Author Topic: Dog Alerts- Evidence or not?  (Read 172525 times)

Offline The General

Re: Dog Alerts- Evidence or not?
« Reply #1770 on: July 25, 2020, 08:33:22 PM »
the remains are to confirm the alerts...they will of course provide evidence to name the victim...you corrected my typing....not my spelling
That's pretty metaphysical. Is a mis-typed word misspelled? If we use the example of 'autocorrect', it doesn't discriminate, it just provides the correct spelling. But if the user knows it's mis-typed and knows the correct spelling, then from their point of view it's right, but to the onlooker it's wrong.
I do know that philosophy wouldn't wash in a spelling contest.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1771 on: July 25, 2020, 08:33:35 PM »
he hasnt shown to an acceptable scientific standard that the alerts are to cadaver odour

I think you put too much faith in science. Not all science is exact and not all scientists are objective.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20150512-can-we-trust-forensic-science
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1772 on: July 25, 2020, 08:37:19 PM »
I think you put too much faith in science. Not all science is exact and not all scientists are objective.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20150512-can-we-trust-forensic-science

I dont put to much faith in science at all ...you are quite wrong. Science might not be perfect but its the best we've got. All the drugs we take to keep us alive are based on scientific testing,...you are quite wrong to try and discredit it

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1773 on: July 25, 2020, 08:38:50 PM »
he hasnt shown to an acceptable scientific standard that the alerts are to cadaver odour
He does know his dogs aren't infallible.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1774 on: July 25, 2020, 08:39:49 PM »
He does know his dogs aren't infallible.

it needs more than grimes opinion...it needs evidence...robust evidence

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1775 on: July 25, 2020, 08:42:39 PM »
it needs more than grimes opinion...it needs evidence...robust evidence
Look, even then it wouldn't meet your standard IMO.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1776 on: July 25, 2020, 08:44:50 PM »
Look, even then it wouldn't meet your standard IMO.

It needs to meet scientific standards..not my standards

Offline The General

« Reply #1777 on: July 25, 2020, 08:48:06 PM »
then if you cant provide a cite I cant critically examine it...thats a scientific principle...I suspect it may not even exist
It does, but it took about 4 minutes to find last time; 4 minutes I simply do not have at the moment, I'm typing crap on the internet.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1778 on: July 25, 2020, 08:49:33 PM »
It needs to meet scientific standards..not my standards
Are they definable.  Grime would already claim his standard was scientific.  95% accurrate.
Moderation

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1779 on: July 25, 2020, 08:49:57 PM »
It does, but it took about 4 minutes to find last time; 4 minutes I simply do not have at the moment, I'm typing crap on the internet.

i would challenge you that he says nothing different to what he said re the Gilroy case

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1780 on: July 25, 2020, 08:51:52 PM »
Are they definable.  Grime would already claim his standard was scientific.  95% accurrate.

I thought you were  a scientist...of course they are definable...Grime is not a scientist and has no scientific qualifications..hes  a dog handler

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1781 on: July 25, 2020, 08:54:16 PM »
I thought you were  a scientist...of course they are definable...Grime is not a scientist and has no scientific qualifications..hes  a dog handler
That is a bit harsh.  He could start off as a dog handler and work his way up to become a dog scientist.
Moderation

Offline The General

« Reply #1782 on: July 25, 2020, 08:57:06 PM »
And you'd have Cockney Rhyme issues as well.  e.g "Dog and bone" means "telephone".
It's an interesting premise; but you would have to attempt to consider this from the perspective of an, I'm assuming, highly trained, somewhat anthropomorphised, sentient canine, trained, kept and worked against it's will, despite it's remonstrations to its captor and, given it's apparent ability to elucidate this, one would then have to consider how accurate an alert may be in those circumstances (pressed men and all that, albeit, in this case, pressed canine). With this in mind, then consider how disposed the dog would be to be in a stable state of mind to want to voluntarily engage in slang of any kind, given it's repressed circumstance.
Good point though.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1783 on: July 25, 2020, 08:58:12 PM »
That is a bit harsh.  He could start off as a dog handler and work his way up to become a dog scientist.

it isnt harsh..its  a fact. Claiming to have detected cadaver odour in an apartment with no proof to support it is more than harsh...it irresponsible...but of course grime hasnt claimed its confirmed

Offline The General

« Reply #1784 on: July 25, 2020, 09:00:31 PM »
I think we can safely state that he is preeminent in his field and his advice  / talents / dogs are much sought after.