Author Topic: Dog Alerts- Evidence or not?  (Read 170942 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Dog Alerts- Evidence or not?
« Reply #1815 on: July 26, 2020, 07:12:09 PM »
I'm a moderator here so I'll hardly ignore you especially if you're being wry.

wry

adjective
using or expressing dry, especially mocking, humour.
"a wry smile"
Similar:
ironic
sardonic
satirical
mocking
scoffing
sneering

Is being ironic against forum rules then

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1816 on: July 26, 2020, 10:08:02 PM »
I'm a moderator here so I'll hardly ignore you especially if you're being wry.

wry

adjective
using or expressing dry, especially mocking, humour.
"a wry smile"
Similar:
ironic
sardonic
satirical
mocking
scoffing
sneering
I’m still waiting for a warning for being wry and writing “excuses, excuses”.  Surely that’s against forum rules?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1817 on: July 26, 2020, 10:49:25 PM »
I’m still waiting for a warning for being wry and writing “excuses, excuses”.  Surely that’s against forum rules?

Are you sure you want to own up to being wry?

"Wry" evolved from a meaning of "to twist". Applied to humor, it refers to humor that is bitterly or disdainfully ironic or amusing; distorted or perverted in meaning; warped, misdirected, or perverse; words that are unsuitable or wrong; scornful and mocking in a humorous way--it covers a lot of territory
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/384686/what-is-the-difference-between-wry-and-dry-humor
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1818 on: July 26, 2020, 10:52:43 PM »
Are you sure you want to own up to being wry?

"Wry" evolved from a meaning of "to twist". Applied to humor, it refers to humor that is bitterly or disdainfully ironic or amusing; distorted or perverted in meaning; warped, misdirected, or perverse; words that are unsuitable or wrong; scornful and mocking in a humorous way--it covers a lot of territory
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/384686/what-is-the-difference-between-wry-and-dry-humor
Yes and I want to own up to being the Devil Incarnate too.  Please add “wry” to my list of crimes against humanity, thanks.

PS have you nothing better to do than google “wry” in an attempt to have a go at me?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 10:55:52 PM by Vertigo Swirl »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1819 on: July 26, 2020, 11:01:28 PM »
Is being ironic against forum rules then
Being sarcastic definitely is - I’ve had a warning for it before so I would suggest reporting any instances of sarcasm you see on the forum going forward, irony is probably frowned on too, and as for wryness, well I wouldn’t risk it if I were you....

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1820 on: July 27, 2020, 12:36:23 AM »
Being sarcastic definitely is - I’ve had a warning for it before so I would suggest reporting any instances of sarcasm you see on the forum going forward, irony is probably frowned on too, and as for wryness, well I wouldn’t risk it if I were you....
It would be a matter of recognising wryness.  I had to look up the meaning of the word for a starter.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Billy Whizz Fan Club

« Reply #1821 on: July 27, 2020, 12:43:31 AM »
Excuses, excuses.

No need for any excuses. The dogs alerted in 5A.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1822 on: July 27, 2020, 12:51:57 AM »
But was it anything to do with Madeleine McCann?  That is the question not answered by the test results so far.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1823 on: July 27, 2020, 07:10:48 AM »
But that wasn’t what I was commenting on (wryly).

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1824 on: July 27, 2020, 08:14:57 AM »
It would be a matter of recognising wryness.  I had to look up the meaning of the word for a starter.

The definition I found suggests a post that's bitter abd twisted, scornful, mocking or perverse.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1825 on: July 27, 2020, 08:22:41 AM »
The definition I found suggests a post that's bitter abd twisted, scornful, mocking or perverse.
Now go and read my post which I described as “wry” and tell me if you think it could be described by any of the definitions you’ve selected.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1826 on: July 27, 2020, 08:42:03 AM »
Perhaps one of those pedants * amongst us would like to start a new thread to discuss English grammar and anything else along those lines which takes their fancy.
I am riveted ** to everything 'doggie' as in 'dogs don't etc etc' on this thread ... and really object to it being taken Off Topic.

* pedant
/ˈpɛd(ə)nt/
Learn to pronounce
noun
plural noun: pedants
a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning.
"the royal palace (some pedants would say the ex-royal palace)"
Similar:
dogmatist
purist
literalist
formalist
doctrinaire
precisionist
perfectionist
quibbler
hair-splitter
casuist
sophist
fault-finder
caviller
carper
nitpicker
pettifogger
precisian
Dryasdust

** rivet
/ˈrɪvɪt/
Learn to pronounce
verb
past tense: riveted; past participle: riveted
join or fasten (plates of metal) with a rivet or rivets.
"the linings are bonded, not riveted, to the brake shoes for longer wear"
hold (someone or something) fast so as to make them incapable of movement.
"the grip on her arm was firm enough to rivet her to the spot"
Similar:
fixed
rooted
frozen
unable to move
motionless
unmoving
immobile
stock-still
as still as a statue
as if turned to stone
attract and completely engross (someone).
"he was riveted by the newsreels shown on television"
Similar:
fascinated
engrossed
gripped
captivated
enthralled
intrigued
spellbound
rapt
mesmerized
transfixed
fascinating
gripping
engrossing
very interesting
very exciting
thrilling
absorbing
captivating
enthralling
intriguing
compelling
compulsive
spellbinding
mesmerizing
hypnotic
transfixing
unputdownable
Opposite:
bored
uninterested
boring
dull
direct (one's eyes or attention) intently.
"all eyes were riveted on him"
Similar:
fixed on
fastened on
focused on
concentrated on
pinned on
locked on
directed at
Origin
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1827 on: July 27, 2020, 08:45:42 AM »
Now go and read my post which I described as “wry” and tell me if you think it could be described by any of the definitions you’ve selected.

You described it as wry, but you'd have to explain why, I'm afraid.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1828 on: July 27, 2020, 09:02:57 AM »
You described it as wry, but you'd have to explain why, I'm afraid.
Wow.  5 posts from moderators in the last 24 hours deliberating on my use of the word "wry" to describe my own post.  You can tell things have hit rock bottom and there's nothing else to discuss.

and now I have to explain myself.

I used the word "wry" to give you something to talk about, some ammunition against me, a reason to give me a warning. 

There, will that do now?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 09:05:50 AM by Vertigo Swirl »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1829 on: July 27, 2020, 09:09:38 AM »
Wow.  5 posts from moderators in the last 24 hours deliberating on my use of the word "wry" to describe my own post.  You can tell things have hit rock bottom and there's nothing else to discuss.

and now I have to explain myself.

I used the word "wry" to give you something to talk about, some ammunition against me, a reason to give me a warning. 

There, will that do now?

Why do you crave warnings?
Result = happy posting.