UK tabloids...

Which some of their readership seem to share. It's quite incomprehensible to me, I'm afraid.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #227 on: November 09, 2018, 09:39:23 PM »
It's a fact.

As an email from a friend who was a strong early supporter, now very elderly and retired from discussions, proved to me only about three weeks ago

His daughter and son in law had come across some Amaral propaganda and had fallen for it.  They had very nearly persuaded him too.

I soon told him about some of the actual facts and additionally showed how many of the senior PJ were provern liars / criminals and he realised what was happening.   

A great big propaganda and disinformation assault on The Mccanns has taken place.  Still is.

And unfortunately the lies seem to be winning over the facts.

The propaganda in this case is abduction with no proof. Somebody saying that happened doesn't mean it's true. It's only true if you want it to be with no evidence - like you claiming a photo of Bushra was Madeleine.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:36:56 PM by John »
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Carana

« Reply #228 on: November 09, 2018, 11:10:44 PM »
Which some of their readership seem to share. It's quite incomprehensible to me, I'm afraid.

It's the old argument  of whether the media cater to the bias of their readership, or whether the public is attracted to what the media publishes.

For a long time, my staple was the IHT so I really wasn't used to the tabloid press. It took a while until it dawned on me that tabloids didn't feel bound by the usual journalistic ethics. Makes me feel old,  when I think back.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #229 on: November 09, 2018, 11:57:11 PM »
Daily Express editor Peter Hill defends Madeleine McCann coverage
Snip

At the time the Daily Express regarded the police as a credible source of information, he added. "I didn't know that they were behaving like tinpot Ruritanian idiots," Hill said.

"I accept that we did libel Mr and Mrs McCann because under the law, we clearly didn't tell the truth about them," he said.

Madeleine McCann's disappearance generated huge amounts of public interest, with the Express receiving 10,000 messages a day about the story and its sales increasing by many thousands of copies each time an article about the missing child appeared on the front page, Hill added.

"You have got to remember that this was the most astonishing chain of events. Nothing comparable to this had been seen since the Lindberg kidnapping in 1932," he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2009/apr/28/daily-express-peter-hill-mps

Peter Hill was talking about 10 years ago. Do you have anything more recent ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #230 on: November 10, 2018, 12:01:47 AM »
Apart from a few official announcements the Express didn't print quotes from the Portuguese Police, they repeated stories taken from the Portuguese media which were purported to have come from the Portuguese Police. Hill admitted that in his evidence;

However, the Portuguese police, because of the rules in Portugal which forbid them from commenting on cases, resorted to leaking all manner of information to the Portuguese media and this was where we went wrong of course because we picked up these stories.
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmselect/cmcumeds/362/9042803.htm

So he wasn't relying on the credibility of the Police, he was relying on the credibility of the Portuguese Press. Nevertheless he still blames the Police and insults them by referring to them as behaving like 'tinpot Ruritanian idiots'.

What has always puzzled me is that if the articles were not true why would they have needed to be leaked ? Couldn’t the journalists simply have made them up ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #231 on: November 10, 2018, 08:17:28 AM »
What has always puzzled me is that if the articles were not true why would they have needed to be leaked ? Couldn’t the journalists simply have made them up ?

The UK journalists didn't just take the stories from the Portuguese press and print them verbatim. According to 
Clarence Mitchell. They changed them and exaggerated them;

Something that was even often just a suggestion or an allegation, unsourced in the Portuguese press, by the time it found its way across the Channel, had become hardened up into fact with an extra scare headline or whatever on top of it. That is where the real problems started because these things would end up in the cuttings file and would become an accepted fact in the story when in fact they were complete distortions in many cases or entirely untrue in others.
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmselect/cmcumeds/362/9031008.htm
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #232 on: November 11, 2018, 06:04:21 AM »

But was Amaral a Poisonous Liar?  Personally, I think that description is a bit over the top, but he was definitely a bit of a Fibber.

I don't know why, but I doubt that it was anything to do with his Honour, unless he feels that The PJ treated him badly, despite not sacking him when he was convicted of Perjury.

So is Amaral's main gripe against The PJ and not The McCanns at all?

Offline barrier

« Reply #233 on: November 11, 2018, 08:32:12 AM »
But was Amaral a Poisonous Liar?  Personally, I think that description is a bit over the top, but he was definitely a bit of a Fibber.

I don't know why, but I doubt that it was anything to do with his Honour, unless he feels that The PJ treated him badly, despite not sacking him when he was convicted of Perjury.

So is Amaral's main gripe against The PJ and not The McCanns at all?

I suspect those who refer to him as a "poisonous liar" do so because of a position they can,nothing to do with actually knowing it.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #234 on: November 11, 2018, 08:34:09 AM »

Why were SY searching for her remains in 2014 then?
Cite needed for “searching for her remains”.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #235 on: November 11, 2018, 08:48:41 AM »

Why were SY searching for her remains in 2014 then?

This is by the by.  Police do search scrubland and often find nothing.  It is part of the process and should have been done by The PJ much sooner.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #236 on: November 11, 2018, 08:50:37 AM »
I suspect those who refer to him as a "poisonous liar" do so because of a position they can,nothing to do with actually knowing it.

It is a matter of Opinion, to which we are all entitled.

Offline barrier

« Reply #237 on: November 11, 2018, 09:11:35 AM »
Cite needed for “searching for her remains”.

To paraphrase a reply from your good self the other day,Oh! FGS.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline barrier

« Reply #238 on: November 11, 2018, 09:36:06 AM »
It is a matter of Opinion, to which we are all entitled.

One can have one,but as to one is entitled is a different matter.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #239 on: November 11, 2018, 09:37:07 AM »
To paraphrase a reply from your good self the other day,Oh! FGS.
You asked me for a cite that I have given a million times before which confirmed the veracity of my post, hence my exasperation .  You will be unable to provide a cite to prove the veracity of yours, so you are not entitled to FGS me.  8(>((
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly