Author Topic: Dog Alerts- Evidence or not?  (Read 170937 times)

Offline jassi

Re: Dog Alerts- Evidence or not?
« Reply #1905 on: May 07, 2021, 01:19:00 PM »
How does The Court do that?  Especially when Expert Witnesses disagree?

Usually come down to the persuasiveness of the lawyers involved -unless a judge gives a a specific direction to the jury to ignore something.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Icanhandlethetruth

« Reply #1906 on: May 07, 2021, 01:20:10 PM »
How does The Court do that?  Especially when Expert Witnesses disagree?

I am not privy to how the court decides if you are competent and expert but I would guess that they look at the expert witnesses' past and decide if he qualifies or not.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1907 on: May 07, 2021, 01:27:15 PM »
Not good enough I'm afraid.  You might as well give up on The Law and leave it to the bark of a dog.  Such a pity they can't talk don't you think?

It may not be good enough for you, but your opinion doesn't count.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1908 on: May 07, 2021, 01:29:29 PM »
It may not be good enough for you, but your opinion doesn't count.

And sadly nor does yours.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1909 on: May 07, 2021, 01:40:02 PM »
And sadly nor does yours.

I wasn't expressing an opinion, I was recounting facts.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1910 on: May 07, 2021, 01:54:06 PM »
Courts which have allowed dog handlers to testify as to what their dogs alerted to.
Courts allow all sorts of unreliable and / or conflicting witnesses to testify so I don't really think it's any sort of validation frankly. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1911 on: May 07, 2021, 01:56:31 PM »
Courts allow all sorts of unreliable and / or conflicting witnesses to testify so I don't really think it's any sort of validation frankly.

It isn't at all because it hasn't been robustly challenged.
LCN DNA was blindly accepted until challenged.  I wonder if lawyers in the two cases in Scotland are aware of what Grime snd Harrison said in Luz
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 02:59:28 PM by Davel »

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1912 on: May 07, 2021, 02:34:49 PM »
Attitudes towards the evidence of dog handlers has changed since 2007. Specifically courts in the USA and Scotland have gradually accepted over time that this evidence can be a useful part of a prosecution case. Cadaver dogs are no longer seen as 'incredibly unreliable', and their alerts are no longer seen as useless without forensic corroberation.
So what specific scientific advances have been made in understanding cadaver dog abilities and accuracy in recent years to enable courts to accept something as reliable that was once considered unreliable?  There must be a reason why they have changed their minds if what you are saying is correct. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1913 on: May 07, 2021, 06:13:17 PM »
So what specific scientific advances have been made in understanding cadaver dog abilities and accuracy in recent years to enable courts to accept something as reliable that was once considered unreliable?  There must be a reason why they have changed their minds if what you are saying is correct.

I think cadaver dog alerts were only considered unreliable by an American judge, a Scottish cardiologist and some ill-informed supporters of the cardiologist.

Result = happy posting.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1914 on: May 07, 2021, 06:19:24 PM »
I think cadaver dog alerts were only considered unreliable by an American judge, a Scottish cardiologist and some ill-informed supporters of the cardiologist.

And an American Dog Handler said that if there is no cadaver odour then dogs will bark at the next best thing like Urine.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1915 on: May 07, 2021, 06:26:02 PM »
And an American Dog Handler said that if there is no cadaver odour then dogs will bark at the next best thing like Urine.

Are you sure he wasn't just taking the p*ss ?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1916 on: May 07, 2021, 06:28:49 PM »
Are you sure he wasn't just taking the p*ss ?

Quite sure.  I watched The Trial.  And it was a woman, by the way.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1917 on: May 07, 2021, 06:35:52 PM »
Ah, I see.  So they’ve always been considered reliable.  Makes you wonder why they’re not used more widely to decide guilt or innocence doesn’t it?  I mean if a dog alerts to a murder suspect’s home / car / effects then that more or less proves he did it right? 

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1918 on: May 07, 2021, 06:52:36 PM »
Given that only one judge, Gerry and his supporters consider dog alerts unreliable why on earth haven’t the McCanns been rrested and charged and why are the Germans ignoring them?  Please explain.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1919 on: May 07, 2021, 06:58:14 PM »
Given that only one judge, Gerry and his supporters consider dog alerts unreliable why on earth haven’t the McCanns been rrested and charged and why are the Germans ignoring them?  Please explain.

Absolutely incredible that we are still talking dogs.  It seems some shibboleths are too dearly held to be given up lightly.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....